Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Cooling
So after my winter maintenance package ( oil change , multipoint inspection, brake inspection ) at the dealer...a week or so later, I noticed a puddle on my driveway...sure enough its coolant. I'm pretty sure its coming from the thermostat housing.

I've read on the previous threads that the focus is notorious for these cheap plasting thermostat housing. I've also read that we could use a thermostat housing taken from a Contour with 2.0L ZETEC (metal housing)? I've read of only one person doing this. Anywone else done this?

Does an aftermarket part better that the stock even exist out there?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2002 ZX5 - Liquid Grey Stock [commuter car 100kms a day]
206,000km Automatic transmission
yes people do put thermostats of Contours , they are better quality...when i got my focus mine also broke down but at that time i dind't know what was broken and how to fix it, so yea i ended up putting my car to my buddy's shop for a day

it is an easy job to do if u got the right tools so just go to the junk yard and pick one thermostat up and do it at home....just make sure to put the tube that connects to it up(clamp it or something) so it doesn't leak all the coolant on you're driveway

(if you will do it yourself, take some photos)

good luck
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
NikiterZTS,Nov 28 2006, 08:52 PM Wrote:yes people do put thermostats of Contours , they are better quality...when i got my focus mine also broke down but at that time i dind't know what was broken and how to fix it, so yea i ended up putting my car to my buddy's shop for a day

it is an easy job to do if u got the right tools so just go to the junk yard and pick one thermostat up and do it at home....just make sure to put the tube that connects to it up(clamp it or something) so it doesn't leak all the coolant on you're driveway

(if you will do it yourself, take some photos)

good luck
[right][snapback]217791[/snapback][/right]

Well I couldn't wait to find a contour thermostat housing so I ended up buying one from the dealer. 80 bucks - Housing and new thermostat. I also bought a thermostat gasket and thermostat seal just incase that was the source of the leak.

So I tackeled it last night at 9:30pm and it took me awhile only because I took off many parts to get access to hoses. Took off the the battery too. I fought with the clamps too...too tight to get to.

I was hoping that it was just a faulty seal....but....Sure enough the plastic round part of the housing that connects to side of the engine block was cracked -actually missing a piece. Wonder were that piece went? Oh well

Anyways I finally got it in. I took a picture of the old and new thermostat housing.

All I can say is that I feel good that I actually did this myself. Gaining more confidence and knowledge and having fun at the same time.

I guess I'll try to find a metal thermostat housing for the contour in my spare time when I have to replace the thing again..hopefully that won't be for another 140,000ks.

Ill upload it tonight when I got home or as soon as I find the stinking battery charger for my camera.

2002 ZX5 - Liquid Grey Stock [commuter car 100kms a day]
206,000km Automatic transmission
yea mine broke down at 150k

and yep the peice inside always breaks down

u shouldn't worry at least for a gooooooood while to replace that thing again

start modding!!!
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike