Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claiming Unemployment And Going To School?
Is it possible to claim unemployment and go to school?
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
Quick & Dirty answer below, if you want more technical details, lemme know.

The EI Act says that you have to be "ready and available" to take "any" employment that becomes available to you. Even if you can argue that you can't find "suitable" employment, you'd still fail on the "ready and available" test.

So if you want to attend school, the only option would be OSAP if you can't work hours around your classes.

NefCanuck
Not possible.

Trust me I tried during one of my semesters.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Employment Insurance will pay for schooling, but i think its only trades they will pay for.
castone,Aug 7 2007, 03:34 PM Wrote:Employment Insurance will pay for schooling, but i think its only trades they will pay for.
[right][snapback]245972[/snapback][/right]

Yup they will only pay for trade school or specialized training. I have to go to Ottawa in December to write my final exam for my heavy equipment license. You can collect E.I. right away and you get a higher amount.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
D-Dub,Aug 7 2007, 02: Wrote:Is it possible to claim unemployment and go to school?
[right][snapback]245964[/snapback][/right]
The correct answer, as one who has attended college trade school back in 1990 while on EI (I not only hold an Interprovincial Electrical License, I also am an Industrial General Machinist), is "yes" provided that the course is PRE-approved through the list available from EI, and that you maintain attendance and academic standards while attending.

Your best bet is to contact your local EI branch and ask to be referred to a training coordinator.
http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/ei/info.../training.shtml
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Aug 8 2007, 12:54 AM Wrote:
D-Dub,Aug 7 2007, 02: Wrote:Is it possible to claim unemployment and go to school?
[right][snapback]245964[/snapback][/right]
The correct answer, as one who has attended college trade school back in 1990 while on EI (I not only hold an Interprovincial Electrical License, I also am an Industrial General Machinist), is "yes" provided that the course is PRE-approved through the list available from EI, and that you maintain attendance and academic standards while attending.

Your best bet is to contact your local EI branch and ask to be referred to a training coordinator.
http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/ei/info.../training.shtml
[right][snapback]246029[/snapback][/right]

Yeah thats how itr works ^^^ I know atleast 2 people who were going from job to job and back to unemployment so they contacted the EI offices and they helped pay there school like half I think it was and they pay you while your going to cover bills . My aunt took nursing and another guy I know took electronics engineer. Im pretty sure you have to be out of school 3 or 4 years tho.not just graduated .
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Im taking graphic design, so I doubt that would be considered a trade.

How does OSAP work?
Ive paid for school already, but I would like to have extra money on the side and I dont really want to work part time......I'd like to focus more on school.

I still live at home and Im 25 do you think I could ask for OSAP?
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Aug 8 2007, 08: Wrote:Im taking graphic design, so I doubt that would be considered a trade.

How does OSAP work?
Ive paid for school already, but I would like to have extra money on the side and I dont really want to work part time......I'd like to focus more on school.

[right][snapback]246041[/snapback][/right]

Hrm, the fact that you still live at home makes it less likely that you would qualify for OSAP as the current program takes your parents income into account when calculating your eligibility. Add to that the fact that you indicated that you have already paid for the course (though I'll guess you haven't paid for the course materials yet) and whatever you get, it will not be much.

NefCanuck
If you live at home guarenteed you wont get it .
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
D-Dub,Aug 8 2007, 09: Wrote:Im taking graphic design, so I doubt that would be considered a trade.

How does OSAP work?

[right][snapback]246041[/snapback][/right]
Only way you could get OSAP, I think, is if you went to a recognized school, you have no, or little income, your parents cannot pay for your schooling, and it's better if you went to school out of town. If you've already paid for it, I think OSAP won't pay for this year.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
The chances that you will get OSAP is slim unless your parents are low income.

View the details here:
http://osap.gov.on.ca/eng

At 25 there is nothing wrong with working to put yourself through school, kids all over Canada do it that don't have the luxury of living in their parent's.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Just get a bloody job. Plain and simple.
2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T GT
2008 Jetta Sedan
2007 Colorado
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI (Totalled) (Monkey in the middle on 400)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (Totalled)
2000 ZX3 (Darknights 2nd place Focus)