Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Ford Sucks In "north America"
ZTWsquared,Mar 31 2007, 02:45 AM Wrote:Opinions? Yeah gotta couple.

[quote=ondafritz] .......

In any event I also think it’s good that you care and encourage you to share your feelings with Ford of Canada – let me know who you want to direct your comments to and I’ll give you their email addy.
[right][snapback]232590[/snapback][/right]

Are they hiring lol? Anyways, ZTWSquared you posted a A+ media grade response to all of my concerns, I think at the end of the day, Ford and GM, Chrysler and Toyota/Honda/Nissan will specialize in different areas and outsource from one another as in Escape/Mariner Hybrid using Toyota HSD technology and so forth. I think my post was concerning the ME4FORDs and others who are programmed in part by the marketing that Domestics are domestic and never buy a non BIG 3 (the BIG 3 from 5yrs ago) product. I see it that the funny part is that GM and Ford makes cars with North American needs in mind but don't have the style or features of others... But thanks to GM and Ford and maybe Chrysler that we have more cupholders than passengers and that is not a bad thing for our life style vs Japanese cars which are truly still built for the percentile of people who live in Japan = 5'0-5'7... with only a few exceptions.

Anyways part of my post was hoping that a Marketing rep or PR rep from Ford/GM was reading it and that I could get a car for cheaper than a Japanese branded car at any given time.

last thing is that if you really thing about it, high technology/mfg. has a sentimental value to the nation in which we live in, regardless of ethnicity.
From the T.O. to the B-Lo. (D'Youville)
"Can I be da Joke Pimp?"
ZED_not_zee,Mar 31 2007, 11:20 AM Wrote:VSC is a cheap fix for poor chassie and suspension design... that's why so many companys offer it'' it's cheaper to make the car control it's power rather than handle it...
[right][snapback]232611[/snapback][/right]

I don't disagree, but one exception, then why does the Ultimate Driving Machine have each of its models equipped with it :lol: . Anyways, a Car is an appliance and some of the toys or gadgets can make it more interactive sometimes and yes I give for Respect for offering VSC on the Focus, but the consumers didn't buy it... had I known the 1998-2002 Honda Accord V6s with auto (acceleration abt the same as the Focus) was not reliable, I would have gotten the focus, even though it seemed too good to be true lol.. the Focus did have Side Airbags as did the V6 Accord after 2001. I missed one boat, was hoping the Euro Focus would come to Canada/USA so that we can have a bargain BMW if we can call a Focus that.
"Can I be da Joke Pimp?"
darkpuppet,Apr 2 2007, 05:00 PM Wrote:I picked up a focus with stability assist for $31k .. how many of you are willing to fork that kind of money over for a focus?

it's strange too, because people will pay that on other vehicles...  but everyone wants fords to be cheap, reliable, and feature packed.. well, you can't have all three..

people complain and want to petition ford to bring over something that they themselves wouldn't even buy... so why keep going down this route.

When ford offers it, nobody buys it...so why would they continue to offer it?

same as the My Colour guages in mustangs.  I personally love the feature.. so I paid my extra to get it.

But I'm one of a very few that did, so it's not being offered.  I voted with my wallet.. unfortunately, being in the minority doesn't make good business sense.
[right][snapback]232932[/snapback][/right]

I agree with your view. I just believe that offering some cool things on the car i.e. VSC or for the mustang, My Colour gauges makes it appeal to a handful of people who would never otherwise buy the car.. sometimes thought the handful of people like that they don't have the Secretary's mustang but have a cool sports car lol, same goes with the Focus. If I am lucky, maybe I can find a rare used focus with VSC, it's an amazing car, in my opinion better than a Civic for many reasons and to top it off, it has low end torque which is nice.
"Can I be da Joke Pimp?"
ondafritz,Apr 5 2007, 01:28 AM Wrote:Are they hiring lol? Anyways, ZTWSquared you posted a A+ media grade response to all of my concerns, I think at the end of the day, Ford and GM, Chrysler and Toyota/Honda/Nissan will specialize in different areas and outsource from one another as in Escape/Mariner Hybrid using Toyota HSD technology and so forth.
See, THIS statement shows exactly whom is "brainwashed by marketing" and media. Ford's hybrids do not use Toyota's hybrid system. At all. Ford has "licensed" various components because the Ford design shares some component design through a third-party company partially owned by Toyota.

ie. To make a log house, I need a hammer, but my competitor who makes brick houses owns the hammer factory. So I license the hammer from him. Does that mean that I make brick houses? No. Does my competitor make log houses? No. But instead of making my own factory to make hammers, it's cheaper to just rent a hammer.

What you don't hear in the media is this: Toyota licenses diesel technology from Ford. A lot of it.

Quote:I think my post was concerning the ME4FORDs and others who are programmed in part by the marketing that Domestics are domestic and never buy a non BIG 3 (the BIG 3 from 5yrs ago) product.
The reason why the Mefords and others buy Big 3 is because 1) we work there and 2) they were the companies that have given the most to the communities that many of us live in. And if you look at the Big 3 of today, you will find that if you take the blinders off and review real quality stats that the "quality gap" between domestics and imports have been closed up for years now. The skyrocketting number of recalls lately at Toyota and Honda bear it out.

Programmed? Hardly. I just don't s*** where I eat.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
ondafritz,Apr 5 2007, 02:39 AM Wrote:I agree with your view. I just believe that offering some cool things on the car i.e. VSC or for the mustang, My Colour gauges makes it appeal to a handful of people who would never otherwise buy the car..

And yet, didn't you just say that your biggest beef is that ford isn't bringing over the ST and other cars that have just the same limited appeal in the north american market?

Quote:sometimes thought the handful of people like that they don't have the Secretary's mustang but have a cool sports car lol, same goes with the Focus.  If I am lucky, maybe I can find a rare used focus with VSC, it's an amazing car, in my opinion better than a Civic for many reasons and to top it off, it has low end torque which is nice.
[right][snapback]233320[/snapback][/right]

Unfortunately, buying used isn't supporting Ford's efforts to provide cool products. We complain that they don't bring x or y to north america, but if you don't buy the car new off the lot, you're not really supporting Ford the car manufacturer.. so all they can do is support the market that makes them money.

It's unfortunate, but people are willing to pay a premium for a volkswagen to watch the windows continually fall into the doors, but won't pay a little extra for a truly great feature like advance trac..
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

And by the way, I pretty much stayed out of it because this is another Ford whine-fest, but since I'm in it now I thought I'd point out that if people did more research...

Dated: Sept. 13, 2006

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_dis...m?release=24259

Old news...
Late this summer will begin year 7 in the same Focus. Lots of problems early on but the value in terms of cost and performance afirms it was a good choice and that it filled the role I had in mind more it very well and in fact better than expected. I didn't even buy it for myself initially but liked it enough to keep it when I had the chance to unload it.

The thinking at Ford coprorate does boggle my mind though, ever since the start and to this day. Dealership experiences have also been poor in general or not to my expectations at least.

Speaking of and as a side, there are no Ford dealers in Toronto anymore now that Bay Ford Lincoln in Yorkville sold out to a hotel developer. The expectation now is to go to their new location somewhere north of Steeles which I consider Northern Ontario and just as awkward to get to. My next nearest dealer in Scarberia wont offer a shuttle or loaner. I have also found out there is a waiting list "weeks" long for planned maintenance because of all the displaced people. One too many $20 taxi rides each way to my house and I may sell my Focus.

Ford HQ better step in because it is not a stretch to imagine them losing "fleet" contracts including the mother load police one if there are no dealers anywhere near the core.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
darkpuppet,Apr 5 2007, 09:03 AM Wrote:It's unfortunate, but people are willing to pay a premium for a volkswagen to watch the windows continually fall into the doors, but won't pay a little extra for a truly great feature like advance trac..
[right][snapback]233334[/snapback][/right]
Just like air bags and before that seat belts (and yes I'm old enough to remember the debates over seat belts) consumers talk out of both sides of their mouth ... in every survey consumers rate "safety" as one of their top priorities ... but offer them safety as an option and they'd rather pay for the rims and the and the sounds.

There's a saying in my industry ... "Safety sells ... but only if you're willing to give it away." Consumers want all the advanced safety features manufacturers can come up with ... they just don't want to pay extra for them.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
whatabout yorkville ford?

darkpuppet,Apr 5 2007, 10:16 AM Wrote:whatabout yorkville ford?
[right][snapback]233365[/snapback][/right]

Does NOT exist, the next nearest are now Quennsway in Etobicoke or Donway Scarbourough. Donway would be about $30 cab ride for you each way and Queensway more.

Honestly an easier option for me is going to Dixie and taking an airport shuttle back downtown :rolleyes:
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
yeah, i've been going to donway, but they still haven't fully delivered the car I ordered yet.. was hoping to switch back to bay ford once the tint and wheel issues were sorted out...

damn..

You know, the more I think about it, the more I begin to think that maybe it's Ford's marketing department that needs a head check.. They really need to build up interest in the cool products we want them to bring over.

Get the lowest commond denominator interested in the good products instead of delivering the products they want by default.

For example.. Subaru markets Rally Bred Performance and Reliability. Ford markets Rally Bred Styling.

If Ford doesn't have confidence in it's own product, how can people believe in them?

Most people are happy with bread and butter cars and treat cars like applainces such as a toaster or washing machine. Only a small percentage of people are enthusiasts and that what Sube and a few others try to hit. For all the press and discussion Subaru manages to generate they only make up a very small percent of the market like 1 or 2 percent. They are still pretty rare outsdide of Quebec, Sothern Ontario and Lower Mainland BC.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
There's one near yorkdale mall - Yorkdale Ford, and one near TDOT-ZX3's house - Evins Ford. Both very good dealors. both are located in Toronto Ontario.
My other ride is your Mom
I can come up with a list of GTA ford dealers if anyone wants...we have a big GTA map in our dispatch office with all the ford, GM, and DC dealers marked out...
2001 Sangria Red ZTS, Zetec 5-spd, key gouges on hood and passenger fender (thanks idiots!Wink

Drivetrain and chassis: CAI, Steeda STS

Interior and exterior: Blacked out sidemarker lens, blacked out tailights, blacked out 3rd brake light, de-badged, cobra 40 ch. CB, Sirius

VA3RBV, Basic class licence!
Ford will probably never bring the Euro Focus to North America as Ford is too cheap. It is far cheaper to continue updating an aging platform since so many North Americans don't know any better and continue to purchase it... Think of the Chevy Cavalier - LOL.

Other manufacturers (some of them Ford owned) like Volvo, Audi, Mini, etc will provide what a lot of people really want (at least in Canada) - which is high-quality premium small hatchbacks.

If you want a decent budget small hatchback, go for the Mazda3, which is based on the same platform as the Euro Focus. I really like the Mazda3 Sport myself... but a Cooper S would be my first choice.

Although I like the Euro Focus, I would much rather have the new Euro Honda Civic Type-R. :-) Sigh... back to my old Focus...
Stock 2000 Ford Focus ZX3, RF Green, 5sp, A/C, 4-Cyl DOHC, etc.
walk0080,May 10 2007, 10:45 AM Wrote:Ford will probably never bring the Euro Focus to North America as Ford is too cheap. It is far cheaper to continue updating an aging platform since so many North Americans don't know any better and continue to purchase it... Think of the Chevy Cavalier - LOL.

Other manufacturers (some of them Ford owned) like Volvo, Audi, Mini, etc will provide what a lot of people really want (at least in Canada) - which is high-quality premium small hatchbacks.

If you want a decent budget small hatchback, go for the Mazda3, which is based on the same platform as the Euro Focus. I really like the Mazda3 Sport myself... but a Cooper S would be my first choice.

Although I like the Euro Focus, I would much rather have the new Euro Honda Civic Type-R. :-) Sigh... back to my old Focus...
[right][snapback]237936[/snapback][/right]

preaching to the wrong choir my freind. :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,May 10 2007, 11:48 AM Wrote:preaching to the wrong choir my freind. :lol:
[right][snapback]237952[/snapback][/right]
If money is no object, you can buy whatever you want. Why don't you have that Cooper or Mazda3Speed?

Reality is, these boards are not any different than 90% of other ones out there.

Full of dreamers, "if only" people. Waa waa waa. Reality is, only a small percentage of these people actually put their money where their mouth is.

Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda...they don't base their product lineup based on what people wish they could buy and don't -- they base it on what they think can sell and make a profit on. How many Honda Type Rs are here in Canada? Not the sticker variety, the real one.

Hey, if they came out with a Euro ST Focus, I'd buy one. I can actually afford one, not dream about it.
OAC_Sparky,May 10 2007, 01:03 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,May 10 2007, 11:48 AM Wrote:preaching to the wrong choir my freind. :lol:
[right][snapback]237952[/snapback][/right]
If money is no object, you can buy whatever you want. Why don't you have that Cooper or Mazda3Speed?

Reality is, these boards are not any different than 90% of other ones out there.

Full of dreamers, "if only" people. Waa waa waa. Reality is, only a small percentage of these people actually put their money where their mouth is.

Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda...they don't base their product lineup based on what people wish they could buy and don't -- they base it on what they think can sell and make a profit on. How many Honda Type Rs are here in Canada? Not the sticker variety, the real one.

Hey, if they came out with a Euro ST Focus, I'd buy one. I can actually afford one, not dream about it.
[right][snapback]237960[/snapback][/right]

yeah, you missed what I meant big time. :lol:
Didn't miss it at all. If they figured it would be as profitable here as the few hundred members on this board here thinks, it would be here.

Let's see. "Normal" people that don't bother joining car enthusiast forums (yep, believe it or not, we're a minority) don't care if it performs like the Euro.

Focus owners I personally know outside of this board:

Mother in law -- doesn't care.
Wife's girlfriend -- doesn't care.
Neighbour/best friend's daughter -- doesn't care.
Fellow workers (7, in my immediate area). 6/7 -- don't care. The one that cares is the guy's son that drives it most of the time.

So, that's 2/11 that I know that would be willing to pony up to spend more on a HiPerf Focus. The rest are more concerned about economy (the Euro ST runs premium) and initial purchase cost (the Euro costs more) and reliability.

I wish the business case was different. I hope it changes.
Yeah, you def missed it.

My point of posting "Your preaching to ...."

Was meant to say to him that we already know all about the ms3 being what it is & being closest to the euro focus that we'll get.

I've already said many times that a euro focus ST would be like 35-40k here and nobody would buy it. ;)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell, "fatphocus"... fatphocus 13 6,046 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  About To "bite The Bullet" oldeguy 3 2,468 09-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  "i'm A Stranger Here" Steve 28 11,357 06-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Last Post: thenorm
  North America Could Get Next-gen Ford Focus Rs ZX3_2NV 5 2,119 04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Last Post: Oscar The Grouch
  Anyone Have Info On My Car, "tantrik Zx3" fatphocus 21 7,460 12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fatphocus
  "brainwave" oldeguy 7 2,856 05-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Last Post: reldridge
  Odd "watery Burble" Noise At 2k In 1st? NOS2Go4Me 10 4,569 04-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me
  Right Tire Jumps When "spinning" In 1st Gear(drag) G1rlZX3dRiVeR 22 8,059 03-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Mason
  Who Wants To Be My "eibach Buddy?" ZTWsquared 4 2,311 12-12-2006, 04:41 AM
Last Post: ZTWsquared
  2007 Ford Focus "pzev" Frost__2001 4 2,677 09-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Last Post: guilty