Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Just Renewed My Mortgage
I'm so happy!

I just renewed my mortgage at a rate of 5.41% for 5 years!

My bank callled me a few months ago to remind me that my mortgage term was coming to an end and that I could renew early and lock in a good rate. I told them that it sounded like a good idea.

Well a few weeks ago a got one of those automatic renewal letters from the bank with various options showing the current rates. My jaw dropped when I saw that the current rates are 7.24% for a 5 year and a whopping 9.15% for a 1 year!

The letter suggested that I come into the bank to work out a better rate. If I did nothing they would renew automatically for those higher rates.

Well, I wasn't going to let that happen so I went in today to sign up for the better rate.

Only 9 years and 6 months left til I am mortgage free! woo hoo!!

Then maybe, I will sell my Focus. :lol:
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Good for you Jack.

If only I had stayed put in the townhouse, I was exactly 4 years away from being mortgage free in May of 07. But not to be.

I am glad I locked in a mortgage along time ago with the builder.

New move in date for me..........June 16th, 2008.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
We got our mortage just before the increases, 4.5% for 5yrs. 3 years to go before renewal. and it's only a $128,000 mortage. makes me wonder how folks afford anything more.
I hear that... we're the same as Jeremy for rate and timeframe on about the same amount to mortgage. We don't renew till 2010.

Congrats on the renewal man! I had heard some scary things of late myself as far as rates.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I've got a pre-approval locked in till mid-September at 5.19% through ING.

As for the posted bank rates... only idiots pay the bank rates. It's too easy to go to a mortgage broker and get 1% off the bank rate. But, some people still don't get it.

You guys that are talking 4.5%, that was 2 months ago right? My approval was in June IIRC, and that was the best rate at the time. They jumped to 5.89% 2 weeks later.
4.9 with ING. That was a little over a year ago though.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
4.8 with Scotia.

That was what?? 3 years ago now?

It was funny when I told my Dad what I locked in with. He almost fell off his chair. He then proceeded to tell me about the house and cottage he had locked in at 19% in the 60's :lol:
Mine was just about 2yrs ago, with TD.
Gawd, when I think back on it, I sure got hosed in '05 reopening mine to get the cash for the Focus (5.3% til 2010) but the upside is that by the time the renewal comes up my principal owing will be squat in comparision even if the rates head up (around $60K IIRC)

Hey, I'm old enough to remember my father bitching about the mortage rates in the '80's hitting 18% :ph34r:

NefCanuck
Mortgage free for over two yrs :) Man is it a great feeling ............ I took the coin I paid on the mortgage and roll it into investments. Life is good !!!!
Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
dBlast,Jul 19 2007, 09:22 PM Wrote:I'm so happy!

I just renewed my mortgage at a rate of 5.41% for 5 years!

My bank callled me a few months ago to remind me that my mortgage term was coming to an end and that I could renew early and lock in a good rate.  I told them that it sounded like a good idea.

Well a few weeks ago a got one of those automatic renewal letters from the bank with various options showing the current rates.  My jaw dropped when I saw that the current rates are 7.24% for a 5 year and a whopping 9.15% for a 1 year!

The letter suggested that I come into the bank to work out a better rate.  If I did nothing they would renew automatically for those higher rates.

Well, I wasn't going to let that happen so I went in today to sign up for the better rate.

Only 9 years and 6 months left til I am mortgage free!  woo hoo!!

Then maybe, I will sell my Focus. :lol:
[right][snapback]244451[/snapback][/right]
If you dont mind me asking, which bank?
David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
NoiSeeVT,Jul 20 2007, 07:34 PM Wrote:If you dont mind me asking, which bank?
David
[right][snapback]244512[/snapback][/right]

Scotiabank
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Yup ... my current mortgage is 4.85% which was for a 5 year term and we'll be done with it before the term is up (the beauty of doubling-up and 15% every year).

But I can still remember like it was yesterday my very first home (just around the corner from you Daniel -- condo at 3100 Kirwin) and the mortgage when I bought in '76 was bad enough at 10% ... but the renewal in '81 was almost 19% and we were forced to sell.

Luckily we found a cash buyer so we didn't do too badly, but I knew dozens of people back then that were forced out of home-ownership because their payments more than doubled.

My parent's first mortgage in 1952 was just over 5% ... so everything considered I think we've all done pretty good the past 7 or 8 years.

NefCanuck,Jul 20 2007, 11:05 AM Wrote:Gawd, when I think back on it, I sure got hosed in '05 reopening mine to get the cash for the Focus (5.3% til 2010) but the upside is that by the time the renewal comes up my principal owing will be squat in comparision even if the rates head up (around $60K IIRC)

Hey, I'm old enough to remember my father bitching about the mortage rates in the '80's hitting 18% :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]244493[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Wow, small world (my office is less than a kilometre away from there)

The place has really suffered for being built before the government put solid rules in place regarding reserve fund studies and the like :ph34r:

Dunno what the parents first mortgage % was in '71 when my parents bought their place, I'll ask because I'm a curious sort ;)

NefCanuck

ZTWsquared,Jul 21 2007, 08:47 AM Wrote:Yup ... my current mortgage is 4.85% which was for a 5 year term and we'll be done with it before the term is up (the beauty of doubling-up and 15% every year).

But I can still remember like it was yesterday my very first home (just around the corner from you Daniel -- condo at 3100 Kirwin) and the mortgage when I bought in '76 was bad enough at 10% ... but the renewal in '81 was almost 19% and we were forced to sell.

Luckily we found a cash buyer so we didn't do too badly,  but I knew dozens of people back then that were forced out of home-ownership because their payments more than doubled.

My parent's first mortgage in 1952 was just over 5% ... so everything considered I think we've all done pretty good the past 7 or 8 years.

[right][snapback]244528[/snapback][/right]