Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meford, What's The Scoop
bluetoy,Nov 16 2006, 05:00 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Nov 16 2006, 05:19 PM Wrote:And to answe Steve, there is a higher quality rating on a Lincoln.  More precise door gap measurements, more quality control, more inspection in paint and everywhere else.  But because there is a Lincoln product in our plant now, that same quality standard falls over into the Ford product.
The Freestar/Windstar never had these quality assurances.
[right][snapback]216293[/snapback][/right]

Maybe they should up the standards at all plants like that. Ever look at the door gaps, fit and finish of a toyota corolla. Usually it's better than a lincoln even though the car is full of less quality trim etc.

This cannot be a bad thing. Better to keep them at the plant then have a whole bunch of bad publicity and yet another disasterous launch (Focus)
[right][snapback]216300[/snapback][/right]
It's funny you say this. They introduced this new standard to us when the Freestar was still being built. What a difference.

BTW we are currently not building the Freestar. I think we are going to start again in Jan.-march and then it's dead.

I've driven 3 of the vehicles now. My wife wants one and I quite like them. Very nice.

I hope alot of customers feel the same way.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Nov 16 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:It's funny you say this.  They introduced this new standard to us when the Freestar was still being built.  What a difference.

BTW we are currently not building the Freestar.  I think we are going to start again in Jan.-march and then it's dead.

I've driven 3 of the vehicles now.  My wife wants one and I quite like them.  Very nice.

[right][snapback]216306[/snapback][/right]

I can't believe they're gonna make more freestars. They sre the most uncomfortable minivan I have ever been in. Like sitting on a milk crate.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
darkpuppet,Nov 16 2006, 06:15 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Nov 16 2006, 06:03 PM Wrote:The trim and materials has nothing to do with the build quality. I wasn't talking about using leather instead of vinyl. I thought that was clear. The issues with these things have nothing to do with using hard plastic versus soft plastic...
[right][snapback]216301[/snapback][/right]

Two months into new mustang ownership, I'd say the plastics make a difference.
:(
[right][snapback]216303[/snapback][/right]

I agree cheaper plastics are...well cheaper. Unfortunately they don't have anything to do with build quality. You can still build a crappy car with high quality leather if you throw it together like a lada.

Prolly Is not a word
bluetoy,Nov 16 2006, 07:09 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Nov 16 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:It's funny you say this.  They introduced this new standard to us when the Freestar was still being built.  What a difference.

BTW we are currently not building the Freestar.  I think we are going to start again in Jan.-march and then it's dead.

I've driven 3 of the vehicles now.  My wife wants one and I quite like them.  Very nice.

[right][snapback]216306[/snapback][/right]

I can't believe they're gonna make more freestars. They sre the most uncomfortable minivan I have ever been in. Like sitting on a milk crate.
[right][snapback]216320[/snapback][/right]
And I agree. Have you sat in the upgraded SEL model with the leather seats? It's a little better.
When Ford changed the supplier of the seats to save a buck, they cancelled Lear's contract. They were a nice seat.
I don't know who supplies the new seat but they suck.

meford4u,Nov 16 2006, 08:35 PM Wrote:And I agree.  Have you sat in the upgraded SEL model with the leather seats?  It's a little better.
When Ford changed the supplier of the seats to save a buck, they cancelled Lear's contract.  They were a nice seat.
[right][snapback]216324[/snapback][/right]

I've noticed that the seats in the F-150's are also horrible. Not to mention they look funny with the big square back. Why do they all have to be so hard.

Prolly Is not a word
bluetoy,Nov 16 2006, 07:59 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Nov 16 2006, 08:35 PM Wrote:And I agree.  Have you sat in the upgraded SEL model with the leather seats?  It's a little better.
When Ford changed the supplier of the seats to save a buck, they cancelled Lear's contract.  They were a nice seat.
I've noticed that the seats in the F-150's are also horrible. Not to mention they look funny with the big square back. Why do they all have to be so hard.
[right][snapback]216328[/snapback][/right]

i cant stand the seats in my friends F-150, i never feel "comfortable" in them, maybe cause its a truck, but i jsut dont like how they feel
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
bluetoy,Nov 16 2006, 07:59 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]216328[/snapback][/right]
Same supplier as the Freestar. The Fusion has Lear seats. Much better.
And I am not thrilled with the comfort level of the seats in my truck, but they are Lear seats. The new trucks.........not so comfortable.

Then again, I didn't buy my truck for comfort.

I'm sorry, but the paint jobs on ALL Ford Products has been far from spectacular. Look at a lincoln MKZ or Ford Mustang Gt....whole lotta "orange-peel" that you need to compund or wax out... (had to do this with my car, and now the paint, besides signs of age, looks smoother/nicer than when it was a newer car).

I agree that the Lincolns are supposed to have a higher standard than the regular cars...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
bluetoy,Nov 16 2006, 07:09 PM Wrote:I can't believe they're gonna make more freestars. They sre the most uncomfortable minivan I have ever been in. Like sitting on a milk crate.
[right][snapback]216320[/snapback][/right]

Geez, I must have a numb butt because I've never had issue with the Freestar's seats (As a passenger mind) now I'm going back in time here but the Aerostar's seats, those things were milk crates in cheap fabric clothing :ph34r:

NefCanuck
Drivesthebeast,Nov 16 2006, 09:00 PM Wrote:I'm sorry, but the paint jobs on ALL Ford Products has been far from spectacular.  Look at a lincoln MKZ or Ford Mustang Gt....whole lotta "orange-peel" that you need to compund or wax out... (had to do this with my car, and now the paint, besides signs of age, looks smoother/nicer than when it was a newer car).

I agree that the Lincolns are supposed to have a higher standard than the regular cars...
[right][snapback]216339[/snapback][/right]
almost all cars have orange peel. It's part of the paint process. Until you wet sand the car to smooth it, it's never going to be eliminated with the technology for painting today.

It's not just Ford.

I never did like the Freestar... Stockfish has two for their service shuttles... BLECH. I always make conversation with the guy driving so I can't notice the seats eating away at my lower back. :puke:

The Fusion... that's another story. I love driving that car. I'm constantly fighting my urge to hand off the Focus to my brother-in-law and get one.

If I lease it - 16" wheels. If I buy it... 17" wheels. It's bigger, but even with the 2.3L and the 5-speed auto... wow. I just love driving it. It's the fun of my Focus with more punch, especially on the highway.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
meford4u,Nov 16 2006, 11:31 PM Wrote:
Drivesthebeast,Nov 16 2006, 09:00 PM Wrote:I'm sorry, but the paint jobs on ALL Ford Products has been far from spectacular.  Look at a lincoln MKZ or Ford Mustang Gt....whole lotta "orange-peel" that you need to compund or wax out... (had to do this with my car, and now the paint, besides signs of age, looks smoother/nicer than when it was a newer car).

[right][snapback]216339[/snapback][/right]
almost all cars have orange peel. It's part of the paint process. Until you wet sand the car to smooth it, it's never going to be eliminated with the technology for painting today.

It's not just Ford.
[right][snapback]216367[/snapback][/right]

Its true, a lot of Impreza guys were bringing their cars back because it was so bad.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Ok, quick update.
Ken, tell us about your meeting on Monday. It must have went well and you must have mentioned canning our Plant Manager. they went one step further. They promoted him.
We were also told that another huge investment is coming in July in the form of 3 new paint booths (thank god as I am tired of eating paint)
Apparently there are 2 offsite locations owned and operated by Rousch racing that are currently inspecting and evaluating every new vehicle coming out of the plant and help with any defects. One in Burlington and one in Milton. Why them I have no idea.
They should be in stealerships by Dec. 1st.
Not to worry. All is good and getting better.

Ya i've been waiting for Ken to post about his meeting. I was starting to think maybe he wasn't allowed to talk about it.

Good to hear that Ford is going to invest money into fixing the problems with their new vehicle.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Nov 23 2006, 08:21 PM Wrote:Ya i've been waiting for Ken to post about his meeting. I was starting to think maybe he wasn't allowed to talk about it.

Good to hear that Ford is going to invest money into fixing the problems with their new vehicle.
[right][snapback]217285[/snapback][/right]

Anyway - this won't mean much to those not at wing night ... but Bryan - Habmann - OAC ... my meeting was on Tuesday and while I obviously can't talk much about it, I can tell you that the communications I'm developing are indeed about the subject we discussed and they are more for an internal and channel audience and not the public.

But even so, that doesn't mean I get the whole story either - there's always the concept of plausible deniability that comes with my territory.

And LOL no I had nothing to do with the plant manager's fate, but I did also hear about new investments and new equipment, so I'm guessing that's the new paint booths.

I guess I'm not really saying much, but it's tough to be any more forthcoming and still get work, if ya know what I mean.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
And of course we go in last night, after telling the likes of you's guys that all is well, and they have once again stopped production for a faulty air bag sensor.

More overtime soming as of next weekend. And then my holidays!!!!

Geez... no wonder the new contest at Ford.ca (Living on the Edge IIRC) has so many disclaimers basically amounting to "If the car isn't built by the end of the contest, we'll just give you something better" :ph34r:

Contest draw is Dec 12/06 IIRC, what are the chances that the Edge is actually on the showroom floor by that time? :huh: (Hey, if I won and it meant I got a Fusion instead, I sure wouldn't kvetch :lol: )

NefCanuck