Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Power Does Pzev Intake Rob?
I looked a little close at my ZX4ST and see that it has the PZEV air box. I assume this because of that guage thingy on the side of it. Just curious how much of a gain is to be had with a cold intake? Does installing one void my warranty? Thanks.
The gauge just shows how much air the filter is allowing in. Basically a gauge to indicate when to replace the box/filter. And all the newer Focus' have them. (05+ I believe)

Intakes are good for a few hp, and should not void the warranty. If you do go to the dealer, it's as simple as removing it temporarily if the particular dealer you go to has a problem with it, just ask them in advance.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
2FST4U,Jun 2 2007, 02:15 AM Wrote:I looked a little close at my ZX4ST and see that it has the PZEV air box. I assume this because of that guage thingy on the side of it. Just curious how much of a gain is to be had with a cold intake? Does installing one void my warranty? Thanks.
[right][snapback]240280[/snapback][/right]

Cold air intakes won't void your warrenty as long as ist doesn't cause a problem directly related to the intake.

A cold air intake usually adds "Few" extra ponies. Defintely one of the best bangs for your buck mod wise.

I'm not to familiar with the PZEV set you have (I have a ztech) maybe one of the other bobble-heads around here will know more. :P
ANTHONYD,Jun 2 2007, 07:34 AM Wrote:
2FST4U,Jun 2 2007, 02:15 AM Wrote:I looked a little close at my ZX4ST and see that it has the PZEV air box. I assume this because of that guage thingy on the side of it. Just curious how much of a gain is to be had with a cold intake? Does installing one void my warranty? Thanks.

Cold air intakes won't void your warrenty as long as ist doesn't cause a problem directly related to the intake.

A cold air intake usually adds "Few" extra ponies. Defintely one of the best bangs for your buck mod wise.

I'm not to familiar with the PZEV set you have (I have a ztech) maybe one of the other bobble-heads around here will know more. :P
[right][snapback]240285[/snapback][/right]

Only difference between the regular and pzev motors, relating to the air box is a separate breather hose. FocusSport.com shows the difference: http://focussport.com/coolflo.htm
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
The only way your car could be a PZEV car is if it's originally from California - and it would have a PZEV badge on the rear.

The early PZEVs were 2.3 Duratecs with just 130 hp ... that changed significantly in '05 at which point IIRC the PZEVs had essentially the same power as the non-PZEVs.

Bottom line: installing a CAI on an early PZEV would probably net you some big gains - later PZEVs probably much the same as a normal Duratec.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Your ST doesn't have a 2.3l PZEV.

I didn't even know they had the PZEV motor up there. Down here its only required in 4-5 states, and of course NY is one of them. :angry:

My 05 2.0l is a PZEV, but my buddy's ST is a normal 2.3l. They share the airbox, but thats the end of it.. the 2.0 has a few extra hoses running around for the emissions garbage.

Rip that box out, and put a CAI on.. you'll notice a difference. It won't void your warranty either unless you turn the car into a submarine and suck in water. But I think you'd have some bigger issues to deal with if you did that.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
The 2.3L has been proven to make no less than 8 more WHP with a true CAI. With a SRI, it's normally at least 5WHP more.

You'll be MUCH happier with a new intake on there. :D
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
When I popped the SRI on my 2.0L Duratec and got rid of that horrific lunchbox of suck, together with the MBRP I netted 5WHP and a much improved throttle response over stock, which always had a nasty pause when I stood on it...

NefCanuck