Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension Queries
Hi All

Forgive me for the newb questions...

First, I have a 06 ZX5 SES

So, I recently got a great deal on Eibach Sportlines. I'm quite stoked.

I understand that I should be replacing the stock shocks/struts (aka dampers?)

My car is only a DD. I mainly drive to and from work. Do I *need* super duper replacements? What are my options?
Now rockin a 06 ZX5 SES
StreetEdition,Apr 19 2010, 02:19 AM Wrote:Hi All

Forgive me for the newb questions...

First, I have a 06 ZX5 SES

So, I recently got a great deal on Eibach Sportlines. I'm quite stoked.

I understand that I should be replacing the stock shocks/struts (aka dampers?)

My car is only a DD. I mainly drive to and from work. Do I *need* super duper replacements? What are my options?
[right][snapback]305399[/snapback][/right]
The "problem" with sportlines is that your suspension will be bottoming out on a regular basis - especially if you're in the GTA - you and your struts will take something of a beating.

Your stock struts won't last very long and then you will be faced with another suspension job - better IMO to replace the struts with suitable replacements at the same time you put in the springs.

Eibach obviously makes a strut for that application, and based on what I've read, the only strut that Ford makes that can take that kind of a beating is the ones made by Multimatic - called the Dynamic Suspension struts - and they aren't cheap.

I lowered my ZX5 just in January with the FRPP DYnamic springs and I put in a set of SVT struts that I had lying around (yes, I have whole suspensions lying around LOL) and one of them is borked already - just not enough travel.

So, because this is a track car and some of the older tracks like Mosport and Watkins Glen can be bumpy in places, I am replacing the springs with a set of SVT - raising the car by a good inch probably - and a fresh set of SVT struts.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
^^^What he said! ;)

I had the Sportline's and Eibach dampers, but the dampers only lasted about 5000 km's. :angry:

I'm now running KYB AGX's with no issues yet :D
how did ur guys struts only last that long.

on my zx3 with ebay coil over things all the way down(wayyy lower than sport lines) i never blew my struts in the 60000km i put on them?

obviously it is a better idea to put the struts that were ment for the sport lines but if hes talking 1.5 drop i think he will be just fine.

In Europe FORD is pronounced "\kwa-le-te\"

2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke/twin turbo/crew cab/XLT/4x4 Edge programmer, Cat and Dpf delete, mbrp exhaust. 650hp 850ft/tq.....
2002 red SVT sport'in European Appearance package rims, AEM cai, #4111 of 4788, ranger 12v plug cover, 4500k HID HI/LO, eibach springs, H&R 15mm wheel spacers. sold Sad
2000 yellow zx3 sold
1994 mazda mx3 sold
1992 ford festiva (RIP)
well i had a prokit with stockers and the stock dampners lasted me a year from brand new before they blew.

upgrade, i went with kyb's AGX, GR2 will do aswell, just not as good...
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Prokits on for 2 years, shocks went downhill.

Went to a full retrofit with Eibach Swaybars, Tokico D-Spec Adjustable shocks, tubular control arms, etc. Basically there's no stock suspension items left except for the front toe arms.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
thanks for info guys, much appreciated ...

The sportlines apparently give at minimum a 2" drop, so I really dont want to take a chance and have to replace the OEM/stock parts a few weeks/months later.

I am not planning on doing auto-x or any race stuff.. My car is just a DD

gfxjamie >> what could i expect if I decided to go with the kyb gr2?
Now rockin a 06 ZX5 SES
It's best to install springs and dampers that are made for each other . I know it sounds 'romantic ' :D , but I found out that my original SVT struts went in the first 3-4 months after installing lowering springs . Just like Ken said , not enough travel .