Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing Belt Change - Cam's Too?
So my Foci is approaching 180,000 with the stock timing belt.
I'm getting ready to have it changed and was thinking of what else I can do at the same time to improve performance.

My signature has all my mods.
I was thinking of a new set of CAM's (which ones I'm not sure).
Would this be a cost effective upgrade?

The car is my daily driver though I work from home, so when I do drive it I like to have fun!
Yellow 2000 ZX3 - Tinted Windows, SVT Air Intake, MBRP Exhaust, NewEdge Performance 2.25" Flex Pipe, Focus Sport UDP, SVT Bumper, Ford Racing 9MM Wires, K&N Filter, XCal2 ECU Upgrade, Shorty Antenna, Ported Throttle Body
190,000 KM (120,000 Miles) and counting!
Throttle Body and port match.

If you're going to change the cams, might as well rip off the head, have it rebuilt and a port and polish.

A throttle body isn't expensive, plus doing the work for a port and polish isn't hard if you have the right tools.

As for cams, lotsa money. I'm in the same boat at the moment, looking at either Stage 2 or 3 cam for my SPI. Cost is going to be about $350.00 cdn for just the cam, couple hundred more bucks for better springs, seals, and lifters.

A UDP is still best bang for the buck for HP.

To give you an idea. I'm going to be ordering the following for my car:

Stage 2 or 3 cam (and accessories)
UDP
Straight Pipe
SCT Xcal2

In total, i'm looking at about $1400.00 USD for the setup. The cam and accessories make up about half of that number. Not sure what kind of gains I'll see from this tho.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
do the head work only if u have some money laying around.....If i was getting P&P i'd get someone to do it...a someone who can do it right....

best cams for DD are FR.2's but its a mission to find them now days since they don't make em any more...

but u can try to search other forums in For Sale sections

here's a good link explaining what every cam does and what lifts it has....
http://home.wi.rr.com/buttonpuncher/Contou...0Comparison.htm

i'll let you know how FR.3's are gonna be hopefully in a week
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
A set of TUNED adjutsable cam gears would really wake up that car of yours.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  timing belt and acc serpentine belt konafocuswrc 10 4,451 08-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Last Post: konafocuswrc
  Timing Belt Replacement hotwiseguy 19 8,364 09-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Last Post: oldeguy
  Timing Belt SmokeBCBuDZ 6 2,554 03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Last Post: SmokeBCBuDZ