Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volvo Introduces New Direct Injected
[Image: volvo-gtdi.jpg]

Direct injection and turbocharging go together like peanut butter and jelly. Abbot and Costello. Brett Favre and protracted retirement negotiations. And it's easy to understand why. Few of us seem willing to give up performance in the name of fuel efficiency and the combined efforts of these two technologies squeeze both extra ponies and extra mileage out of a small-bore powerplant.

Volvo's first Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDi) engine will displace 2.0 liters and will offer up 203 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque at just 1,750 RPM (plus an overboost function unleashing another 15 lb-ft for short bursts). Volvo will first use the new mill in its European S80 sedan, to be followed closely by the V70 and XC60 models.

The new GTDi engine also features variable valve timing on both camshafts, further improving efficiency, and it will be offered with either Volvo's dual-clutch fully automatic six-speed Powershift transmission or a six-speed manual gearbox. We fully expect Volvo to eventually offer this new powerplant in the United States as a replacement for its aging 2.5-liter inline-five.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Ford is suppose to have the 1.6GTDi in the 2012 Focus as well. I don't like the name of the engine bc you would think its Diesel! Funny how Ford is saying that they will get 200hp out of 1.6GTDi and Volvo is getting the same out of 2.0L.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Differing levels of boost maybe?

Ford's probably very conservative in their setups usually.

So if their warranty claims work on the ecoboost engine so far has shown no issues related to the turbos at the settings they are using, they might feel its safe to "turn up the wick a bit" :unsure:

NefCanuck
Doesn't seem like enough power for the S70 & 80. They are 'heavy' cars, that engine in the S40/S60 would be nice though. The grumblings with the V50 is the mileage is not very good with the 2.5l 5cyl. Compared with this new engine, output specs seem on par.

Like european focus/fiesta and everything else, I won't hold my breath waiting for it come over the pond.
The name totally does not sound like a Gas motor
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car