Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bc Bans Smoking
-From Linked Article

Campbell told about 1,000 delegates Saturday at the B.C. Liberal Party's convention that banning smoking is one way his government plans to improve the health of British Columbians and reduce health costs.

The public smoking ban will take effect in 2008, giving businesses and institutions time for implementation, Campbell said.

"We're not talking about what people can do in their homes, nor what people can do in their hotel rooms," he said. "But the time has come to put an end to smoking in indoor public spaces in British Columbia."

BC BANS INDOOR SMOKING
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About bloddy time. I work in a Community Gaming Center as a tech and I got to walk through these "smoking rooms" sometimes. More like a nicotine hot box.

Will piss tons of people off though. :lol:
Dan
Ontario is still intact after enacting the "Smoke Free Ontario Act" earlier this year. I'm sure B.C. will do just as well ;)

NefCanuck
You guys out west will survive don't worry. All the belly aching will die down once its actually in place.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Plus if BC residents complain more about it they can run the same add's they do here in Ontario about how people who don't smoke hate working in smoking enviroments.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Saskatchewan has been fine after we enacted the public smoking ban. thinks its was in 2000 or something like that.
'03 Focus SVT
Right on, the more bans the better......... smoking sucks, one of the stupidest and most unhealthy things a person can do to themselves. The healthcare costs for people with cancer from smoking, etc (other smoke related illnesses) is insane, it's a huge huge HUGE cost to the government considering it can easily be prevented. People that choose to smoke can pay for their own damn healthcare, then maybe they will get enough brains to know it's not good for you.

Congrats BC, hopefully many more will follow.....
^^ X2, I agree with everyone else here apparently. Even in a small city like North Bay, not ONE business has gone under after the smoking ban went in place.

And I've said that before, too about the smokers paying their own way. I still don't see how they think it doesn't harm themselves. :blink:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Well sure, the reason being, sure some MAY choose not to go anymore if they can't smoke, but the multiple other people that NEVER WENT TO BEGIN WITH due to the smoking, are going out now.....

Big deal, go have your smoke outside, if you have a problem with that, you got a big issue. The whole thing about businesses going under is a complete joke. The bars here in town are still just as busy, if not more busy because more people are going due to the 'no smoking inside' thing and as far as bingo halls and whatever are concerned, since that apparently is a big problem when it comes to smoking, good riddance, those people in there (most) should keep their money for necessities, rather then gambling it away.
Should ban alcohol & gambling while were at it.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I can't tell you how enjoyable it is to be able ot goto a bar and actually sit AT THE BAR and have a beer and watch the game without asshat smoking in my face.

You guys in BC will love this!
Yeah it's damn nice going out and coming home and not smelling like an ashtray........

That a BIG REASON why alot of people didn't go to the bars, etc and a big reason why they do now.
Flofocus,Nov 6 2006, 01:56 PM Wrote:Should ban alcohol & gambling while were at it.
[right][snapback]214842[/snapback][/right]

Go for it, I don't drink and if I saved the $6/wk I voluntarily spend on 6/49 and Super 7... I'd be saving over $300/yr. :D
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
There is 80% tax on smokes do you really think that health care costs are an issue. They could ban smoking in public places, but they will never ban smoking.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
n/m all that....they still got the best chronic :)

not that im a smoker
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
D-Dub,Nov 6 2006, 06: Wrote:There is 80% tax on smokes do you really think that health care costs are an issue.  They could ban smoking in public places, but they will never ban smoking.
[right][snapback]214878[/snapback][/right]

Damn right they are, do you have any idea how much cancer treatment for 'smokers' actually costs?!?!? Not to mention other smoking related problems. My god, you can't be that dense............
S2,Nov 7 2006, 09:29 AM Wrote:
D-Dub,Nov 6 2006, 06: Wrote:There is 80% tax on smokes do you really think that health care costs are an issue.  They could ban smoking in public places, but they will never ban smoking.
[right][snapback]214878[/snapback][/right]

Damn right they are, do you have any idea how much cancer treatment for 'smokers' actually costs?!?!? Not to mention other smoking related problems. My god, you can't be that dense............
[right][snapback]214944[/snapback][/right]

Apparently!

Dom, I'm suorised with your views on this. :0
Smoke, drink eat and enjoy life.
Quit bitchin about paying other people's way and how I hate smoking.
Bitch bitch bitch.

You are a bunch of winey bitches.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
The dense person is probobly you, because you should be asking yourself a question and that question is why they havent banned smoke all together. Theres a reason behind everything.................

I know some people are going to hate me for this, but you have to see it from a real point of view.

Im not saying its good to smoke, sure its bad for your health and all, but think about it 80% tax for smokes? do you really think that they need it for health care ...........let me break it down:

Say you smoke 1 pack a day and the price is $9 per pack and $7.2 should be going for health care. Let just say you smoke for 15 years 7.2x365x15= $39,420 towards health care. Then one day you say f*** it and you quit $39,420 goes towards health care because of your bad habit or DOES IT?, if it doesnt then it goes towards something else . Say somebody gets sick because of smoking for 15 years, there $39402 goes towards helping them recover and say the other guy that smoked and never got sick his $39402 is used if the other guys expenses exceed $39,420.

If you think about it, if you smoke till you die and never get sick the government makes a killing off you, and if you do get sick the government has lots and lots of money to help you out. You need to remember that if you smoke its doesnt mean that you will automaticaly die it just increases your risk of cancer or other deseases.

AND yes I do understand that some people get sick from second hand smoke and its bad because its not there choice, hence why the goverment wants to you to smoke outside, beacause they are losing money that they use to pay more for health care.

My main point is, I bet you out of that 80% they tax us on smokes 10% is really for health care.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
^^ perhaps but a dollar is a dollar, wherever it's coming from, a many dollar is going to health care for 'easily preventable' diseases like lung cancer due to smoking.

That money would be much better spent on practically everything else the government funds rather then someone's own weakness to a drug (for the lack of a better word) which is causing/caused them the disease. It's still a smokers choice to smoke and I guarentee, when your strung up in the cancer ward, you'll be wishing you NEVER smoked a cigarette in your life. Trust me.....
Flofocus,Nov 6 2006, 02:56 PM Wrote:Should ban alcohol.
[right][snapback]214842[/snapback][/right]

Prohibition came and died, it can do it again!
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin