Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Amp Hookup
How would I go about hooking up 2, 400watt amplifiers together to make there be 800 watts to the sub ?
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
... I cant even remember why but I do remember its not a great idea....
Most people just buy the right amp ;)

2000 ZX3
its not a matter of the right amp you can make a design with 2 amps that look cool.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
zx5power,Mar 9 2007, 12:06 PM Wrote:its not a matter of the right amp you can make a design with 2 amps that look cool.
[right][snapback]229509[/snapback][/right]

Did you actually think about what that before you typed it?

If you just care about the looks of it, why wire them up at all, just mount the 2 amps, and the sub and it'll look cool.

Honestly if you want it to sound good, get an amp thats matched to the sub you wanna run.

In this case, function or form my friend.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

You could run dual subs, 1 amp per sub and then just run it that way. Technically, that's correct AND it would look cool. What you're talking about isn't just "wrong", it could overheat one of the amps and possibly cause a fire.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Anyone know how it hooks up ?
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
i don't think i have ever heard of someone hooking up 2 amps to one sub. just sell one amp and get your money back or buy a next sub and wire one amp to each sub
Interior
Jvc headunit, , Kicker Zx 1000.1, 2 12" Kicker comp VR, Diamond plate floor mats

Power mods
FRPP spark plug wires, Volant CAI
I have 3 subs but there all hooked up to one terminal in my box , I wanted two amplifiers to make a custom design and since my box is so huge I find two would match close to the large box .
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Isn't it usual for an amp for say subs another amp for speakers?
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
Really there is no good way to hook them up. Are they the same amp? There is an article in this months car audio and electronics about this very topic but this is for a dual voice coil sub.

The problem is that both amps needs to have the exact same output voltage, which you need the gains matched. Not easy to do with multimeters and a proper sign wave disk, plus ensuring the deck is set at the oprimal volume level, if not you will cook the amps and the sub.

Really this is a bad idea, will lead to a lot of damage. Hook 1 amp up leave the other for show if that is the way you want to go.

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
exact same amp wattage and brand
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Well I would consult a proinstaller to set them up. Likely they would not want to do it,
A little higher voltage output on one amp and both are cooked. And be careful Im talking speaker level voltage not wattage. Then gain controls on the amps must be set exactly the same. Again highly not recommended.
David
You'll still never be able to get them set-up exactly the same. If you really want the 2 amp look, why not use one amp for the subs and get a second amp thats the same size for your speakers and amp those.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Well the amps im looking at are 400 watts and that is not enough to push my subs with just one, if you guys think that it is a bad idea then I will take your advice , can someone explain to me what a capacitor does ?
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
A cap hold a short burst of energy and can recharge quickly, usually used in conjunction with sub amps. It keeps the voltage to the amp more consistant. Most people feel these will help with dimming headlights

As for your power, do not limit yourself based on the subs ratings. A 400 watt amp will push most regular subs. You should be worried more about the distortion of your system. Ive had good quality 100 watt amps pushing 1000watt subs just fine.

David
Well you guys seem to know quite a bit so can someone try unscramble some things for me lol
http://www.obcon.com/
Thats my type of sub as discussed in a later thread and Im looking into a 400 watt amplifier so how should I go about hooking it all up so I can get some hard bass,

In my past car I had two 12inch pioneer 400 watts a piece hooked up to a 365 watt kenwood amp and it didnt seem to have that much bass compared to some cars that ive heard .

Should I put a 400 watt bridged amp to my 3 10 inch obcon subs with a cap ?

Hany hints welcome im completely a rookie on entertainment.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Heres the problem with 3 subs you divide it so each sub recieved 1/3 the power of the amp. The other thing was how were they wired. Its would be about a 1.3ohm load assuming a 4 ohm speaker. Which for a Kenwood amp is likely to low. Now that is very technical basically that amp is not built to handle that load. Now if you wired the subs where the positive and negative teminals are hooked up oppisate then the subs could be canceling each other out. There are so many variables that can effect out put. I would need a list of all components in the system plus how they are all wired.
David
my new subs are all connected to hit at the same time
Ford Focus SES ZX5
TEAM DURATEC # 99