Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Guys I Need Help Plz
Ok here's the deal guys. I've got some money and my current computer is getting old, 3+ yrs at this point. It still runs everything but the CPU runs really hot and seems to overheat really easily so i think its time to upgrade.

Here's what i'm looking for some help with. I just bought a new AGP video card last year so whatever i buy has to support AGP. So any suggestions on motherboards that support AGP. Intel or AMD isn't a big deal, i've always had Intel chipsets but i'm open to going to a AMD.

Basically I'm gonna replace my MB, CPU, and RAM with new stuff and keep the rest of my computer as the rest of it is still working fine.

Thanks for the help guys.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Mar 16 2007, 06:38 PM Wrote:Ok here's the deal guys. I've got some money and my current computer is getting old, 3+ yrs at this point. It still runs everything but the CPU runs really hot and seems to overheat really easily so i think its time to upgrade.

Here's what i'm looking for some help with. I just bought a new AGP video card last year so whatever i buy has to support AGP. So any suggestions on motherboards that support AGP. Intel or AMD isn't a big deal, i've always had Intel chipsets but i'm open to going to a AMD.

Basically I'm gonna replace my MB, CPU, and RAM with new stuff and keep the rest of my computer as the rest of it is still working fine.

Thanks for the help guys.
[right][snapback]230904[/snapback][/right]

First off.. What's your budget.

Secondly.. good luck finding /new/ parts that support AGP. I just upgraded my vid card and it was one of 4 I could get in my city. Not cool.

AGP motherboards, in the AMD field.. Look at Socket A boards, aside from that.. If you want some realistic, good advice...

Get a new system from the ground up. You're saying you want to upgrade, but you're upgrading to really old technology that's hard as hell to buy new..

You can reuse your CD drives and harddrive(s), and if you have a decent power supply and case those are reusable too .. So then you just need ram, vid card, mobo, processor, and that's really it..

SLi cards, or any other PCI-E cards, are ridiculously cheap now, yeah you just got an AGP card but ... getting a great AGP based system now is hard to do..And it's getting expensive.

If you want some better help, PM me or throw me a line on MSN, I'll set you a system up with some options, just give me an idea of your budget and what you want to do with it ..

[Image: rivalphotographygf0.jpg]
But if you don't wanna upgrade, it sounds like you just have a blanket of dust built up in the case, so get some compressed air and a vac to clean it out... should resolve the issues (assuming it is overheating). It was such a common problem at the shop I worked at in high school...
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
I'm surprised this isnt at 10 pages yet.

Go habs GO! :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Mar 19 2007, 10:44 AM Wrote:I'm surprised this isnt at 10 pages yet.

[right][snapback]231087[/snapback][/right]

Well, now the thread officially stinks ;)

Either Intel Core Duo for a good run (but AFAIK they don't have AGP boards) or AMD S939 if you can find it (try http://www.ncix.com).

My money's on a good Asus or DFI S939 board, but I'm biased because of years of great S939 computing.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 19 2007, 01:23 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Mar 19 2007, 10:44 AM Wrote:I'm surprised this isnt at 10 pages yet.

[right][snapback]231087[/snapback][/right]

Well, now the thread officially stinks ;)

Either Intel Core Duo for a good run (but AFAIK they don't have AGP boards) or AMD S939 if you can find it (try http://www.ncix.com).

My money's on a good Asus or DFI S939 board, but I'm biased because of years of great S939 computing.
[right][snapback]231135[/snapback][/right]

Well I've found boards made by Asrock that support AGP still for the Intel 775, so thats the route i'm looking at heading down right now.

I think being that i'm gonna have to reload windows finally, almost 3 yrs since i did it last, i'm gonna upgrade to vista while i'm at it. Cheaper to do it now, i can get the system price instead of full price.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Well the more I looked into it the more i realized the MB i was looking at was really gonna handicap me down the road. So i'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a better motherboard and a new video card while i'm at it.

So the new stuff its looks like while be this:

MB: MSI P6N SLI-FI
CPU: Intel Core 2 6300
Ram: OCZ Platinum PC 6400 2Gb
VC: Asus ATI Radeon X1950Pro
PS: Kingwin Mach 1 520W

I'm spending more than i really wanted to but i think this setup will last me for awhile so i'm hoping its money well spent.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

Just a FYI... ATi/AMD's "Pro" video cards haven't been supreme gaming contenders since the 9800 Pro days. Opt for a XL/XT-series if you can... it'll be worth the extra bucks.

For a serious video card comparison that puts it all out there in raw numbers, check this out:

TechARP's video card comparison guide - formerly Adrian's Rojak Pot for those of us geeks that remember it being named as such.

Actually, an AMD/ATi X1900XT would be a really sweet card and it'd out-perform the X1950 Pro any day of the week. Hell, an X1800XL/XT would run circles around it. They're all the same tech-level (DX 9.0c), and the X1800-series supports AVIVO encoding (as does the X19XX series)... if you can find one, you'd be laughing.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Thanks Nos, i was hoping you would chime in with something.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

When you're checking around for prices, are you checking places like newegg or zipzoomfly or any of those joints?

If they want to rape you on shipping costs to Kanada, drop me a line..
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
No problem bud. Also, NCIX is Canadian and so is http://www.canadacomputer.com. Tiger Direct is NOT 100% Canadian (in terms of stock location) and sometimes you pay duties on parts shipped from their US warehouses. It's stupid, but it happens.

As torradan mentions, zipzzoomfly and newegg are US resellers and you will get knocked up with the shipping and duties. Unless he becomes your underpaid parts mule :D

Thanks for the offers guys.

I've got a shop here that sells parts at pretty close to the same price as NCIX so thats where i ended up getting the parts. I'm putting the new beast together as we speak.

First problem, the thermaltake cooler i bought doesn't fit on the cpu properly cuz its rubbing on a couple of the capacitors on the motherboard. Guess i'll be returning it, for now i think i'm just gonna go with the stock. Get it all working then think about OC'ing and a new cooler.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

Well a few hours later and the new computer is up and running. Aside from the already mentioned issue, this one went together really nicely. And man is it alot faster than the old pc.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deal Of The Day For Computer Guys NOS2Go4Me 65 21,763 12-03-2005, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Aka
  For You Computer Guys smith21 7 2,257 07-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD