Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cel
Ok So my Check engine light came on tonight when i was driving home, and i have no idea why, i did that whole hold your trip meter down to see what DTC codes are what and it says none.

Its running fine, i checked my gas cap and all that stuff because i know it can trip the check engine light.

But the weather was really bad today in ottawa, could if have something to do with the freezing rain? could something have been knocked loose underneath perhaps?
But if something was knocked loose would it be running like normal?

It just came on all of the sudden and i don't know why?
Could have been a hiccup in the vaccum system..maybe a particle in the gas filter causing a burp, bad batch of gas.... or even a wacky electrical mishap.

If it's not throwing any codes, I wouldn;t worry about it.

*Im drunk*
That whole hold my trip meter down and cycling through the features in my digital dash, that would give me the right codes right?

And since its not giving me any codes how do i get the light to turn off? it stays on everytime i start the car?
The codes you see on the gauge cluster using the odo trick are NOT codes for powertrain/PCM, which is what turns on the check engine light. The gauge codes are related to issues with the gauge cluster only.

The only way to read the codes associated with the check engine light is with a code reader connected to the Data Link Connector (I think that's the name).
Old Ride: 2001 Malibu Blue MTX Street Edition Wagon
New Ride: 2010 Mocha Brown MT 2.0T Passat Wagon
You need a OBD-II code reader to check the CEL codes.

Mine came on about a year ago, and all it was that the gas cap seal was gone and i needed a new gas cap.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Can you buy those code readers? or do you have to take it too a shop to have it read?

Ok so i guess you can buy the readers at Canadian tire, they have one on sale, no big deal, so how do i go about hooking it up to my car? is it complicated? would i be better off taking it to the shop, or would it be easier to buy the equipment myself?
focuspilot23,Dec 1 2006, 09:09 PM Wrote:Ok so i guess you can buy the readers at Canadian tire, they have one on sale, no big deal, so how do i go about hooking it up to my car? is it complicated? would i be better off taking it to the shop, or would it be easier to buy the equipment myself?
[right][snapback]218322[/snapback][/right]

It plugs in like your monitor cable does in the back of your computer. The OBDII port on the focus is located on the lower half of the dash to the left of the steering wheel behind the little trap door below the bigger trap door for the fuse panel. It takes about 30 seconds to read a code.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
I don't know anything about the Focus ECU. I know a little about Chevy units. If they are similar, then disconecting the battery should dump all stored codes in the ECU and the Check Engine light will go off. If it stays off then I wouldn't worry about it. If it comes back on after disconnecting the battery, then you need to read the codes and take the appropriate action. Sometimes it is just a fluke.
Fader
2002 ZX5
MBRP Cat Back - K&N Typhon - KYB/AGX Shocks and Struts -Vogtland Springs, 1.5 inch drop - Primax 772's - Toyo TPT 205/50R16's - Nextar Navigation
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
So i got a Code reader, and its throwing "P0125 Insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop fuel control"

Could that be my thermostat? the car won't really get up to full operating temperature, i drive it from kemptville to ottawa everyday, so it has plenty of time to get to full operating temp, it usually hovers around a quarter of the gauge.

So i'm not sure what else that code could mean?
Definitely sounds like a bad thermostat. Stuck open by the sounds of it.
Old Ride: 2001 Malibu Blue MTX Street Edition Wagon
New Ride: 2010 Mocha Brown MT 2.0T Passat Wagon