Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Rear Drum
After 7yrs and 230k km later, I need to replace the rear shoes. My question is other than the shoes do I need anything else? New drum? Rear Bearing? Rear cylinder? Never did it before, any advise will be good.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
same here....i have a feeling i need to take a look at mine and maybe to replace
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
It's almost impossible to answer before you take it apart..cylinder if they are not leaking( or seized ) you don't have to change them , bearings , not loose ( no need to replace ) shoes I guess you need some , drums , it depend how much wear they have . You will probably find a seized ( rusted ) adjuster that is not working anymore but you should be able to clean it with patiente.. I took mine apart many time ( on both of my focus ) and I have pics if you don't have the shop manual I should be able to provide some good info for you.
Martin !
...V8 RX7...

...[Image: stan.gif]
mpcv2000,Mar 1 2007, 05:38 PM Wrote:It's almost impossible to answer before you take it apart..cylinder if they are not leaking( or seized )  you don't have to change them , bearings , not loose ( no need to replace ) shoes I guess you need some , drums , it depend how much wear they have . You will probably find a seized ( rusted )  adjuster that is not working anymore but you should be able to clean it with patiente.. I took mine apart many time ( on both of my focus ) and I have pics if you don't have the shop manual I should be able to provide some good info for you.
[right][snapback]228638[/snapback][/right]

Post those pics up!
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Most of the time the drum is still good but for the price you should buy new wheel cylinders , sprins and shoes.

Edit with those kms you most likely need drums hope I helped ive did brakes many times.
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Flofocus,Mar 1 2007, 06:37 PM Wrote:Post those pics up!
[right][snapback]228652[/snapback][/right]

I don't know exactly which picture you want , I kind of create my own shop manual when I take stuff apart or work on my car I document everything ( with pictures ) I have over 300 misc. pics. about my Focus. It's always usefull when I put it back together since when I work on my car it can take me weeks before putting stuff back together so sometime I forget... :P

Ask me what you need to see and I should have pics of it. B)
Martin !
...V8 RX7...

There is only one way to know. Next nice day crack them open or have some one do a free break estimate.
2000 ZX3
Mason,Mar 1 2007, 10:37 PM Wrote:There is only one way to know. Next nice day crack them open or have some one do a free break estimate.
[right][snapback]228676[/snapback][/right]

Agree 100% . !
Martin !
...V8 RX7...

mpcv2000,Mar 2 2007, 12:43 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Mar 1 2007, 06:37 PM Wrote:Post those pics up!
[right][snapback]228652[/snapback][/right]

Ask me what you need to see and I should have pics of it. B)
[right][snapback]228664[/snapback][/right]

I have the manual but if you can do a walkthrough with tools need that will be great. :D

BTW, I am surfing bat web site and find the following prices, are they reasonable?

Rear Drum/shoe set both side $105
Wheel bearing set $80
Cylinder set $67
Total $250US + shipping

While I am at it I may do the SS line as well, that is $90US.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
Your local partsource will loan you the tools you need :lol: B)
2000 ZX3
The only special tool needed is the big socket to remove the nut on the drum , all other stuff can be done with basic mechanic tool.

Before buying stuff , take it apart first to estimate what you will need. I'm sure you're buying too much stuff with the above list.
Martin !
...V8 RX7...

unless your pedal goes to the floor when you push it .. you won't need wheel cylinders

and with the amount of miles you have on your car, i'd say just get a new drum from ford .. last summer i paid $120 for the pair of drums w/bearings from ford .. and they wanted like $87 for just the bearings
Below Average Car Club
yeah the rear drums have the bearings inculded. So if you have to change brkaes just change the shoes and drums. this way your bearings are new as well :)
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

if you just change the shoes and choose not to replace the the drums i would say get your drums machined to give them a nice new finish for the new shoes. it will help the new shoes wear better. also if you do the inspection your self fold back the dust boots on the wheel cylenders and make sure that there is no brake fluid in there. if there is a small leak around the piston/seal in the cylender it will let fluid lieak out and collect in the boot.
I did mine and I couldn't get one of my rear drums off, I had to break the wheel bearing so I would say be prepare for the worst....Ford use to sell the whole drum assembly(shoes, cylinders, drums, bearing, backing plate as one peice unit....so you would need a left side and a right....They may or may not sell it....
My ZX3 had over 130,000 on it when I sold it, and I had only ever replaced the rear shoes once, and the wheel bearings once. The drums didn't even need to get turned...the rear brakes on the Focus are rather good, and seem to last a long time...

I say to replace the stuff that you said looks worn out, and leave the stuff that's working/within tolerances alone...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear drum brakes sticking duckcanuck 9 9,852 05-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Last Post: GFXjamie