Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Gear Testdrives The Gt500
^^ You're not a poseur, you're a downtown pimp. :P

I think it's a great car, but certain things shouldn't even have to be thought about if you want to take it to the track. It's an entirely different platform and concept, but if I want to take my ZX5 to Mosport... I'll be slow but (hopefully) clean out there. For an entry-level lapper, an upgraded suspension and rubber is pretty much all you need if you're serious. After that, I'll just largely follow in P-51's shoes. :D

Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Well, thanks for what you said DP...

The Live axle was also used to be able to handle a lot of torsional forces too if you decide to upgrade with power adders. Yes, it does allow for wheel hop, especially after you add a C&L or similar intake and a 93 Tune, and disable the TCS.

I also know now that if you put heavier duty LCA and UCA's on them, like a chromoly steel one from FRPP or something, combined with poly bushings, a chromoly panhard rod, etc...you will elminate or vastly decrease the wheel hop, and also have a rear end that's less inclined to buck laterally when you don't want it to. I know that they are an absolute must if you lower the mustang. You either need control arms with adjustable angles, or get the adapters that allow you to mount them lower on the axle so that it's horizontal again like stock, or go lower then stock in the rear of the arm for even more grip.

Now, DO you need to do all this? Not if you are satisified with the stock vehicle. Do most of us with (or had) a Foci HAVE to change the suspension? No, of course not...lol...we just wanted to.

In all honesty, I can take corners almost as fast in my Stock GT as I could in my Focus with an aftermarket suspension (with the exception of very short/tight/decreasing radius turns).

I understand what everyone was trying to say, and well, the test drive of the mustang GT on topgear with the horse wagon factory as an example of how un-sophisticated the live axle can be. However I also know that most of the suspension and the chasis on the S197 is from the Lincoln LSV8 Sport/Ultimate, and the Jaguar X-type...both of which are not shabby cars by any stretch...

All I was saying in short, is that the S197 is what it is. I also know that the difference between the V6 and the GT is rather large too. I could tell during my first test drive of a GT after a V6, in 30ft that the GT was a LOT taughter. It was that obvious. I still think both offer real-world competent performance for price and class, and as you mentioned...cost a LOT less than cars like the 350Z (which the FR500 destroyed during the Grand Am course at Daytona yesterday anyways).

Sorry if I came across as a little grumpy..

L8tz
Bleeding Ford Blue again...