Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Post In This Forum First!
new to the board. from thunder bay!
SRI, 4-1 header.
Hi, i'm James, I stumbled upon this site while looking up info on my Focus.
2001 Focus SE
Just looking for a good deal on rims for my 07
Welcome guys you will all find what ur looking for on here.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
This is my first post. Maybe someone can help me find some information. Where can I find very specific, yes it can, maybe with a little work to no, major fabrication required information on engine to transmission swaps for Ford. For example, I read somewhere that a Contour SVT 2.5 L V6 can be swapped into a Ford Focus. Does anyone know what Ford engines can connect to what transmissions?

For example, what Ford Duratec engine (preferably a 3.0 L or larger DOHC) will bolt to a Ford Contour automatic transmission (CD4E). Better still what engine-transmission combinations would swap into a 1998 Ford Contour or 2000 Ford Taurus? Preferable combinations start with late model six speed automatic units (Ford Taurus 6F50; Ford Fusion 6F35) to earlier four speed automatics (Ford Taurus AX4N, 4F50N and AX4S).

Linkage fabrication is expected (alternative is to use aftermarket shift kits). Even replacing half shafts falls under this expectation. Has anyone ever swapped any late model transmission into an earlier vehicle? The reason for this hypothetical question is in the old days we swapped engines out of anything into anything. Today, it seems you cannot even swap engines from one model into another of the same make.

The Ford 2.5 L engine (Contour) looks identical to the 3.0 L Duratec (Taurus). Unless someone has both engines out where they can measure the bell housing attachment points, bolt hole locations, etc. it is difficult to determine. Maybe the real question is why has Ford made so many different, incompatible engine and transmission combinations.

Thank you for any help.
(05-10-2010, 11:33 AM)SVT-WGN Wrote: This is my first post. Maybe someone can help me find some information. Where can I find very specific, yes it can, maybe with a little work to no, major fabrication required information on engine to transmission swaps for Ford. For example, I read somewhere that a Contour SVT 2.5 L V6 can be swapped into a Ford Focus. Does anyone know what Ford engines can connect to what transmissions?

For example, what Ford Duratec engine (preferably a 3.0 L or larger DOHC) will bolt to a Ford Contour automatic transmission (CD4E). Better still what engine-transmission combinations would swap into a 1998 Ford Contour or 2000 Ford Taurus? Preferable combinations start with late model six speed automatic units (Ford Taurus 6F50; Ford Fusion 6F35) to earlier four speed automatics (Ford Taurus AX4N, 4F50N and AX4S).

Linkage fabrication is expected (alternative is to use aftermarket shift kits). Even replacing half shafts falls under this expectation. Has anyone ever swapped any late model transmission into an earlier vehicle? The reason for this hypothetical question is in the old days we swapped engines out of anything into anything. Today, it seems you cannot even swap engines from one model into another of the same make.

The Ford 2.5 L engine (Contour) looks identical to the 3.0 L Duratec (Taurus). Unless someone has both engines out where they can measure the bell housing attachment points, bolt hole locations, etc. it is difficult to determine. Maybe the real question is why has Ford made so many different, incompatible engine and transmission combinations.

Thank you for any help.

Welcome ... the Contour manual transmission is very similar to the Focus, but differences in the bell housing and the starter location make them incompatible ... in other words, a Contour V6 will not mate up to a Focus MTX-75.

Putting the V6 into a Focus will be a major job with a lot of fabrication involved ... IIRC there is more aftermarket support for a V8 swap in a Focus.

In any event, if it's horsepower you're looking for, you'd be better off time wise and financially simply building a Focus motor and boosting it.

If you're intent on the V6, IIRC the ideal combination is a 3L Escape block with C-SVT heads (what the Contique guys call a Hybrid), and a twin turbo setup.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
hey im chris, drive an 01 ZX3 black hatch

Sleepy
'01 Black Focus ZX3
Custom FI Built 2.2L Zetec // CM Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel // X3 Tune FSWERKS// Ford SVT Brake Kit F&R// KW Springs // KYB AGX Shocks // 22 & 25mm Eibach Sway Set // 2000 Ported IM // FC TB // SVT Header // 3" Custom Header-back Exhaust //many more mods to come...
Been gone for about 3 weeks and the site is looking good. I can't wait to see the final version with the gallaries and everything. Keep up the good work.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
First post! I own an '03 ZTS Liquid Grey dropped on 40/205/17's (liquid grey 5 spk). I'm from Hamilton.
hey everyone im Eric, i have an 06 ZX4 ST, Custom Tuxedo Black body with Sterling Silver stripes, K & N typhoon CAI, Steeda Short throw shifter, and a few other minors, cant wait to start meeting other enthusiasts in the hamilton area. id love to hear about meeting spots and cruise nights.
Current: 2006 Focus ZX4 ST. Tuxedo Black and Sterling Grey
Mods: 7" double din Alpine touch screen audio unit, K&N typhoon CAI, Steeda short shifter, custom two tone paint, rear wing delete, Angel eye headlight kit with 6000K HID upgrade, tinted windows, tail lights, and marker lights, Eibach Sportline springs on Tokico shocks and struts, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit. 17x7 Ikon Black Zen Wheels. Massive front and rear upper strut bar.
hi im mike, i drive a 2004 zx5 thats slightly modded.
Hi, I'm Amanda, but you can call me Amandina Wink I just bought my focus in August, its a 2010 SES fully loaded, silver, automatic transmission. I'm pretty much a pro at standard and I was going to purchase a stick, but situtation changed and went with an automatic lol All I have done to my focus right now is yellow fogs, tinted tails and I just got my shipment of pink lug nuts. This weekend i'm getting her tinted, looking at 20%. I will be taking pictures of my focus on saturday with these two new features and i'll post them up Smile

oh.. and i'm about 5'5", green eyes, average/atheltic body, dark long brown hair and i'm proud to be italian.. and canadian of course Tongue
[Image: 40754_446552998430_710748430_5189862_536...pycopy.jpg]

* 2010 SES * Ingot Silver * Automatic Transmission * FSWorks Cold Air Intake System * Tinted tail lights * Muteki Super Tuner Lug Nuts (Hot Pink) * NuStart 2-way Remote Starter
Red 2003 ZX3 2.0L w/ Weapon R Dragon Intake, magnaflow exhaust and Diablo predator ECU. Dont know what to do next. Pictures up soon=)
Hi eveyone

New here...it's my husband who has a 2006 Focus but I'm trying to find a new car deck for a Christmas gift and this seems like the best place to find out what is best

cheers!
Hey everyone, just bought my first Focus. Gold 2009 SE Sedan. Love the car, the wife HATED the gold when we first looked at it, but once she drove it she was hooked. Oh well thats my story, look forward to getting to know everyone.
Merry Christmas everyone!
I have a 2007 zx5 and love it. Being a newbie I bought 14" snows with rims and found out 6 months later that they don't fit. Hohoho.
Yeah the upsizing of the brakes with the 05+ MY refresh bumped people up a size as to the minimum the car can run.

Great suprise eh? Trying to use the tires & rims you bought six months ago and "Whoopsie" Sad

Wait til you find out about the airbox surprise Dodgy

NefCanuck
How come I cannot see the last page in this thread?
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Just got a used 2007 Focus and am looking forward to heated seats!
hey im new to the site of course have a focus, and look forward to figuring new things out for my st