Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Qatar Or Not To Qatar!
Well, I got a phone call from my HR department this morning asking me if I was interested in Facility management position in Doha, Qatar. The salary is near 6 figures in US tax free dollars and I get accommodations and vehicle to use during my stay. The package sounds very tempting, but here is my dilemma.

For those of you know me, I just got married this summer and we are going to be having kids soon. So I can’t just leave my wife behind. Also we bought our house and cars and bunch of other things that we have to deal with. Also both of our families are both here.

I also don’t believe Qatar is a place for women, I know Kelly will be bored out of her mind if she comes with me. Women don’t have many rights in Qatar, considering it’s a Muslim country.

But on the other hand, 6 figures man!!!! What should I do? I have to give them my answer on Monday.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Dude, it's a hell of a choice, but personally, I wouldn't go. Reason I say that is this. You obviously love your wife very much, and would see her suffer the boredom you talk about. No money is worth that suffering. I would not take my baby anywhere that she would be that bored, unless is is very short term, and very worth it. Yes, six figures is a nice thought....but the love for the lady is worth more......

Just my 2c.

Scorp.

^^ Seconded. Money isn't everything. If you're comfortable now... all that extra cash will just buy you trouble down the road.

Thinking of your wife first... that's the ticket. She'll be with you a lot longer than any job if you treat her right.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Its only money. It ain't worth it IMO. Stay in Canada.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Amen, your family is worth more than all the money they can give you IMO.

NefCanuck
Stay here. Family comes first. Usually, the more money we get, the more trouble we get into with it.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
I'd go. Not for the $$$$$$(okay, the money I would go for) but for the adventure of it all.
And hell, if your wife wants to go, then let her make her own decision. She wants to go? Then go and enjoy.
With that $$$ you can afford to visit the family several times a year.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
A happy wife is a happy marriage.
IMO, I don't think you have put much thought into going mo. Mainly yeah it's good money, but the fact you have not put much thought or time into really looking into the country itself. Most musilum countrys don't have strick rules or any for that matter for outsider western wemen, and most modernized ilsamic countrys like the UAE are very friendly to people from western countrys unlike places like Iran.

Other then that have you also looked into what this company is offering you to go, ie. moving costs, housing, free travel for your extened family to visit. etc...

Not to mention this but if your working there for a month you could pay off a lot of what you own here if your wife stays in Canada. I really think you should ask yourself these questions, and then your wife.

Is this job offere a year long contract?
Are you able to take it and if your not happy can you leave the job in a months time?
what offeres is the company offereing your in terms of travel of your family?
Have you found out where you'll be living?
Will people know that your Canadian & Not American when your there?
Can you adjust to living in an arrid country?
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Thanks for all the comments guys. We sat down last night and had a long talk in regards to this. For the moment I decided not to take the position. Hopefully they won't make me another offer that I cant refuse.

Regards Mo
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold

Glad to hear your descision Mo. By the way, I've only heard of Qatar recently, not that I've heard anything bad, but after hearing its a Muslum country, will that have any impact on you too? do they have places of worship for non-muslims over there as well? etc.. is it a nice place to live over all?
My other ride is your Mom
Well there is always places that you can go and have fun, ie. hotels and stuff like that. These places will allow alchol on premises.

As for being a muslim country, i never trusted any of the muslim countries. To me they seem to be very unstable and honestly i can't take a risk.

While I was in Bosnia i was offered a position in Afganistan to look after the canadian military camps, but I said no. It would of been about 120K CDN salary, but i just didnt care about the money when it came to Afganistan.

I know Qatar is lot safer then Afganistan, but considering Iran is only on the other side of Persian Gulf, i would be sort of heistant to move to there.
--Henry Ford

01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold

if it was in Dubai, and in the same position I'd seriously consider it. There are a ton of foreigners there, they outnumber people born there 8 to 1, and has lots to offer there. Qatar i'd say no to.
'03 Focus SVT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Move To Qatar mo_focus 7 2,611 02-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Flofocus