Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got The New Car!
I learned to drive stick on a gravel road... Acutally teaches clutch modulation well. Let it out too fast, you spin the tires, you chip your paint, but don't fry the clutch at least.

Get some mud flaps, and hit the country side! :D

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
dBlast,Aug 14 2007, 07:30 PM Wrote:Go find an empty parking lot.

Just practice the getting going part over and over again.  Get used to the feel of the clutch grab point.  Just get going and then stop (clutch in and brake) and then start over again.

If you feel it beginning to stall, clutch in quickly.  Remember it is always slowly out and quickly in  with the clutch pedal.

A lot of practice in these area first and most of your stalls will disappear.

Next practice smooth gear changes...

Within a week it should become second nature.

Good luck! :)
[right][snapback]246701[/snapback][/right]

this is exactly what I did with my wife. Just sit there and push the clutch in and out while you stay put in 1st. Get a feeling for the 'grab point'...once you get the feeling down pat, start giving gas and taking off but stopping right away as soon as your clutch is all the way out....keep doing that...move up 3-4 feet, stop, do it again. You';ll get the hang of it. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
congrats on the new ride Oscar, lol good luck on keeping it clean.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
you are using too much throttle with the clutch partially engaged. take it easy with the throttle
lol... this made me think of when i was learning to drive a standard many moons ago...

My Uncle drove the car to a Parking lot got out and said "come find me in the Pub when you can drive us home..."
Silver 2000 zx3: Cai w/ K&n X-Stream filter, Steeda Wires (blue), Ngk plugs, Steeda Badges, Carbon taillights, Tint 20/30, blue glow And steeda Springs sirius sat radio, 2.5" Custom mandrel bent catback
/\ :lol: !

I also learned to drive standard in my parents driveway, but in a Hyundai Excel 2dr hatch...it was a tincan with a sewing machine for an engine, but good for going back and forth in 1st and reverse up and down the driveway to learn about the pedal modulation, and all that jazz. It was my friend's mom's car...lol...

After that, I bought my own car several years later, which was a 5spd, and since then I've had 2 more 5spd vehicles, and one Automatic (though I have the truck now too, which is an Auto, but the 5.7L and RWD are fun in the rain or snow...hehehe)...

Nice little car though man, let us know what you do to it, or plan to do with it...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
probably just gonna get a tint job and a catback this year.

Come spring, probably gonna get a FS Stage 2 Turbo, Exedy clutch, light flywheel, maybe a short throw.

I don't want to do a lowering or a body kit ATM since my driveway has a steep incline and is very short.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Hey Oscar...How's that manual training coming along?

Are you heel & toe downshifting into corners yet?

Have you tried getting going from a stop light up hill with someone directly behind you? (hold up the e-brake with the button pushed to keep from rolling back then drop the e-brake once you start feeling forward movement)
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
dBlast,Sep 11 2007, 05:02 PM Wrote:Hey Oscar...How's that manual training coming along?

Are you heel & toe downshifting into corners yet?

Have you tried getting going from a stop light up hill with someone directly behind you?  (hold up the e-brake with the button pushed to keep from rolling back then drop the e-brake once you start feeling forward movement)
[right][snapback]248624[/snapback][/right]

Its going fine. Heel toe isn't something i'm doing yet. My downshifting is a little shaky still, but getting better. Heel toeing is something I haven't done much of yet.

E-braking on a hill isn't something I don't bother with. Usually I giver more gas and squak the tires a little just in case.

Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin