Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaming News
coolsvt,Jul 11 2007, 03:52 AM Wrote:A new 80gig with motorstorm and maybe rumble will be for sale in August for 599$ US B)
[right][snapback]243680[/snapback][/right]

and this is the bundle I'll probably look at....

I think that this price drop will get me into a PS3... I've tried playing the xbox, and I just can't deal with that controller... Seriously.. I sat down for a weekend and tried, but to no avail. My brain is too symetrical and that controller isn't

that and the PS3 doesn't negate my 80+ library of ps2 games or PS1 games either (until a game that can outdo colony wars or silpheed for fun factor that is).

My biggest problem with the xbox 360 are actually the games... There's one or two FPSes out there that I like for it, but I can't keep running out and buying the latest and greatest FPS for the life of the machine... it just won't cut it! (ok.. gross generalization from the guy who's still playing Timesplitters 1)

ok.. they also have forza.... but whatever -- it's always been a simulator that handled like an arcade game.. it always felt like the cars turned on their centers, not by the track of the front wheels.

Anyhoo.. I'm glad the PS3 is coming down in price.. they've done a lot of things right with it. Things that I've lauded the xbox for (like every machine having a hdd and live) are heading to the PS3.. and live marketplace is crippled for canadians, so why would I pay MS for that? Not ot mention you're paying to play online and I've never played online so much that I've been willing to pay extra for the privelege.

I guess each machine has it's pluses and minuses...and people pick and choose what they like/hate about them.. but I don't think we can fault the PS3 for the hardware -- maybe the price, but that's coming down... and until that time, I can be patient.

And besides, it's summer.. we're supposed to be outside enjoying the weather, not playing games.

I'm also not a big fan of the Wii (call me fussy)... but I may pick one up for my mom... it would be a good/healthy distraction for her.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Just price it out -- see if it comes with a rumble Sixaxis controller first.

Here's why -- the PS3 can take ANY 2.5" SATA laptop drive. It doesn't have to be a Sony proprietary drive. So right now you can get a 160Gb drive for it for about $110. (Which, btw is easy to change by design; the PS3 will format and install the base OS onto the drive.)

So, $550 for a PS3 now plus $60 for Motorstorm, that's $610. If the $599 US bundle translates into $650+ CAD for the 80 GB you're overpaying for only 20 GB difference.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Jul 11 2007, 09:15 AM Wrote:Just price it out -- see if it comes with a rumble Sixaxis controller first.

Here's why -- the PS3 can take ANY 2.5" SATA laptop drive. It doesn't have to be a Sony proprietary drive. So right now you can get a 160Gb drive for it for about $110. (Which, btw is easy to change by design; the PS3 will format and install the base OS onto the drive.)
[right][snapback]243714[/snapback][/right]

Can the earlier 20GB model PS3 take a blank SATA drive and do that as well? :blink: Because if so it would make even more sense to find a 20GB model on close out somewhere and add a 100GB SATA drive to that and you'd come in cheaper than even the 60GB model with the price cut wouldn't you? :unsure:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jul 11 2007, 10:28 AM Wrote:Can the earlier 20GB model PS3 take a blank SATA drive and do that as well? :blink: Because if so it would make even more sense to find a 20GB model on close out somewhere and add a 100GB SATA drive to that and you'd come in cheaper than even the 60GB model with the price cut wouldn't you? :unsure:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]243719[/snapback][/right]
Yes, you could BUT keep in mind that:

*The 20GB lacks built-in WiFi (ie for online play and internet access -- the controllers are still wireless Bluetooth)
*The 20GB lacks the media card readers that the 60 has
*The 20GB is pretty hard to find

But yes, it would work.

And remember it has to be a SATA LAPTOP (2.5") drive.
OAC_Sparky,Jul 11 2007, 10:15 AM Wrote:Just price it out -- see if it comes with a rumble Sixaxis controller first.

So, $550 for a PS3 now plus $60 for Motorstorm, that's $610. If the $599 US bundle translates into $650+ CAD for the 80 GB you're overpaying for only 20 GB difference.
[right][snapback]243714[/snapback][/right]

yup.. that's why I'm still waiting to see what the prices canadian are.. that and I'll be working and then on vacation until August, so I don't have much time to play yet anyways.

Live marketplace for HD movies and shows will be available for Canadians in August B)
...and here's another thing to chew over if you were debating buying a 60GB PS3 that I discovered over at the DigitalHome website.

The 60GB PS3 will cease production at the end of July and will be the last PS3 that will be backwards compatable with PS2/PSOne games as the 80GB will no longer have the emulation circutry installed.

So if you have a library of PS2/PSOne titles that you want to keep playing, better grab a 60GB model now.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jul 13 2007, 11:40 AM Wrote:...and here's another thing to chew over if you were debating buying a 60GB PS3 that I discovered over at the DigitalHome website.

The 60GB PS3 will cease production at the end of July and will be the last PS3 that will be backwards compatable with PS2/PSOne games as the 80GB will no longer have the emulation circutry installed.

So if you have a library of PS2/PSOne titles that you want to keep playing, better grab a 60GB model now.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]243917[/snapback][/right]

um... they'll be changing the hardware to exclude the emotion engine and graphics synthesizer (two components of the PS2).. however, the machines will be backwards compatible and support nifty features as upscaling through emulation (how the xbox 360 does it). And this will bring the hardware more in line with the european models.

Typically in emulation, your emulating machine needs to be at least 5 times more powerful than the one you're emulating... fortunately, between the cell and RSX, the PS3 can handle emulation without issue.

I don't forsee compatability issues being a bother.. they'll address most of the popular games, and I'll still have my PS2 hardware kicking around for those that don't.

Well, a key statement was "They will address most popular games"

With the 60GB model with the circuitry still there & active it means you don't have to hope that the games you have are ones that will be able to be played (For example, the PSOne game I have is a port of a Japanese title that SCEA released that still has the original Japanese VA work in it)

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Jul 13 2007, 12:49 PM Wrote:um... they'll be changing the hardware to exclude the emotion engine and graphics synthesizer (two components of the PS2).. however, the machines will be backwards compatible and support nifty features as upscaling through emulation (how the xbox 360 does it). And this will bring the hardware more in line with the european models.

Typically in emulation, your emulating machine needs to be at least 5 times more powerful than the one you're emulating... fortunately, between the cell and RSX, the PS3 can handle emulation without issue.

I don't forsee compatability issues being a bother.. they'll address most of the popular games, and I'll still have my PS2 hardware kicking around for those that don't.
[right][snapback]243928[/snapback][/right]
QFT.

The PS3 has the ability to update the firmware to fix bugs as they appear (actually Sony is pretty good with doing this); one example is fixing the Guitar Hero controller issue. The Cell processor has enough power to pretty much handle anything the PS2 games can throw at it.

That said, Futureshop IS giving away a BluRay movie with a purchase at the moment...
OAC_Sparky,Jul 13 2007, 01:56 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Jul 13 2007, 12:49 PM Wrote:um... they'll be changing the hardware to exclude the emotion engine and graphics synthesizer (two components of the PS2).. however, the machines will be backwards compatible and support nifty features as upscaling through emulation (how the xbox 360 does it). And this will bring the hardware more in line with the european models.

[right][snapback]243928[/snapback][/right]
QFT.

The PS3 has the ability to update the firmware to fix bugs as they appear (actually Sony is pretty good with doing this); one example is fixing the Guitar Hero controller issue. The Cell processor has enough power to pretty much handle anything the PS2 games can throw at it.

That said, Futureshop IS giving away a BluRay movie with a purchase at the moment...
[right][snapback]243939[/snapback][/right]

I donno I think that even if they used that incentive of a free blueray DVD, I don't think people would activly go for it, blueray disks are still limited in offerings, as SONY charges bundels to convert non sony made movies to blue ray.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Just to dredge this up again:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7447&CatId=2676

Double the HD space of the 80G.
OAC_Sparky,Jul 28 2007, 08:21 AM Wrote:Just to dredge this up again:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...7447&CatId=2676

Double the HD space of the 80G.
[right][snapback]245051[/snapback][/right]

Nice size but 5400RPM spindle speed FTL. I'd rather have 100/120GB and 7200RPM (I've got a 100GB 7200RPM in my laptop for work).
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 28 2007, 10:17 AM Wrote:[quote=OAC_Sparky,Jul 28 2007, 08:21 AM]Just to dredge this up again:
Nice size but 5400RPM spindle speed FTL. I'd rather have 100/120GB and 7200RPM (I've got a 100GB 7200RPM in my laptop for work).
[right][snapback]245059[/snapback][/right]
It's SATA so the transfer speed is there; for the PS3 the 5400 is just fine. OFC, were a 7200 available for the same price I'd grab it.
and besides, the way streaming and whatnot works in consoles, they tend to be engineered to the lowest commond denominators... spindle speeds and access times may be a concern if you bought the PS3 to be your high-end linux gaming machine/server, but really... I'd prefer the slower spindle speed for reliability/noise level/heat reasons.