Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Box
Can't remove the top of the air box due to a couple of screws that refuse to un-thread from round nuts or whatever they are called. They seem to just want to turn together and I can't get vice-grips on in because its round and there is no space to get the grips in so my question is there a way to remove the entire assembly or am I pretty much funked?
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
SmokeBCBuDZ,Dec 25 2006, 10:37 PM Wrote:Can't remove the top of the air box due to a couple of screws that refuse to un-thread from round nuts or whatever they are called. They seem to just want to turn together and I can't get vice-grips on in because its round and there is no space to get the grips in so my question is there a way to remove the entire assembly or am I pretty much funked?
[right][snapback]221565[/snapback][/right]

Yeah take the whole box out, its a snap on and its got 3 connectors at the bottom that snaps out. Just make sure you disconect the wire and the plastic piping.

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Thanks, I think im just going to replace the whole thing with a cold air intake.
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
I had the same problem, I knew it was over but the air filter was still good so I took a crowbar to it and bam opened her right up.(I was at my last resort, damn things just didn't want to screw) Kept the filter for my GF and got myself a FS intake. I like having excuses to buy new and better parts. lol.
I actually cut the plastic surrounds around the round nuts with a utility knife enough so I could get small vice grips in there. They've spun on me numerous times now, so the little work to trim it originally was worth while to get the vice grips in as needed.

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
i think there is a tool you can get at home depot you can use to fix this problem.. this happened to one of my friends and he spoke to the tools department and they gave him something that worked like a charm
Life's good... Hockey's better