Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade Stock Sound?
Hi guys. i am new to the site-----just bough a used 2005 ZX4 ST sedan with 40000kms on the clock.
I am really disappointed with the sound from the stock player and speakers. It seems the rears are mounted in the doors as well as the fronts. There are none in the rear deck. It has the 6 CD head unit and has the AUX function?
Would a set of good dpeakers make much of an improvement? I am not looking for killer sound---just want clear crisp music with a bit of clear bass.
I suspect the rear deck would have been a better spot for the rears.
My questions are then----how much power is the stock unit putting out?
Would replacing the speakers alone improve the sound to a good degree?
Is it possible to put an amp of modest power---say 300 watts to get the new speakers pushing more air?
Lastly----is it possible the wiring is there for the stock sub the cars came with? Perhaps a wrecking yard may have the sub option to install?
The car is still under warranty so I need to keep things relatively clean and minimal labor.
Thanks for any advice.
2FST4U,May 17 2007, 12:05 AM Wrote:Hi guys. i am new to the site-----just bough a used 2005 ZX4 ST sedan with 40000kms on the clock.
I am really disappointed with the sound from the stock player and speakers. It seems the rears are mounted in the doors as well as the fronts. There are none in the rear deck. It has the 6 CD head unit and has the AUX function?
Would a set of good dpeakers make much of an improvement? I am not looking for killer sound---just want clear crisp music with a bit of clear bass.
I suspect the rear deck would have been a better spot for the rears.
My questions are then----how much power is the stock unit putting out?
Would replacing the speakers alone improve the sound to a good degree?
Is it possible to put an amp of modest power---say 300 watts to get the new speakers pushing more air?
Lastly----is it possible the wiring is there for the stock sub the cars came with? Perhaps a wrecking yard may have the sub option to install?
The car is still under warranty so I need to keep things relatively clean and minimal labor.
Thanks for any advice.
[right][snapback]238727[/snapback][/right]

I don't know much about car audio.. but I can help you a little bit. I'm also in the same boat as you -- I want a little bit better sound, but I'm also not in the market to build a brand new system in the car.

New speakers will make a difference in sound. I don't know about it in our cars, but in my bro's truck, we replaced the speakers, and the sound was much better.

The AUX button.. check out my post "So I acquired an ipod".

And YES (believe it or not!) the wiring is already in the car for the stock sub. If you were to pull out the headunit, you should notice a little pigtail back there doing nothing. Thats the hookup for the audiophile system.

All you need is the whole assembly in the rear, and the audiophile headunit. They seem very hard to come buy, and I don't think a wrecking yard would have the goodies needed, since 1) the subs for the zx3/5 won't fit, 2) the headunits changed in the 2005 model year.. so the 2000-2004 ones won't fit at all.

And just for the heck of it.. the sub assembly for the rear costs about $550US from Ford. No idea on the headunit, though.

Most people are going to tell you to replace the stock headunit, and start basically from scratch.

Hope that helped a bit.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try just upgrading the speakers for the moment. I have my doubt it is going to be a big improvement as I have to turn the deck up to almost full to get a volume I am happy with----impaired hearing.
I doubt the stock deck is pushing much power at all.
If that isn't enough perhaps I can find an amp that I can hide somewhere and power the speakers ad perhaps use the wiring for the sub and install a small sub box.
I can't understand why the manufacturer can't use the money spent on a top notch sound system. Like you mentioned---the stock replacements are expensive.
I suspect most people end up ripping the original system out and replace it anyways.
For the money they spend--they could put something decent in and it would help sell their product. Thanks again.
If you really don't want to upgrade much, i'd suggest at least adding an amp and aftermarket speakers. Simply adding speakers to a stock head unit won't impress you much in the long run, so while everything is off the car, mind as well amp the doors. B) And when you decide to throw in a sub and complete a nice setup, at least you'll be one step ahead and ready to upgrade.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
I put in a pair of entry level 2 way 5x7 (they bolt right in a ford) in the front doors. 100$~~ 50wRMS amp for those. 60$ on a clearance sale. A 150wRMS 10" sub in a ported box and thats amped to 150wRMS, about 300 for the pair. And a kenwood deck with 3 preouts and USB in the front. Deck was about 175.

Run the stock rears for fill off the deck.

If you want the stock deck still you need to use a line out converter. Or an aftermarket with 2 or 3 preouts.

Big Big difference in sound. Lemme know if I can help.

euro_zx5 is right, if you just add aftermarkets to the stock deck you will wish you didnt (well maybe you will) The stocker might put out 10w RMS. But it will still sound better then the papercone oneway speakers that are in it.
2007 Screaming Yellow ZX3 5 Speed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stock Speaker Upgrade Canadian ST 8 3,603 11-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Last Post: Canadian ST