Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice On A Budget?
Hey all///

My first mod i want to do is upgrade the stereo a bit. Id like to keep the stock deck but i read im wasting my time. Same with the stock speakers.

Can some one recommend a deck, 4 speakers, amp and single sub that i can research? Man there is so much to look at my head is spinning lol. I want to retain some hatch space.

I dont know if amping the speakers is ness, i dont need 3k+watts or anything. Just something that puts a bit of bass down without breaking the bank.

Oh yea its an 07 zx3
2007 Screaming Yellow ZX3 5 Speed
I redid my system 3 times in the focus. First I added just a sub but I noticed there was too much bass for the stock system and it didn't sound good.

Next I went with a little amp and some cheap 6"x8" speakers and it sounded better but not as good as my last system.

My last system was top of the line JL Audio stuff and anyone on this board that heard it will tell you it sounded awesome. The only problem with this system was it wasn't cheap and I had barely any hatch anymore.

If you just want a pretty good sounding system then you'll need the following:

- Deck
- Two upgraded 6.5" round or 6"x8" speakers for the front doors
- 10" Sub
- one 2 channel amp to power the front speakers
- one mono chanel amp to power the sub.
- all wiring

There are tons of people selling used audio on this board. Either look through their stuff or look http://www.canadiancaraudio.com for some sweet deals.

If you have any more specific questions just ask on here.
Thanks...

Couple questions...

Why not replace the rear speakers?
A new deck cant power the new fronts without an amp?
the new deck will power the new speakers fine, in march im going to hopefully get my new speakers (kicker) not to sure which models yet..have to see how much funds i have at the time
Interior
Jvc headunit, , Kicker Zx 1000.1, 2 12" Kicker comp VR, Diamond plate floor mats

Power mods
FRPP spark plug wires, Volant CAI
Hows this look for budget. Not like i like futureslop but its good for looking stuff up.

JVC KD-G320 deck MP3 etc, 50Wx4 99.99
Rockford Fosgate P1683C 6" x 8" Triaxial Speakers 129.99
Rockford Fosgate P210S4 Sub 10" 4ohm 200/400w 99.99
Rockford Fosgate P200 amp 169.99

so 490 plus tax, plus wiring, plus sub box.

THis is for new... if someone wants to sell me a sub and amp suitable for my car feel free to pm me.
scotiacustom,Feb 20 2007, 04:20 AM Wrote:Hows this look for budget.  Not like i like futureslop but its good for looking stuff up.

THis is for new... if someone wants to sell me a sub and amp suitable for my car feel free to pm me.
[right][snapback]227471[/snapback][/right]

Your system is only as good as your deck.

I'd personally pony up a few more clams for your deck.

Get something a little better.

Just my opinion.
ANTHONYD,Feb 20 2007, 02:38 PM Wrote:
scotiacustom,Feb 20 2007, 04:20 AM Wrote:Hows this look for budget.  Not like i like futureslop but its good for looking stuff up.

Your system is only as good as your deck.

I'd personally pony up a few more clams for your deck.

Get something a little better.

Just my opinion.
[right][snapback]227507[/snapback][/right]

Ok no problem... I can spend a bit more. The other components will suffice? I sent an email to mach5 as well.

Im so far behind on this technology. What should i be looking for in features or is it a case of more $ = better quality. Which as you know is not always the case.

The last time I was looking at stereos for cars there were no cds lol.
no no no! that cash can go towards suspension upgrades!!!lol jokes...

I got a set of memphis 6X8's in the front doors,,, and a clarion deck with stock rears... sounds good.. nothing over bearing wel balanced.. simple... if you do get a sub,,, make it light!!! and positon it near the center of the car.... just off to the pasenger side to make up for your 250 lb lean to the drivers side :D ,,,

god i'm a freak...
[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!
ZED_not_zee,Feb 20 2007, 08:27 PM Wrote:no no no!  that cash can go towards suspension upgrades!!!lol jokes...

I got a set of memphis 6X8's in the front doors,,, and a clarion deck  with stock rears...  sounds good.. nothing over bearing wel balanced.. simple... if you do get a sub,,,  make it light!!!  and positon it near the center of the car....  just off to the pasenger side to make up for your 250 lb lean to the drivers side :D ,,,

god i'm a freak...
[right][snapback]227570[/snapback][/right]

Oh is that why the car pulls slightly to the left :lol:
scotiacustom,Feb 20 2007, 03:20 AM Wrote:Hows this look for budget.  Not like i like futureslop but its good for looking stuff up.

that all sounds alright to start with..but for an amp to power your sub with, go with a one channel amp and leave the 2 channel to power your fronts.. or get a 4 and power your front and rears if your thinking about gettin 2 sets of 6x8
Interior
Jvc headunit, , Kicker Zx 1000.1, 2 12" Kicker comp VR, Diamond plate floor mats

Power mods
FRPP spark plug wires, Volant CAI
I need the 2 amps? The deck cant power a 60w speaker if supposedly puts out 50w?
scotiacustom,Feb 20 2007, 01:55 AM Wrote:Thanks...

Couple questions...

Why not replace the rear speakers?
A new deck cant power the new fronts without an amp?
[right][snapback]227468[/snapback][/right]

The rear speakers are useless for contributing to sound quality because you sit in the front. You can save yourself money here because you won't hear a difference if you change the rear speakers. It also messes up what the pros call you soundstage. Hearing sound coming from behind you destorts your perception.

Decks claim to have 50W of power, but in car audio there are two types of watts:

Maximum --> Useless measurement
RMS --> what the wattage actually is being put out

RMS is the rating you use all the time to figure out exactly how much power is being put out. The same deck that advertises 50W per channel is actually putting out somewhere around 12W/channel. Also if you try to use the deck to it's full potential it starts to distort and the sound is unclear. If you use an amplifier then you don't need to stress the deck out as much and it will still be loud but also clear. What I would do is run the front two door speakers off a 2 channel amp and the rear stock speakers off of your deck.

BY THE WAY IF YOU WANT I HAVE A BUNCH OF RCA WIRES LEFT OVER FROM MY SYSTEMS THAT I WILL SELL YOU CHEAP!
Hah, well i just called the supposed experts here in town. They say i dont need a 2 channel amp with 60 w door speakers using the pioneer deh-4800mp...

hehe.

sigh
scotiacustom,Feb 22 2007, 06:11 AM Wrote:Hah, well i just called the supposed experts here in town.  They say i dont need a 2 channel amp with 60 w door speakers using the pioneer deh-4800mp...

hehe.

sigh
[right][snapback]227662[/snapback][/right]

Then they're not experts. 99.9999999% of all blown speakers are underpowered, trying to use the deck. If you want GOOD sound power both the front and subwoofer with an amplifier. If you're on a budget, make sure to get a deck with high-pass crossovers so you can eliminate the bass to the door speakers, they'll sound better and handle a little more. When you get the money, get an amp for them and they'll really rock.

Wattage ratings on speakers are a joke. Don't base your choices on that, listen to the speakers BEFORE you buy them.

Stay away from Rockford, it used to be good but it's gone so far downhill it's scary.
Well I bought a deck and door speakers today. I was told this was a good deck. The Kenwood MP235, its new for this year i guess. But after researching it on ebay i could have bought it there for 90 dollars usd??

The door speakers are going to be Fusion 572s.

Im starting to dislike this shopping for gear lol. I feel ripped by the shop. I paid 199.99 for the deck. The doors are 125.00.

It looks to me i could buy everything i need for near the same price as what the deck, speakers and install cost me today. Heh sigh. Im wondering if factory will have to be it. Laugh
Heres what i asked the guys on canadiancaraudio.com

Quote:So off i go to the shop. Highland came highly recommended. He set me up with a Kenwood MP235 (new this year) and Fusion 572 speakers for the doors. The harness and dash insert. This came to 450.00 tax in, installed. He also told me not to bother with the amp for the doors cause i wont need for my purposes. Im ok with that i guess. I did tell him I was on a budget.

Heres my dilemma, I got searching on the net... I found that deck for like no more than a 100USD avg price and as low as 80CAD. I found the speakers for like from 60 to 100CAD. This is all internet pricing and does not include shipping or potential taxes and dutys.

I have no problem with markups. I guess im just really uneducated. Am i overreacting?? Should i get a refund (i paid for the stuff but no install till monday.

Any advice?
scotiacustom,Feb 23 2007, 10:53 AM Wrote:Heres what i asked the guys on canadiancaraudio.com

Quote:So off i go to the shop. Highland came highly recommended. He set me up with a Kenwood MP235 (new this year) and Fusion 572 speakers for the doors. The harness and dash insert. This came to 450.00 tax in, installed. He also told me not to bother with the amp for the doors cause i wont need for my purposes. Im ok with that i guess. I did tell him I was on a budget.

Heres my dilemma, I got searching on the net... I found that deck for like no more than a 100USD avg price and as low as 80CAD. I found the speakers for like from 60 to 100CAD. This is all internet pricing and does not include shipping or potential taxes and dutys.

I have no problem with markups. I guess im just really uneducated. Am i overreacting?? Should i get a refund (i paid for the stuff but no install till monday.

Any advice?
[right][snapback]227849[/snapback][/right]

I have so many customers buying stuff online only to find out the deck is used or parts are missing. They have a problem and they must pay shipping to get it back, then 3 months for warranty and so on. It's always your call but buyer beware. Ebay is a joke! basing the price on that, most of it's been in somebodies car before.

When you buy online, where do you go for help and advice? I sell a customer and he wants to do the install himself I'll help him as much as I can for free, he buys online I charge $60.00 p/h for advice.

Typical install $100 labour, $20 for the kit and $15 for the harness.
Hey guys, thanks alot for all the replies. After listening to you guys, canadiancaraudio and a couple other sources your right. I am over reacting and Highland will get the business. The extra money is worth the tech support and education they have all ready given me. Thanks again and ill post some pics when its done with a report on the fusion gear.

Just for an FYI my invoice is like this,

199.00 for the Kenwood MP235 (new this year, and this includes the install price)
18.95 for the harness (includes the soldering etc)
21.95 for the dash insert
125.00 for the Fusion 5x7 572 model. 15 per door to install 155.00

He also quoted me 484 for an amp, 10"sub (around 300w) and a good quality box. This is an installed price including all wiring and required labour.

All Fusion products for 07.
Heres what i settle on and paid for. Ill update after its installed... cant wait for 8am monday im the first one in the bay!!!

Kenwood KDC-MP435U Headunit
Fusion PP-FR572 5x7s PowerPlants for the front doors
Fusion EN-SW12HD Sub
Fusion EN-AM8001 Mono Amp
Fusion Box to match Sub

Installed, wired, warranty, etc. 950.00
Sounds alright...A friend of mine up here in Pet has a Focus ZX3 that he started building up with all Fusion stuff too. Sounded ok for what he paid for it.

My last setup when I had the Focus:

JVC AR5000 Touchscreen HU
PowerAcoustik 5x7" PR series front and rear
PowerAcoustik 10" BL10 Subs (x2)
PowerAcoustik LT620 2ch amp
PowerAcoustik 1.4 Farad Capacitor

Ran the 5x7's off the deck (which was loud enough for me actually)
Drove the 10's off the amp in 2 ohms stereo, and had them in a sealed box, etc etc.

For now, the truck has PowerAcoustik 6x9's in the doors, driven off a PowerAcoustik Gothic 2 ch amp, PowerAcoustik wiring kit, and A Ken Harrison HU being sourced by an mp3 player.

Stang is rockin' the stock Shaker 500...

Let us know how your new setup goes...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...