Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decided My Mods.
Yes u can depending on how much PSI ur expecting to run if its under 15 psi the stock one will be fine
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,May 1 2008, 09:17 AM Wrote:Yes u can depending on how much PSI ur expecting to run if its under 15 psi the stock one will be fine
[right][snapback]263312[/snapback][/right]
I have the 10lb procharger kit, so great, one less thing to buy. :)
Thanks for the info zx3_2nv.
Procharger: Removed, and waiting for new host.
Future: Genesis Coupe 2.0t.
a mafia is cheaper than an aftermarket maf anyways u lucked out the mafia wasn't out when i 1st tuned
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Good news/bad news on the suspension front.
Good news is that Ford is going to change the rear lower control arms through my extended warranty, bad news is the parts aren't in and they can't get them till Monday. That screws this weekend up as the initial plan was to tackle the suspension this weekend.
The positive side is that since they will be doing the nasty work on the lca, my job will be considerably easier to toss the rest of the saleen suspension kit on.
I've got my wheel/tires at my house, going to get the tires mounted tonight (though they aren't going on the car till the suspension/alignment is done).
whats that? you are getting work done on your car for free? all i heard was good news :)

free plus finish your car a week later sounds way better to me than $$$$$$$$$ now and get the same thing a week earlier
scrap the 17's! did you forget an upgraded clutch and LSD?
[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!
i agree with the LSD.. does that require the tranny to come apart? might as well go all in and get a different gear set and final drive

.. i'd hold off on upgrading clutch to one that can hold more torque unless the setup makes so much torque the clutch slips even when the clutch is fully engaged and in good shape
The 17's are a done deal, I needed a second set of wheels/tires anyways as I commute a long distance everyday and sorely missed having dedicated snow tires this past winter (made for some sweet white knuckle driving).
As for a clutch, I literally just had a brand new one (and a new flywheel and slave) put in by Ford under warranty a few weeks back (see my thread here: http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...pic=23619).
That being said, the 10lb Procharger kit should make mid 190's whp (possibly 200 but 190's is close enough for me and more realistic) and torque in the mid 160 to mid 170 lbs range. I'm fairly certain I read the stock clutch can handle this power easily, is that not true?
As for the lsd, the tranny would definitely need to be pulled in order to toss it in there. I agree that an lsd would be nice, but is it going to happen this year? Probably not.
There will be a whole host of future mods, but I have to keep "Stage 1" at a realistic and achievable goal.
To update the status of the project, the suspension is going on tomorrow night, Ford didn't have the lca parts so its in the shop still.
Wheels/tires are mounted/balanced and ready to go on after the alignment is done. If you saw my rear tires you'd know why I keep referencing the new wheels/tires. :D
Keep the opinions coming!
Project update.
The suspension kit is on the car, minus the front swaybar. Dropping the subframe seems to be a job all of its own. If anyones changed the front sway on their focus please chime in and let me know how big of a job it really is. Total time for the suspension kit (minus front sway bar) was 2.5 hours.
Took it out for a quick spin and man what a difference. Even without the front sway bar the improvement is humongous. Its on rails now.
Before and after pics coming tonight.
I have to get some stuff together, plus build a deck in the backyard before the Procharger install. I'm guessing June so far...
same tires right? it will be 100000x better when you throw stickies on there

congrats on the mods
Thanks Naz!
So far yea, same tires, I didn't take it for an alignment yet so I dont mind killing tires that are already dead. :D
I'm debating to hold off on the alignment until I can get the front swaybar installed since you have to lower the subframe to get the swaybar replaced. I figure if I'm paying for an alignment, might as well do everything that *might* affect my alignment before taking it in.
Saturday feels like a front swaybar replacement day. :D

Edit: This is the best how to for the swaybar replacement:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showt...hp?t=27164
paulicat,May 7 2008, 11:30 AM Wrote:Project update.
The suspension kit is on the car, minus the front swaybar. Dropping the subframe seems to be a job all of its own. If anyones changed the front sway on their focus please chime in and let me know how big of a job it really is. Total time for the suspension kit (minus front sway bar) was 2.5 hours.
Took it out for a quick spin and man what a difference. Even without the front sway bar the improvement is humongous. Its on rails now.
Before and after pics coming tonight.
I have to get some stuff together, plus build a deck in the backyard before the Procharger install. I'm guessing June so far...
[right][snapback]263771[/snapback][/right]

When bluetoy helped (and by helped, I mean, he did, I watched) install my suspension kit, we (and I mean 'he'), removed half the bolts (the front ones IIRC) and just losened off the rear ones a bit. This allowed you to, with a bit of persuasion, open a gap to slide the sway bar out and in... He did mark with a marker the positions of the bolts so everything aligned up properly when we tightened it back up.

that portion of the job took him 5 minutes of careful consideration, and 15 minutes of labour.

So it's do-able if you take your time, and well worth the effort IMO...

Also keep in mind that we changed the front springs without a spring compressor -- so other than the torque specs, we didn't exactly do everything by the book...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

If I'm understanding you correctly, thats exactly opposite of the guide in the link I posted above.
Mind taking a look and seeing if the guide is opposite to what you guys did?
paulicat,May 7 2008, 01:00 PM Wrote:If I'm understanding you correctly, thats exactly opposite of the guide in the link I posted above.
Mind taking a look and seeing if the guide is opposite to what you guys did?
[right][snapback]263793[/snapback][/right]
ah... ok.. I think we removed the back bolts... which gave enough space without having to drop the subframe.

The guide is probably the 'proper' way to do it, but we got by with just removing half the bolts. saved a bit of time, so you may want to guage the 'proper' way vs 'getting er done' way... I never experienced any ill side affects myself.

Ok thats cool. I don't mind taking a bit of time and doing it right.
That guide pretty much matches up with the Haynes manual but with seriously improved picture quality.
I'm thinking a nice big breaker bar is gonna help with the removal of those bolts.
My airgun can't do over 100lbs
just IMHO.. torque everything to spec, and if you can hit the alignment specs you want and the car can be corner weighed evenly, then it doesn't matter how the part got on the car....
Yea, torque wrench for sure, the side bolts of the subframe according to the Haynes manual are torque'd to 148ft/lb :o
paulicat,May 7 2008, 02:21 PM Wrote:Yea, torque wrench for sure, the side bolts of the subframe according to the Haynes manual are torque'd to 148ft/lb :o
[right][snapback]263802[/snapback][/right]

you may want to turn your car on it's side so you can get on top of the wrench... ;) :P

LOL, if only it were that easy... :rolleyes:
time for the big f#%king bar to get busted out!!!