Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sumitomo
I've been looking around for some new tires for a while and i came across http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...num=96HR5HTR200
best in category at tirerack.com AND they are only $48??

Anyone ever heard of them? Or used them?
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
never used em.... but my stance on tires is DON'T GO CHEAP.... of ALL things on your car this is the ONE contact point to the ground.

I once bought some Nexxen 3000s and they were horrible!! Didn't like the cornering on them at all. Ya, you'll save some money on the tires but to me..... "NOT BEING SATISFIED WHILE DRIVING MY CAR" isnt worth saving like $50/tire... I'd rather spend that extra $50 to get tires that I know will give me SATISFACTION WHILE DRIVING MY CAR.

just my 2 cents
Loyal Focus Owner!!!
First: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
Thats what i first thought, but at tire rack they are rated #1 in all categories(narrowly being edged out by one tire in steering response) with over 500 submissions, so whats the deal with that? Unless someone fudged the results or something.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...tireSearch=true
It seems to have really good reviews too, and i don't need them in winter.

They can't be any crappier than my Eagle RS/As can they? :lol:
2001 SE Sedan

760.8km on 45L
Well they are a newer company in North America but so was Kuhmo at one point and they are great tires. I would have to agree with SVTguy02 and dont base a tire purchase on just price. check out some other forums and see if anyone has used these tires. You can also look in the rview section and see what other people are using on there cars.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
i think the key thing to keep in mind when looking at tirerack 'reviews' is that you don't know where the people reviewing are coming from. if they just don't know any better their high rating means crap.

if you just want a cheap replacement tire for commuting, that sumitomo should be great. if you want a performance tire, look what guys are running in your local street tire autoX class and purchase what they are using

just taking a guess from the treadwear rating (waay to high) and tread pattern (lots of grooves and no big fat chunks of rubber) that tire you linked is unlikely to be a good performance tire. (i know.. i know.. i'm pretty much magazine racing... here)

EDIT: just because a tire is inexpensive does not mean it is not 'good'. i used to buy azenis sport RT215 in 195/60/14 size for my integra for $55 each.. and there aren't many non r comp tires that can stick like the RT215 in the dry)
We've had a set of Sumitomo winter tires originally for my old '02 SVTF and since '04 on the ZTW. Six winters and no problems with great traction in all conditions.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
I just need a tire for commuting, nothing fancy, one that is okay. I might be buying a house this year so i need to save all the money i can :lol: .
2001 SE Sedan

760.8km on 45L
random IMHO, doesn't matter if its 'just for commuting' get a real performance tire anyway.. i use the same tire for commuting as i do for lapping schools

i actually look forward to waking up early so i can do my commute on empty roads and tear up some on and off ramps on the way to work.. even simple maneuvers like right turn followed by a left turn at normal intersections can be a ton of fun when you can focus on maintaining momentum through the corners, working on smoothness, heel toe, etc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sumitomo Tires DRyanC 2 1,097 08-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Last Post: DRyanC