Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would This Work?
On my drive into work, at 5:30 a.m. while listening to the Q and trying not to yell at the slow pokes ahead of me, I began to think about this. If I put in a new air intake, like the K&N Typhoon, and found someone to make a hood scoop, ( if price and labour wasn't an issue ), would this be as good as or better than buying a CAI. I'm thinking that it might be a way to avoid the possibilty of water getting into the engine.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
I myself don't like CAI's. They are prone to breaking, the filters get dirty too fast. Especially in this rainy/muddy season.

You'll get allot of benefits just from a short ram intake, if you can make add a hood scoop that allowed cool air to get to the filter and ensure water didn't I think it would be real good.
May want to look into a Volant intake w/ the ram-air scoop. There is one for sale over on FF or FJ for like $175.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
I have the K&N Typhoon and I couldn't be happier with it. It sounds great and I don't have to worry about water. I would go for it. Mine Has been on well over a year and it works fine in all weather conditions. I will look for some pic's for you.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
The power increase you'll see from cutting a hole in your hood is maybe half a horse, rock a short ram and keep it away from water..

I was thinking for the past few days about going and getting a CAI, till last night I got stuck in a puddle for 20 minutes.. Would've destroyed my engine if I had a CAI mounted low.

Another thing is, with a hood scoop .. You'll be looking at a lot of crap getting into your engine bay, dust water leaves bugs.. Not worth it, and IMO, they don't usually look that good..
[Image: rivalphotographygf0.jpg]
WOW all of you are so paranoid about hydro locking your motors... why not by a bypass valve?

lol on a side not I blew up a zetec with an AEM CAI.. lol water literally poured from the vacume lines hahahahahaha... but i got lucky and found a motor for like $500... and poped it in without much hassel.. and considering when i bout the CAI it was like$700 (they had been availble for a week tops) puting in a new motor was actually cheaper....

[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!