Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Dash Question
Does anybody know if there is a way to switch the digital portion of 2002 Focus from Kilometers to Miles?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Fader
2002 ZX5
MBRP Cat Back - K&N Typhon - KYB/AGX Shocks and Struts -Vogtland Springs, 1.5 inch drop - Primax 772's - Toyo TPT 205/50R16's - Nextar Navigation
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
A fast and easy way is to buy a new cluster from ebay.
I believe that one of the modes for the digital test mode is MPH and one is KPH.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
just for testing purposes or you want something permanent?

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

You mean changing the odometer to display miles? Legally I don't think you can do that.. I know when you try to safety a car from the US they have to change the odometer to read KM, or at the very least have a permanent marking stating the odometer displays miles. Otherwise you'd have people trying to sell cars with low "kilometers" when it's actually displaying miles.
guilty,Nov 27 2006, 05:30 PM Wrote:You mean changing the odometer to display miles?  Legally I don't think you can do that.. I know when you try to safety a car from the US they have to change the odometer to read KM, or at the very least have a permanent marking stating the odometer displays miles.  Otherwise you'd have people trying to sell cars with low "kilometers" when it's actually displaying miles.
[right][snapback]217659[/snapback][/right]

I had an 89 Corvette with a (fully) digital dash. By pressing a button you could switch the read outs between English and Metric. Giving you a choice of Miles or K's displayed. Since I used the car both here and in the states it was very handy.
Since the focus has a digital read out I suspect there may be a code sequence (like the things you can do to disable belt alarms etc) that would toggle the display between English and Metric.

Just thought I would ask and see if anybody knew.
Fader
2002 ZX5
MBRP Cat Back - K&N Typhon - KYB/AGX Shocks and Struts -Vogtland Springs, 1.5 inch drop - Primax 772's - Toyo TPT 205/50R16's - Nextar Navigation
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
In case you overlooked it. It's not a Vette. :lol:
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Nov 27 2006, 06:49 PM Wrote:In case you overlooked it. It's not a Vette. :lol:
[right][snapback]217673[/snapback][/right]

But it is almost as fun.
Fader
2002 ZX5
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.
Instrument Cluster Test Mode

How To Do It!
1) Insert Key (do not turn it)
2) Press and hold the Trip-Meter Reset Button
3) While holding the reset button, start your car and continue holding the button.
4) Within 10 seconds, the display should change to "test" (written in a silly LCD font) and the needles will go nuts. No biggie. Release the Button.
5) Pressing the button will now cycle through some 15 different modes.

It's worth me mentioning that this diagnostic mode is no substitute for taking your car in for service. Many codes found in this mode mean absolutely nothing without other, expensive test equipment at the dealership.

Breakdown of some of the functions:
1 Press - Shows a Gauge Sweep
2 Presses - shows all 8's on the LCD (LCD TEST)
3 Presses - illuminates all the bulbs on the dash
4 Presses - displays hexadecimal value for ROM level
5 Presses - Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level
6 Presses - Shows DTC Troubleshooting Codes (Nothing to worry about though)
7 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - MPH
8 Presses - DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER - KPH
10 Presses - DIGITAL TACHOMETER

Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
But keep in mind, it will reset your trip odo!
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
guilty,Nov 27 2006, 05:30 PM Wrote:You mean changing the odometer to display miles?  Legally I don't think you can do that.. I know when you try to safety a car from the US they have to change the odometer to read KM....[right][snapback]217659[/snapback][/right]

I had a couple of freinds buy a sti and rx8 from the states and they had to do no such thing.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Fader,Nov 27 2006, 04:43 PM Wrote:I had an 89 Corvette with a (fully) digital dash.  By pressing a button you could switch the read outs between English and Metric. Giving you a choice of Miles or K's displayed.  [right][snapback]217672[/snapback][/right]

So are you talking about changing the odometer or using the digital speedometer reading? If it's just the speedometer you're wanting to use then just follow the directions posted, only you have to do it every time you start the car.
Flofocus,Nov 28 2006, 12:51 PM Wrote:
guilty,Nov 27 2006, 05:30 PM Wrote:You mean changing the odometer to display miles?  Legally I don't think you can do that.. I know when you try to safety a car from the US they have to change the odometer to read KM....[right][snapback]217659[/snapback][/right]

I had a couple of freinds buy a sti and rx8 from the states and they had to do no such thing.
[right][snapback]217774[/snapback][/right]

X2 - I have a buddy with one of only 3 STis in North Bay (the only US-spec of the three) and he didn't have to change a thing.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Quote:So are you talking about changing the odometer or using the digital speedometer reading?  If it's just the speedometer you're wanting to use then just follow the directions posted, only you have to do it every time you start the car.
[right][snapback]217803[/snapback][/right]
Yes it it the odometer reading I wish to change....not the speedo.
It is convienent when traveling in the states and there is some possibility we will be moving down there (Florida).
Fader
2002 ZX5
Friends call me Fader.
G.F.T.L.S.T.R.