Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything 50km/h Over Is Racing?
I guess no more 2 hour jaunts to Windsor from Burlington anymore, or any quick drives to Montreal at 1am. We should all just drive STUPID cars now?

Seize cars at 50 km/h over limit: Fantino
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
I guess there would have to be 2 cars to be considered a race wouldn't there? Fantino and all his bright ideas needs to think more about drugs and sex offenders rather than speeders. Ok don't get me wrong street racing is plain stupid but when did the OPP start patroling city streets and industrial parks looking for "street racers". Its funny how this topic keeps coming up every spring and then hits the back burner by the end of the summer rolls around.

If they really want to get the "street racers" why don't the OPP sit around wealthy neighbourhoods and wait for the 16 year olds to roll out of the school parking lots with mom and dads MB's or BMW's. Thats where the majority of the problems start. Young punks driving over powered sedans thinking there all HOT S#!T and wrapping their car and most likely a mini van filled with kids around a pole.

Leave the enthusiasts alone and stem the problem at the source. Better yet start with more education and graphic videos. Its a shame how you can get drivers education from someone who probably only just got their licence a few years back and haven't fully grasped the english language yet. Most of the drivers ed cars I see rolling around Scarborough don't even look like they would pass a saftey.

I don't think we are going to hear the end of this subject for a very long time. Also I am sure that some members from here are going to be pulled over just because they have a nicer looking Focus with an exhaust system and wheels.

We have all been tagged, watch out big brother is watching you......
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
As was pointed out yesterday in another thread, most of the rhetoric is from the politicians and their minions, taking the unfortunate events of the past few weeks and making them into a political football. Going 50 over the limit, even though I'm as guilty as most, is excessive and unecessary. What Fantino should have said was that excessive speed will not be tolerated and fines will be increased, with possible jail time. One of the reasons I am a member of this site is because of the stand on street racing and stupid driving. If this was one of those dumb "speed and testosterone loaded" sites where only whose the fastest off the stoplight counted, or who smoked what on the street, then I wouldn't be here. Needless to say, Fantino is just following orders from his political bosses.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
Yes I have gone over that, I was caught with focusonthis_88 going 65km/hr over the limit (135km/hr in a 70zone) and was asked to appear in court where I would face a careless charge + suspension. It was reduced to 20 over after I talked to the 'arresting' officer and crown. :)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
^^how much was the ticket for that and how many points?
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
↓ x2 ... + speeding alone (no racing, no drugs, no aggressive driving, no weaving, no tailgating, no alcohol etc.) isn't nearly the menace that those other things are even at the speed limit.

Not to mention that it is still too easy to get a license here ... there isn't nearly enough respect for the rules of the road that allow traffic to move along ... and the speed limits are too low.

Although excessive speeding is often a symptom of otherwise aggressive and stupid behaviour, it isn't by definition aggressive or stupid on its own. Doing 130 here is borderline criminal, doing 130 in parts of Europe is the accepted safe norm. Doing 130 on an empty road in good conditions can be safe ... doing 130 on wet roads while tailgating another car isn't.

But street racing is a matter of choice and IMO is somewhat unrelated to other types of aggressive driving. And in addition to being incredibly stupid and dangerous, the so-called epidemic of street racing is also making it more difficult for those of us who think that with a little more training and a lot more common sense and courtesy on the roads, we could easily and safely manage a speed limit of 130 on the 4-series roads.

I wonder what Kenzie's stand is on this issue.

Most of you probably don't remember, but I remember driving when the speed limit on the 4-series highways was 70 mph ... and at a time when vehicle dynamics, brakes etc weren't nearly as good as they are now. I may be looking at the past through rose coloured glasses, but I recall everyone drove between 70 and 75 and the fastest was 80 (max. 10-12 mph spread fastest to slowest) and I don't recall people tailgating much or weaving in and out and I do recall most people moved to the right. Drunk driving was a huge problem of course and tires were crap ... but the bottom line was you could get from A to B in a reasonable time and traffic jams weren't nearly as bad as they are now.

Fantino and the rest need to take a more holistic view of what's happening on our roads ... including the role that traffic patterns and inadequate road capacity play in generating aggressive behaviour ... and the need for revised driver training and education and licensing standards.

Crushing modified cars might make for good headlines ... but as pointed out here it does nothing to get the stupid drivers off the roads.

oldeguy,Jun 27 2007, 06:50 AM Wrote:As was pointed out yesterday in another thread, most of the rhetoric is from the politicians and their minions, taking the unfortunate events of the past few weeks and making them into a political football. Going 50 over the limit, even though I'm as guilty as most, is excessive and unecessary. What Fantino should have said was that excessive speed will not be tolerated and fines will be increased, with possible jail time. One of the reasons I am a member of this site is because of the stand on street racing and stupid driving. If this was one of those dumb "speed and testosterone loaded" sites where only whose the fastest off the stoplight counted, or who smoked what on the street, then I wouldn't be here. Needless to say, Fantino is just following orders from his political bosses.
[right][snapback]242471[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Quoting Fantino: "Tens of thousands of lives would be saved"
Oh really! Some people will say anything to get an airplane.
ZTWsquared,Jun 27 2007, 09:12 AM Wrote:↓ x2 ... + speeding alone (no racing, no drugs, no aggressive driving, no weaving, no tailgating, no alcohol etc.) isn't nearly the menace that those other things are even at the speed limit.

Not to mention that it is still too easy to get a license here ... there isn't nearly enough respect for the rules of the road that allow traffic to move along ... and the speed limits are too low.

Although excessive speeding is often a symptom of otherwise aggressive and stupid behaviour, it isn't by definition aggressive or stupid on its own. Doing 130 here is borderline criminal, doing 130 in parts of Europe is the accepted safe norm. Doing 130 on an empty road in good conditions can be safe ... doing 130 on wet roads while tailgating another car isn't.

But street racing is a matter of choice and IMO is somewhat unrelated to other types of aggressive driving. And in addition to being incredibly stupid and dangerous, the so-called epidemic of street racing is also making it more difficult for those of us who think that with a little more training and a lot more common sense and courtesy on the roads, we could easily and safely manage a speed limit of 130 on the 4-series roads.

Most of you probably don't remember, but I remember driving when the speed limit on the 4-series highways was 70 mph ... and at a time when vehicle dynamics, brakes etc weren't nearly as good as they are now. I may be looking at the past through rose coloured glasses, but I recall everyone drove between 70 and 75 and the fastest was 80 (max. 10-12 mph spread fastest to slowest) and I don't recall people tailgating much or weaving in and out and I do recall most people moved to the right. Drunk driving was a huge problem of course and tires were crap ... but the bottom line was you could get from A to B in a reasonable time and traffic jams weren't nearly as bad as they are now.

Fantino and the rest need to take a more holistic view of what's happening on our roads ... including the role that traffic patterns and inadequate road capacity play in generating aggressive behaviour ... and the need for revised driver training and education and licensing standards.

Crushing modified cars might make for good headlines ... but as pointed out here it does nothing to get the stupid drivers off the roads.

[right][snapback]242479[/snapback][/right]

I agree with ZTWsquared, I think that limiters in cars as some people have suggested to keep your car from going over 100kms is plainly retarded as in Alberta & New Brunswick some Highway posted limits are 110 - 120 km/ph, not to mention in more and more US states the posted limit is 75 MPH, so if your car can't do that in those places you could be ticketed for going to slow.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
NikiterZTS,Jun 27 2007, 09:04 AM Wrote:^^how much was the ticket for that and how many points?
[right][snapback]242477[/snapback][/right]

Cant remember, was a couple of years ago, it was something like 2 or 3 points, and I think the fine was close to $300, thinking something like $285 for some reason...

Better than what I was originally facing, a year suspension + over $1000 in fines. :blink:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Frost__2001,Jun 27 2007, 01:34 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Jun 27 2007, 09:12 AM Wrote:↓ x2 ... + speeding alone (no racing, no drugs, no aggressive driving, no weaving, no tailgating, no alcohol etc.) isn't nearly the menace that those other things are even at the speed limit.

I agree with ZTWsquared, I think that limiters in cars as some people have suggested to keep your car from going over 100kms is plainly retarded as in Alberta & New Brunswick some Highway posted limits are 110 - 120 km/ph, not to mention in more and more US states the posted limit is 75 MPH, so if your car can't do that in those places you could be ticketed for going to slow.
[right][snapback]242483[/snapback][/right]

Didnt US try that in the 80's? I remember when i was in Cali friend of mine had a 80's Supra/celica and it didnt go pass 80Pmh. It was so funny. Car was around 2000RPM, but it coulndt go pass 80. Back then they go rid of it, bc it was a stupid idea, its still a stupid idea.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

ZTWsquared,Jun 27 2007, 08:12 AM Wrote:↓ x2 ... + speeding alone (no racing, no drugs, no aggressive driving, no weaving, no tailgating, no alcohol etc.) isn't nearly the menace that those other things are even at the speed limit.

ZTWsquared,

The problem is, that back when the speed limit was 70MPH there were a lot fewer cars on the roads, the cars that were on the roads were generally speaking, all the same size and society wasn't in such a blasted rush to get everywhere at once.

Today you get cars that are all over the map in terms of size, making in nigh impossible for someone driving (for arguments sake) a Miata to see safely around an H2 Hummer for example. Another one of my pet peeves is the absolute deporable condition I see some of the cars in that are driving the roads. I mean we're talkin' "Bondo Condos" on wheels. Where's the vaunted "mobile inspectors" to take these rolling wrecks off the road? <_<

Add to that driver training that hasn't IMO kept up with the changers in the traffic flow (it doesn't even include a mandatory winter driving component) and a society where "ME, NOW!" is the rule rather than the exception and there's a receipe for disaster right there.

Sure I'd love them to raise the speed limit on the 400 series highways, I maintain my car and like to think that I'm a reasobaly decent driver... I'm just afraid that not everyone else on the road with me feels the same :ph34r:

NefCanuck
ZTWsquared,Jun 27 2007, 08:12 AM Wrote:Most of you probably don't remember, but I remember driving when the speed limit on the 4-series highways was 70 mph ... and at a time when vehicle dynamics, brakes etc weren't nearly as good as they are now. I may be looking at the past through rose coloured glasses, but I recall everyone drove between 70 and 75 and the fastest was 80 (max. 10-12 mph spread fastest to slowest) and I don't recall people tailgating much or weaving in and out and I do recall most people moved to the right. Drunk driving was a huge problem of course and tires were crap ... but the bottom line was you could get from A to B in a reasonable time and traffic jams weren't nearly as bad as they are now.
Ah,yes. Back when trains carried most goods and trucks were very few, my father always cruised on the QEW at 80mph.
Now whenever my 85 year old dad needs to travel on the QEW he swears "there must have been an accident or something, because the traffic was stop'n'go all the way". No Pops, it's always like that now :(
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
I read that in the paper tonight....completely retarded and misguided...

and yea, I just drove to florida and back last week, some states have speed limits up to 70-75 mph. no problems there, hell, I miss running down the road at like 75-120....it's freakin awesome...
2001 Sangria Red ZTS, Zetec 5-spd, key gouges on hood and passenger fender (thanks idiots!Wink

Drivetrain and chassis: CAI, Steeda STS

Interior and exterior: Blacked out sidemarker lens, blacked out tailights, blacked out 3rd brake light, de-badged, cobra 40 ch. CB, Sirius

VA3RBV, Basic class licence!