Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying An Old Truck With No Ownership
Ok I know this is the wrong spot for this but I need help.

Ok so I take the back roads home sometimes and Ive noticed this old 60's landrover (defender) and it looks at me and says buy me (true story) I put it aside because I figure its probably rotted out. last week I tell my wife about it and she says " no fu#@ing way, we have no room (her way of saying I love you) so I went and looked at it today and it needs alot of work, the engine and clutch are in the back etc. The good news is that the frame is in great shape and it was stored inside a barn until it fell over last year and they dragged it out. ( he also has like 3 old Cris Craft wooden bouts in need of repair) .

THE PROBLEM

The truck has know ownership or paper work, I dont think its from Ontario because there is know rust anywere. So if I plan on putting it back on the road in the next 2-7 years how do I go about doing so????

thanks
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Have you actually verified that it was never registered in Ontario?

You can use the VIN to try and purchase a used vehicle info package for it. After that however, I have no idea how you would register a "titleless" car in ON.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 20 2007, 03:26 PM Wrote:Have you actually verified that it was never registered in Ontario?

You can use the VIN to try and purchase a used vehicle info package for it.  After that however, I have no idea how you would register a "titleless" car in ON.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]239031[/snapback][/right]

Well he got it at an auction a while ago and I can only assume its not from Ontario because of the great condition of the frame. I didnt see a vin # on the door or dash and I looked in the back seat at the engine?! and didnt notice one. I guess I might have to ask the M.O.T people but who knows if they know
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
run the vin, if it's in the owners name, he can get a new copy of the ownership, then sell it too you...
2001 Sangria Red ZTS, Zetec 5-spd, key gouges on hood and passenger fender (thanks idiots!Wink

Drivetrain and chassis: CAI, Steeda STS

Interior and exterior: Blacked out sidemarker lens, blacked out tailights, blacked out 3rd brake light, de-badged, cobra 40 ch. CB, Sirius

VA3RBV, Basic class licence!
yeah couple of things you need to look at

1- Find the VIN, i know you said you didn't see it, but it must be there somewhere and you will need it later on forsure.

2- I have carfax, lets just run the VIN to see if we can find any history on this thing.

3- If you do find the VIN number on the car, and if its registered in ONT. then you can just go to any MTO with the owner and ask for lost ownership paper(cost $10), once that is done, they you can just change over the ownership.

if none of this ever work then then last option, contact MTO and ask then what can be done if the vehicles VIN is missing.

At the end of the day, you have to be careful with this. You dont want to spend all the money and time on this car and find out you can't register it.

Goodluck.

EDIT. I love google,

Here you go, if your vehicle does not have VIn in Ontario, i guess you can request it. here is the link. Scrol down to Rebuilt car/kit cars, you can just request VIN

http://www.canadianrodder.com/features/f...tering.htm
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Yeah, this might require a fair amount of paperwork to enjoy it fully... but it sounds as though it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,May 21 2007, 01:34 PM Wrote:Yeah, this might require a fair amount of paperwork to enjoy it fully... but it sounds as though it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck!
[right][snapback]239123[/snapback][/right]

Well if I can get the Land Rover in my name it will be great, I wanna go offroading in style. Just hope I can find someone who knows how the thing goes back together
my buddy was in a similiar situation and had to show the ministry a letter from the actual owner indicating the sale, transfer of ownership and that the vehicle was never registered.
'02 CD Silver SVT
All the options
#3731 out of 4788

'85 Mustang GT
Not sure how helpful this will be, but it can't hurt:

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.Chassis_Numbers.html

Quote:90, 110, 130 & Defenders:

Found in the behind Rover's left front corner of the windshield
Stamped on plate Riveted to the top of the brake pedal box in the engine compartment
Stamped on the right-hand side of the chassis forward the spring mounting turret
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
torradan,Jun 2 2007, 10:45 AM Wrote:Not sure how helpful this will be, but it can't hurt:

http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.3.Chassis_Numbers.html

Quote:90, 110, 130 & Defenders:

Found in the behind Rover's left front corner of the windshield
Stamped on plate Riveted to the top of the brake pedal box in the engine compartment
Stamped on the right-hand side of the chassis forward the spring mounting turret
[right][snapback]240308[/snapback][/right]

Thanks alot, i will check it out!!!! :lol: