Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thing I Might Change Cars Again..need Help Decidin
well guys, as you kno a few months ago i sold the foci in terms of buying a del sol, which i did....well the itch for a newer car has come as i just came across a wicked deal on another type of car. Now my question for you is what is your opinion on my thinking.

So, the new car i'm looking at is still a import, a real import. It's a 1991 twin turbo mazda rx7 and it's right hand drive. 5 speed obviously and has 136000 km. Now i'd be getting rid of my 1993 Honda del sol si which does have a few mods, which are all asthetic. So give me some insight here guys, what should i do??
Buy it, and a used Focus, for when the RX-7 is not working
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
if its in good condition and you can find a mechanic and a parts dealer...........buy it.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
Make sure the Mazda dealer in Suds has a competent enough staff to service the FD. Also, seeing as it's RHD, you might have part supply issues and such. This was the main reason that I stayed away from importing a Skyline, my fave JDM car.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Check into insurance, there are only a handful of insurance companies that will insure RHD cars... They're also a bitch to drive on backroads - very dangerous passing on two lane highways.

Being a 1991 it would be an FC, correct? Also being an FC would mean that it's not the most reliable car out there. Personally I would stick with the del Sol unless you can afford to have a "weekend" car. I would never depend on an RX7 as a daily driver.
Steve
1999 ZX2| MX3 H&Rs | S/R Tokicos | 21mm RSB | ES Bushings | HotShot CAI | Knocker mod | MSD Coil & 8.5mm Wires | SCT | B&M SS | SpeedHut Gauges | 16" BSA 303s

Coming soon: FR UDP | Pacesetter Shorty Header

Less is more... "Simplify and add lightness"

Click Here to E-mail Me!

Click here for my eBay auctions
personally i would not buy the car to use as a daily driver, i think it could be too unreliable and expensive to keep running.. if you have the cash flow for it, it would be a fun track/project/toy car .. (ie the first thing you will probably have to do after buying it is rebuild the motor)

on top of what everyone else has mentioned, everyday things like paying toll or paying to exit a parking garage will become a huge chore in a RHD car.

probably a good idea to take a pass on this one
My dad was looking at getting an RX7 Turbo II several years ago as a toy. We had found a black on black one in Burlington, but the couple just wouldn't budge on the price at all. My dad later found out that they are plagued with engine failure, tranny problems, bad for rust, and go through suspension parts like candy (because it's so stiff, even stock).

Just thought I'd pass that info on...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Bad idea inless you like to rebuild motors
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
buy the RX7 and put an LS1 with a 6 speed in it, no worries for making rotary soup then.
'03 Focus SVT
swap a b series or k series motor into your del sol instead. it will be infinitely more reliable and probably faster
naz,Sep 20 2007, 03:50 AM Wrote:swap a b series or k series motor into your del sol instead.  it will be infinitely more reliable and probably faster
[right][snapback]249136[/snapback][/right]

faster than an ls1 swap?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Sep 20 2007, 01:57 PM Wrote:
naz,Sep 20 2007, 03:50 AM Wrote:swap a b series or k series motor into your del sol instead.  it will be infinitely more reliable and probably faster

faster than an ls1 swap?
[right][snapback]249149[/snapback][/right]

no, i meant that taking his current car and swapping it is faster and more reliable than purchasing a rx7 turbo ii and trying to work with the rotary motor
naz,Sep 20 2007, 02:16 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Sep 20 2007, 01:57 PM Wrote:

faster than an ls1 swap?
[right][snapback]249149[/snapback][/right]

no, i meant that taking his current car and swapping it is faster and more reliable than purchasing a rx7 turbo ii and trying to work with the rotary motor
[right][snapback]249173[/snapback][/right]
gotcha.

k series swap are crazy $$ though. Id stick with the b series and boost it :D 250whp in that little delsol would be fun :D
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]