Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toronto To Install 250 "countdown" Signals
Toronto to install 250 "countdown" signals for pedestrians
November 21, 2006

Toronto, Ontario - The City of Toronto is installing "countdown" signals at more than 250 intersections to assist pedestrians in crossing the street. The devices provide a numeric countdown display that indicates the number of seconds remaining until the current "walk" signal changes to a "don't walk" signal. The signals have been shown in other jurisdictions to reduce pedestrian injuries.

Transportation Services has installed the first two at Dundas St. W. and Bay St., and at Front St. W. and John St. The rest of the 250 intersections will be equipped over the next two months. To reduce costs, the new display units will be installed where the city is already replacing incandescent pedestrian displays with LED. Eventually all pedestrian signals will be replaced, with about 1,500 converted over the next four to five years, and the remaining 500 completed when the current LED displays need to be replaced.

I'll be the first to comment on this, mainly because citys like Brampton and Mississagua have had these countdown signels for years.... getting closer to something like 15...? I really have to say Toronto is behind the curve on getting these.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
No kidding, when Hamilton has them before Toronto, that tells you something.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

This is an improvement over Toronto 's "whistle alarms" that are found downtown at some of the larger intersections (Think University & Queen) though I hope a numeric countdown allows enough time for pedestrians to get across...

Hell, the current system only lets me cross in two stages at the largest intersections <_<

NefCanuck
Nef... I think the 'whistle alarm' is for blind people...

That's great that these are being installed more and more. People are either paranoid or gutsy, so this should help everyone out. :lol:
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
That whistle is to call the seeing eye dogs across the street.

:lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
lets hope they put one at yonge and bloor :blink:
yeah we got them here in Vaughan and they had them in Bramton.

Once staff sergant asked me how i feel about them, I told him they are the best thing

"they give you the count down before u can start racing" something like the tree at the track.

you should of seen his face :)
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

^^ :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
pff this is a waste, the old people dont pay attention to the signs anyways, they just cross whenever they feel. You always see them stuck on the island looking for the next empty spot to cross.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Nov 21 2006, 02: Wrote:pff this is a waste, the old people dont pay attention to the signs anyways, they just cross whenever they feel. You always see them stuck on the island looking for the next empty spot to cross.
[right][snapback]216913[/snapback][/right]

That might be true for some of 'em but there are those of us that can't move all that fast y'know... Not to say I'm old, mind, just a wee bit beaten up (When the car is in better condition and health than I am :rolleyes: )

NefCanuck
I guess they, just like the rest of traffic control devices, are great for the folks that pay attention to them and to the laws... and useless for those who flat-out ignore them.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NefCanuck,Nov 21 2006, 04:08 PM Wrote:
D-Dub,Nov 21 2006, 02: Wrote:pff this is a waste, the old people dont pay attention to the signs anyways, they just cross whenever they feel. You always see them stuck on the island looking for the next empty spot to cross.
[right][snapback]216913[/snapback][/right]

That might be true for some of 'em but there are those of us that can't move all that fast y'know... Not to say I'm old, mind, just a wee bit beaten up (When the car is in better condition and health than I am :rolleyes: )

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]216919[/snapback][/right]

Yeah understandable, but do you follow the signs we have right now?. If you do then you dont really need a count down. Im not making fun of you its just I know if the hand is flashing and I havent entered the crosswalk, then that means I should wait for the next chance to cross.............who knows soon the're gonna make us wear helmets and fine us if we dont.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Nov 21 2006, 07: Wrote:Yeah understandable, but do you follow the signs we have right now?. If you do then you dont really need a count down. Im not making fun of you its just I know if the hand is flashing and I havent entered the crosswalk, then that means I should wait for the next chance to cross.............who knows soon the're gonna make us wear helmets and fine us if we dont.
[right][snapback]216952[/snapback][/right]

I do obey them, but that's only because I can't make a dive outta the way if I screw up :D

Sadly some people need to be protected from themselves like that -sigh-

NefCanuck
Not only are they for racing. I use them to let me know in advance of a yellow light. When you're rolling down the road weighing 37,000kgs a little extra notice of a yellow light is handy.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
bluetoy,Nov 22 2006, 08:17 AM Wrote:Not only are they for racing. I use them to let me know in advance of a yellow light. When you're rolling down the road weighing 37,000kgs a little extra notice of a yellow light is handy.
[right][snapback]217007[/snapback][/right]

I would love it if the lights meant that people would have no reason to block an intersection on a red, but I doubt that'll be the case.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Geezzz... Lennoxville Quebec had a countdown in '97 when I went to university there... Then again, drunken Bishop's students need ALL the warning they can get... :lol:

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
The reason that Toronto hasn't changed them all is because when they bought the EXISTING signals, they did a case study on how long they'll last, and aim for that time period before replacing them. Because when Toronto buys equipment it buys 25x the amount everyone else does.

You would be amazed at the price of these things -- traffic light equipment is BIG dollars. I've installed Federal Signal traffic lights at the plant, the RAG fixture alone is like $300 each. So an intersection in Toronto can have 8 fixtures ($2400) plus 8 walk/don't walks ($4000).

Not including the poles ($500-$1500 ea) and installation.

So you can see why a municipality as big as TO would wait until it's time to replace them before they upgrade. The taxpayers would be screaming blue murder.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Meh and Yonge n Dundas, no body pays attention to the crossing signals anyways. Wonder if that intersection will get them, or even Yonge n Queen is pretty bad too.
My other ride is your Mom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Got A Ticket: "park Vehicle For Sale" andrewned 20 4,033 09-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Last Post: andrewned
  Police Warn About "chasers" At Crash Scenes Frost__2001 4 1,670 12-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Mike
  2005 Gfx "street Kit" For Sale STORMPULSE 2 1,652 02-07-2006, 04:20 AM
Last Post: Flofocus