Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Block Heater
Hay I have a quick question regarding the use of the block heater.
Should I use the block heater or is a waste of time? I was told two different things by two different mechanics.
The first one said there is know sense using it unless it goes below -35
the second ones said I might as well use it since it has it.

Your thoughts :blink:
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Canadian ST,Jan 21 2008, 09:18 AM Wrote:Hay I have a quick question regarding the use of the block heater.
Should I use the block heater or is a waste of time? I was told two different things by two different mechanics.
The first one said there is know sense using it unless it goes below -35
the second ones said I might as well use it since it has it.

Your thoughts :blink:
[right][snapback]256475[/snapback][/right]

The way I look at it Why would you let the car get dead cold when you dont have to. Starting a car when the engine and its oil is set cold is harder then starting it with a warm engine and not cold set oil.

But yes on the other hand u really dont need it unless it goes below around -30. At least thats when they reccomend you use it.

I use it if it goes past -10. It just helps it start better when its not frozen. Plus you get heat faster. I say if its there use it.
2000 ZX3
Go ahead, use it. If, as Mason says, it'll warm up the car faster. However, you can use synthetic oil and that won't thicken in the cold, so you won't have to worry about starting the car. I've used synthetic for a while and never had any problems in the cold (other than not having heated seats) :lol: Maybe our experts in the Prairies will give us the lowdown on COLD WEATHER starting. We don't get really cold here in Southern Ontario.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
As a Prairie resident, I use mine as soon as it's below -10. I also use synthetic oil. It just starts better and I don't have to wait for it to warm no more 10 minutes if it has been really cold..... like it has been here lately.
2003 CD Silver SVT Focus
#21 of 2173
I always did, I can't see the harm in keeping the oil warm. I used to plug it in over nite, ideally you put the extension cord on a timer so it kicks on 2hrs before you need it. Otherwise it cycles on and off overnite, no issues if it does.
Normally I do, but I haven't since last year. I have Q Full Synthetic in right now, and its started every day unplugged, even in the -40 we've been hitting as of late
my turbo focus wouldn't start in the cold without it and i usally hook my daily driver up over night and it warms up nicely in the moring so i don't freeze because i hate driving with a jacket

so do it whats the worse thing that can happen
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
i plug mine as well.....+ running synthetic Royal Purple
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
its there use it. it doesnt hurt
zetec crew #200
If you can chop your own wood you will warm yourself twice
Zetec: Its always on
faster_than_u,Jan 31 2008, 08:29 PM Wrote:its there use it. it doesnt hurt
[right][snapback]257212[/snapback][/right]
That's what I tell my wife :D
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
I don't drive my focus in the winter. So I took the f**ker right out!
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
oldeguy,Jan 31 2008, 10:04 PM Wrote:
faster_than_u,Jan 31 2008, 08:29 PM Wrote:its there use it. it doesnt hurt
[right][snapback]257212[/snapback][/right]
That's what I tell my wife :D
[right][snapback]257221[/snapback][/right]

i also tell my gf that. but its like the battery dies when plugged in and will not start. but if you unplug it let it get cold it will fire right up(without charging the bat) its a 93 mazda by the way.
zetec crew #200
If you can chop your own wood you will warm yourself twice
Zetec: Its always on
ZX3_2NV,Jan 22 2008, 01:16 PM Wrote:my turbo focus wouldn't start in the cold without it and i usally hook my daily driver up over night and it warms up nicely in the moring so i don't freeze because i hate driving with a jacket

so do it whats the worse thing that can happen
[right][snapback]256541[/snapback][/right]

My turbo focus has been siting since October, I went and started it right before I came to calgary. Slapped the battery in, started on 1st shot. B)

No block heater used.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Location Of Block Heater Plug In On '05? NefCanuck 14 3,274 01-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck