Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Problem!
Got a nice new problem with the Focus. Back in May i had a problem with my charging system Outlined here, and today i thouhgt that it was coming back: (this is an email i sent to my uncle who is a Service manager for a ford dealership in sault ste marie)

I was driving to school today and after I parked I realized my battery light was on again. I had to go to class and decided I would worry about it after. When i got back in my car i started it up and it seemed to run fine. After i started driving my gauge cluster turned off. The car continued to run fine though, just no information on the gauges or odometer. About 3 weeks ago i changed the gauge face to a white faced one, but everything was working fine since then. I checked the gauge cluster to make sure the connection was fine and everything looked ok. They gauges were still getting power, they were not receiving a signal from the PCM. The backlight and the blinker and highbeam indicator were still working fine. So figured that my alternator was messed up again and causing my PCM problems. When i was driving back from windsor, the gauges stayed off unless i was
idling at a stop light, as soon as i accelerated they turned off. I also noticed that the odometer wasnt recording the kilometers I was travelling.

I picked up my friend and we took the car to Canadian Tire to do a
test on the electrical system with the Snap-on hand held. when we
took the battery cover off, both terminals had corrosion with alot on
the postive side. we did the load test on the alternator and it was
putting out 17.3 V. After it did that we talked to the one mecahnic
that we trust that the PCM controls the Alternator output. We then
decided to check for an DTC codes. I already knew that there was a
code or two for the EGR system (i have the vaccum line to the DPFE
sensor blocked, its been like that since Feb.) It came back with 6
codes, these are them:
P1246
P1270
P0460
P0401
P1406
P1709
On the reader most of the quick definition of these codes related to
the PCM. We think it is the PCM that might be causing these problems,
but we want to be sure its nothing else first due the cost of the PCM.

Any Ideas based on the info ive given you? do you think that it can be
the PCM that is causing the problem with the Alternator and the
Gauges?
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
P1246: Alternator Load Input Failed
P1270: Engine RPM or Vehicle Speed Limiter Reached
P0460: Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0401: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
P1406: Differential Pressure Feedback Electronic Sensor circuit Downstream Hose
P1709: Park or Neutral Position Switch out of Self-Test Range

I would say you don't have to worry about P0401 and P1406 they seem to be exhaust system related.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Check the 3 wire connecter on the back of the alternator and make sure the wires going into it aren't broken.

This happened to me, it was over charging at like 16-17v's so i got a alternator from a wreckers thinking it was the voltage regulator inside the alternator, but when i was taking it out of the car i noticed the red wire on that harness was broken. So i got a new harness from ford ($40 :( ) and spliced it in and that fixed the problem....

you can check this at home as you should be able to reach the plug from the top of the car like i did .. just give each wire a light tug and see if any are loose or borken
Below Average Car Club
How many were active fault codes and how many were just stored codes.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
bluetoy,Oct 23 2006, 06:32 PM Wrote:How many were active fault codes and how many were just stored codes.
[right][snapback]213102[/snapback][/right]
i think the 2 exhaust were stored and the speed limiter happend yesterday on the 401

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
bump

talked to my uncle tonight, and from the symptons and codes present, he said it sounds like the PCM. Luckily it is still covered under the Emission component warranty or somthing like that. anyways hes gonna get in touch with one of the dealers around here (not my local one cause they tried to screw me) and see if they can help me out without giving me the run around

Hopefully everything works out alright ZX5, I know what its like to be a student and have car trouble.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
confirmed today by the dealer, that the PCM is fried and that it is covered under the Emission Component Warranty. They have the PCM on Order but they dont have a Recive date. They put emergency order on it and will try and get it as soon as possible.
I took it to a differnet dealer than i normally go to cause i didnt like the service and this dealer is gonna provide me with a rental car until the part comes in and everything is fixed.
they didnt mention any of the mods or anythign and are probly gonna cover my fried alternator and cooked battery also.

i think this is why they are the highest volume dealer in the area, they actually have good service!!

so now i wait......

ZX5focused,Oct 25 2006, 04:49 PM Wrote:confirmed today by the dealer, that the PCM is fried and that it is covered under the Emission Component Warranty.  They have the PCM on Order but they dont have a Recive date.  They put emergency order on it and will try and get it as soon as possible. 
I took it to a differnet dealer than i normally go to cause i didnt like the service and this dealer is gonna provide me with a rental car until the part comes in and everything is fixed. 
they didnt mention any of the mods or anythign and are probly gonna cover my fried alternator and cooked battery also. 

i think this is why they are the highest volume dealer in the area, they actually have good service!!

so now i wait......
[right][snapback]213367[/snapback][/right]

Glad to hear your getting reasonable service! Hopefully it all gets fixed up asap, and right the first time.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
Nice to hear that a dealer is going the extra mile to help you out.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

got the car back today!! finally! turns out it was the PCM that was fried! covered under the emissions warranty, didnt cost me a dime! including the rental car i drove for 4 days.

i think the pcm has been messed up for awhile, i used to have a s***ty idle that fluctuate like it was gonna stall out. thats gone now, idles like a champ now. it used to stumble a little bit when i was accelerating, and i know it wasnt dpfe or anything and now that is alson gone. so i think my conmp has been screwed for awhile.

either way im happy to have my car back, i was stuck in a base model 07 focus zx4 and it sucked no options at all, the motor was pretty peppy thouhg and would be fun wiht a manual, but the auto sucked ass!