Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gm To Drop Minivans
GM to Drop Minivans
The Daily Auto Insider
Monday, November 27, 2006
November 2006

General Motors has scrapped plans to build new minivan models originally scheduled to debut as early as 2009 under Chevrolet, Saturn and other nameplates, The Detroit News reported.

Although GM declined to comment, company insiders told The Detroit News that the company has no immediate plans to build minivans after it closes its last minivan-producing plant.

The Doraville, Ga., plant builds the slow-selling Chevrolet Uplander and Buick Terraza minivans and recently stopped producing the Saturn Relay.

Instead, GM will focus on crossover vehicles and is preparing to launch a group of large crossovers that include the GMC Acadia, the Saturn Outlook and the Buick Enclave.

GM's minivan sales have fallen nearly 50 percent since 2000. In 2005, GM sold 166,000 minivans compared with 323,000 in 2000. Sales industrywide have dropped about 20 percent in that time.

"We do believe it is a declining segment," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told The News. "Our new crossovers, Acadia, Outlook and Enclave with their three rows of seats and economical V-6 engines, can meet the same customer needs, minus the 'Soccer Mom' stigma."

I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Oh, I read that as "The Fast and The Furious - Minivan Drift". Here I was expecting GM to say they can squeeze out 3-4 MPG more by lowering those lumbering buildings. :D :rofl:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Y'know the irony here is just delicious. DCX started the segment back in 1984 and will be the last domestic manufacturer in the segment (Declining segment my ass, if it was the Japanese would have already bailed... they don't stay on sinking ships)

NefCanuck
Following the Ford way are we?
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded