Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shaker 500 Upgrades...
Well, the modification gods finally got to me yet again, and I started the modding of the Mustang. I decided to go with the stereo upgrade route this time, and here's what I've done:

Replaced the OEM 6x8's in the rear deck of the car with Infinity Reference REF6822's ... http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/product...y=US&Region=USA

and I also put an Infinity Basslink in the trunk too, to add some extra bass in the lower octaves that I was losing while driving with the windows down, or on the highway... http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/product...y=US&Region=USA

For the time being, I am using the stock shaker 500 head unit that came in the car, and because of that, I'm splicing a high level input off the rear speakers to the amp of the basslink. I still have more work to do with the adjustments to make it blend a little bit more seamlessly, but for now, it certainly does the trick, and I can't believe that something so small could play deep bass, and play it moderately loud. I don't even have the gain at 12 o'clock (it's at about 10), and the bass boost is below flat as well. I also have the bass on the deck turned down below flat, and it still pumps nicely. The 6x8's play a LOT more treble than the oem ones, even with the tweeters set to +0db (instead of the +3db switch they have on them). I have more clarity, more volume with less stress, it's all rather awesome.

In the future, I'm going to replace the small component set my car came with in the doors to this:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/product...y=US&Region=USA

And I'm probably going to get a new head unit, prefferably this one:

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-deta...p?model=KD-AVX2

If that deck isn't available anymore, then there are a couple from Blaupunkt that I like too, all of which look nice and PLAIN.

Anyways, I'll leave a better/longer review of the stuff I got already once it's had some time to break in, and I get it dialed in the way I want.

L8tz!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I use to have a basslink in my focus and I too was surprised with its capabilities. Infinity makes a great product when it comes to car audio.

As far as the deck goes when I was into the audio scene JVC wasn't that great, but they may have improved their stuff. I use to look for Alpine, Clarion, or Pioneer Premier series decks. Those were the top three.

The components will sound nice when you put them in but you may need an amp to power them to sound good.
Well, I too had Pioneer Premier, and other "top end" head units in the past, and they honestly didn't work out so great (blown output IC's, buttons separating from the faceplate, etc). I've had 2 JVC Arsenal series head units, and they were 100% problem free for me. The arsenal stuff has really turned it up several notches this year, with some stuff being so heavy duty looking and spec'd, that you'd have difficulty believing that it's JVC (yes, I agree that in the past, they made some cheap/flimsy stuff compared to other brands).

I am pleased with the Basslink and the rears. The rears sound clean, and are starting to sound smoother now that they are breaking in some more. The basslink sounds even louder and beefier too, after some break-in, and I actually had to turn the gain down a little bit. It honestly sounds like there are two 10's in the car with certain songs sometimes. I think I need to go back to the shop and get some dynamat, and dynamat the outer and rear panels of the trunk to help decrease reverberation, and increase my output into the cabin a bit more (this will be good if I were to upgrade to something even bigger in the future). I think though, that the basslink will sound cleaner, if I switch it to a RCA input from and aftermarket deck with a selectable crossover. So I'll have to wait and see what happens with that, and leave a more in-depth review.

L8tz
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
That sucks that you had that happen in the past Ian, cause I had a Pioneer Premier headunit that lasted for over 7 years. That's 7 years of pure torture :D

Good luck man, hopefully I'll get a chance to hear it this summer!

PSST - Formula Ford in Pickering next Sunday! Can you make it?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.