Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal Advice
to address a few more things..

- the rental agency is an Enterprise out of Rochester, NY (who I'll call as soon as I get some info from the body shop).
- I won't call them/their family unless it's absolutely necessary, and will take every step to ensure I'm not illegally harrassing them.
- kicking in the door of their rental would have done nothing for me. Trust me, I want(ed) to, but for someone who believes they hold no responsibility for damaging a car I own, I don't think they'd give a rat's ass about a rental. To me, the property damage is nothing compared to wanting to cure someone of their debilitating ignorance.

Really, this is about getting my car repaired back to 'new'... I believe they should pay for it, and am pretty adamant about it considering their behaviour towards me about it (I'll post the full story later).

actually, the cop was pretty funny...
"Hey, aren't you supposed to park these things in the furthest corner of the lot at an angle across two spaces?"

The mustang is a bit of a polarizing force. Some people will think you a dick for owning one, but a lot of people feel nastalgia for the new stang's old-school styling, and fortunately, that's been the case with the cop/bride's parents. A lot of these guys own classic muscle cars of their own, and they actually sympathize with me. which is nice for a change...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

^^ Yeah, that last part is quite true eh? I bet they drove some 20 year old K-car POS... which is why they don't care (envy) and why they drove a rental :rolleyes:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
hold thier kids for randsom......... :ph34r:
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
You are a bigger man than I. I would have a hard time holding my self back, especially after the way they acted upon being confronted about the incident. Somebodys wedding or not.....
i say stick it to them, dont roll over on this one. People who get caught red handed and then act completely unreasonable about deserve to get there ass handed to them on a platter.

if the rental place doesnt solve this problem take it to the courts and I do think you should call them repeatedly (assuming that you can be civil on the phone) and get the family to put some heat on them.
'04 liquid grey ZX3 - my FSP auto-x car
'02 infra-red SVT  - my street car, now for sale
the funny thing about this is I have had this to me too... and I was right there in the one case.... though I didn't say anything at the time in the first case. But what I did was worse when I got back to my car before the new BMW owner did, So I opened my door that was damaged and forced it into his new BMW 7 or 8 times and then pushed the door hard up against his door leaving several marks & Door dings along with a very nice gouge in his door.

and the other was recently and it was from old ass SUV parked in the lot next to my car here in my building, and he did the damage in a weird spot, so I took out my tire iron and dragged it along the side of his SUV.. of course this was at the time when my building's parkinglot was under reno.

I know what I did was wrong... and some how I still don't care.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Frost__2001,Jul 10 2007, 06:41 AM Wrote:I know what I did was wrong... and some how I still don't care.
[right][snapback]243577[/snapback][/right]

You shouldn't feel bad, does the fu@ktard who damaged your vehicle feel bad? Probably not.
If legal routes fail, I'd go with Life lesson option three, which is a trip to Texas with a rental truck, find them and .......
SVT ZX3,Jul 10 2007, 09:53 AM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Jul 10 2007, 06:41 AM Wrote:I know what I did was wrong... and some how I still don't care.
[right][snapback]243577[/snapback][/right]

You shouldn't feel bad, does the fu@ktard who damaged your vehicle feel bad? Probably not.
[right][snapback]243591[/snapback][/right]

I don't actually. but this whole thread reminds me of this:

parking lot road rage
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
I called the rental agency today, got the numbers of their loss control department and opened a claim.

I was told to wait 24-48 hours for their insurance company to get back to me.

So I got home tonight, and there's 2 messages on my answering machine -- one from the insurance adjuster, and another from enterprise giving me the information about the open file with the insurance company.. which is amazing -- that the insurance company got back to me under 48 hours, and even before enterprise could tell me they opened the file.

Unless things go sour when I talk to the adjuster tomorrow, I think this story might have a happy ending.

s***ty to hear about your circumstances Steve. I feel your pain, and I actually had much worse done to my car with my offroad excursion. At the time, I didn't give much care about it, coz my gf was in hospital at the same time, and was more concerned with her well being. Anyways, my insurance company's adjusters office called me within 6 hours of reporting the accident, and they had me in a rental from Enterprise the same day, which they ended up paying for, for the better part of 3 weeks.

My car looks pretty friggen awesome (they actually stripped and repainted the entire left flank of the car, top to bottom), and now I'm less inclined to want to part company with it.

Best of luck to ya, and let us know what happens..
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
ok.. got the usual, "get two estimates, pictures, and we'll determine liability" statement from the yankee-doodle insurance.

So, I call up my insurance company.. and they want me to take it to one of their shops to get the estimate and say, "well, your shop will match the price once it's approved".

WTF?

I actually sort of got cowed into that... amazing how they can try to play their little insurance tricks on ya.

So I had to call back and tell them to let me know when a field appraiser would be available to see the car at my shop.

And this is the biggest thing to remember for all folks living in Ontario... IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO GET THE ESTIMATE DONE AND THE WORK DONE AT A SHOP OF YOUR CHOICE.

I cannot state this enough... because apparently, as I've learnt, even in ontario, the insurance companies will still try to make you go to their people regardless of the fact that practice is illegal.

friggin' sheisters everywhere...

[update]

just got a call back.. guy sounded pretty disappointed.. said they couldn't guarantee that an appraiser would be available by monday.. and that's fine... I can wait to get it done my way.

of course I had to say, "I thought it was my legal right to pick the shop for the estimate and repair"...

and he didn't deny it, only started in with the, "well, there's the added cost of sending out the field appraiser... etc etc... and that it would cost the same"

to which I replied, "well that's good, it'd cost your guys the same to do it as the estimate I've already gotten".

btw.. the cost of that door ding? $700.15

ouch...

Oh insurance companies can be real scum when they want to be DP.

Only reason I wasn't fighting with them tooth & nail after my crackup in '99 was because basically my workplace insurance covered nearly all the medical bills, only thing the ins. co was out was the replacement cost of the car! :rolleyes:

$700? Yeah, these days that's about right for a ding that has creased the metal, considering the doorskin has to come off, the dent pushed out and repainted.

NefCanuck
Mine was over $3800 in repairs...I only paid the $300 deductable, and was on my merry way. Also, since I had premium protection, and other insurance on my car, I got this accident as a "freebie"....my rates will remain the same, and the accident will only remain on file for 5 years.

Hope things get taken care of for you....
Drivesthebeast,Jul 11 2007, 02:57 PM Wrote:Mine was over $3800 in repairs...I only paid the $300 deductable, and was on my merry way.  Also, since I had premium protection, and other insurance on my car, I got this accident as a "freebie"....my rates will remain the same, and the accident will only remain on file for 5 years.

Hope things get taken care of for you....
[right][snapback]243762[/snapback][/right]

I'm really happy you got your car sorted out man.. Fortunately, this is one not-my-fault incident, so there should be no cash out of pocket for me.

I know a new fender costs $250, new headlight is $200, so it's never the parts that kill ya..it's the paint/refinishing that'll take that $500 worth of parts and turn it into a $1700 repair... a shop that can do a factory-like paint job makes the biggest difference in the final quality of the work and the price.

So for the door ding, I know I can trust the dealership (never thought I'd say that!) to fix it right... so for a ding like this which is more difficult to fix to brand new, I think the price is fine (most of it is removing/masking/painting/refinishing).

even if I had to out-of-pocket it, I'd just work the overtime and get it done right...

in this case, i just have to be careful of getting talked into doing it the insurance's way... I'm good at arguing if I know things for certain, but stuff like this that I'm not 100% on, I do take people at face value, and it's not always to my benefit.

I dealt with the auto refinishing and insurance industry for a few years. Ask as many people as you need to in order to GET THE FACTS... hell, ask the cops if you have to. Once you know your rights, STICK TO THEM. Don't be swayed.

You didn't get the name of the person that tried to illegally steer you to one of "their" shops, did you? It might be time to call the insurance company back and tell them all about that little episode. Plus, all the calls are logged and recorded for legal reasons. They can't afford to f*** around like that.

Stick to it, man. You'll get it sorted out in the end.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
haha..yeah.. I've tattled on enough people the last couple weeks for now..

but if I don't hear back from their field agent soon, I just might and say that they're purposely holding back my claim..

Who's your insurance provider?

I'm insured with Pilot Insurance, via Robert C. Davis Ins brokers in Waterdown...

I've been satisified with both parties since day one...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Some Legal Advice hardk0re 19 5,542 07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck