Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ttc On Strike!
It's an essential service.
They shouldn't be able to walk off the job.
ANTHONYD,Apr 28 2008, 09:15 AM Wrote:It's an essential service.
They shouldn't be able to walk off the job.
[right][snapback]263065[/snapback][/right]
Technically, they are not an essential service. Having said that, I agree with you that in a city that is not car friendly, the service is essential. The city is worried about the cost of making them essential. Me? I wouldn't mind being essential, stops a lot of worry on the worker's part.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
They should be an essentail service like it is in NYC. as for walking off Friday at midnight no respect at all people were waiting at TTC stops not knowing that they were on strike even Saturday moring i was at a red light and an older guy was at the bus stop so i told him theres on strike and he didn't believe me 15 min later he was still there lol

What happened to the deal that they would give 48 Hour notice why say and promise something if your not going to do it
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
OAC_Sparky,Apr 28 2008, 04:48 AM Wrote:It has nothing to do with skill level, Dan. It has to do with the warranty that comes part and parcel with the equipment purchase. The problem is when the warranty ends, they will need someone to fix the equipment. I'm pretty certain that the maintenance staff is as competent as any to maintain a hybrid bus -- there is no voodoo magic involved -- it's just another application of some of the same mechanical principles. Does a regular bus have a braking system? Charging system? Engine? Of course. So does a hybrid. An electric motor isn't rocket science. Just a little different.
[right][snapback]263055[/snapback][/right]

But then why didn't TTC management get training for their workers written into the contract? Unless it was their plan all along to outsource the work, rather than just an oversight :huh: (or incompetance <_<)

I don't hold management blameless in all this either, but I get the feeling that workers fail to understand at times just how vital they are and how lucky they are that as of yet, they haven't been hit with the "essential service" hammer...

NefCanuck
The sad thing is the bloody TTC wants the public to support it's positioning on the whole matter.

Why should I respect and support a company that *f*u*cks me in the ass every year by walking off the job?

As it is already, I walk every chance I can.

Piss on em'

NefCanuck,Apr 28 2008, 04:10 PM Wrote:But then why didn't TTC management get training for their workers written into the contract?  Unless it was their plan all along to outsource the work, rather than just an oversight :huh: (or incompetance <_<)[right][snapback]263101[/snapback][/right]
Again, a licensed mechanic has all the skills needed to work on hybrids. The amount of training won't be much more than any other new piece of equipment.

It has 100% to do with reducing manpower.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
ZX3_2NV,Apr 28 2008, 11:57 AM Wrote:They should be an essentail service like it is in NYC. as for walking off Friday at midnight no respect at all people were waiting at TTC stops not knowing that they were on strike even Saturday moring i was at a red light and an older guy was at the bus stop so i told him theres on strike and he didn't believe me 15 min later he was still there lol

What happened to the deal that they would give 48 Hour notice why say and promise something if your not going to do it
[right][snapback]263078[/snapback][/right]
the only problem with declaring it an essential service, is it now gives the TTC the right to bidding arbitration, what ever that means.. well in simple, it means they have more power to demand more money now... increase our taxes,... maybe we should look at ALL angles before we decide to declare them an essential service
My other ride is your Mom
interesting tidbit from citynews about dissention within the union...

Quote:The disgruntled union members said to be behind the 'coup against Kinnear' are also accused by insiders of deliberately spreading disinformation about contracting out that led maintenance workers and drivers alike to reject the deal.

TTC brass has adamantly denied that any layoffs are in the offing but union brass loyal to Kinnear suggest the rumours were enough to get the majority to reject an offer that gave drivers a three per cent raise every year over the next three, along with a clause guaranteeing they'd always be the highest paid transit workers in the GTA.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

It doesn't matter which way you cut it, it's still DONKEY BALLS!

The TTC will continue to raise fare prices every 8 months and deliver a less than acceptable product no matter which way this ends up.

They have the commuter / consumer by the nuts and they know it.