Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese Smart Car Copy Outrages Daimlerchrysler
Chinese Smart Car Copy Outrages DaimlerChrysler
Date posted: 10-17-2006

SUZHOU, China — When is a Smart car not a Smart Car? When it's a CMEC Electric City Smart.

Don't believe us? Compare the two cars pictured here and decide for yourself. In what surely is the most blatant case of automotive plagiarism yet, Chinese company CMEC has begun production of a new two-seat city car that appears for all the world like DaimlerChrysler offshoot Smart's six-year-old Fortwo. And its appearance has DaimlerChrysler executives hopping mad.

Even the name of the Chinese car is daringly close to that of the original: Electric City Smart. Smart's original two-seater was christened the City Coupe before adopting the name Fortwo in 2004.

Aesthetically, there's not much separating the two cars. Only the door handles, exterior mirrors and fuel tank of the CMEC-produced car display any discernible change from the original Smart design. Dimensionally, it's hard to pick among the two, as each has an overall length of just 98.4 inches. Even the tiniest of details, such as highlights within the sides of the doors and the shape of the rear window, have been unashamedly copied to give the Chinese car an authentic appearance from the outside.

Its questionable construction aside, the biggest difference between the real Smart and the copy produced by CMEC at its plant in Suzhou, China, is the means of propulsion. Rather than run a three-cylinder gasoline or diesel engine like today's Fortwo, the Chinese example uses an electric motor that is capable of pushing the pint-size two-seater along at a top speed of 34 mph. The battery range, according to CMEC, is around 62 miles.

Further differences can be found inside; the CMEC car has a rather low-rent interior compared with Smart's neat French-built original, and with little apparent emphasis on occupant safety features. From the outside, though, you would be hard-pressed to tell the two cars were from two different manufacturers.

And then there's the price! With a projected European price equivalent of U.S. $5,260, the Chinese car will be priced half as high as next year's all-new second-generation Smart Fortwo. That's if CMEC manages to place the car on sale at all. A spokesperson from Smart's headquarters in Böblingen, Germany, says measures have already been taken to ensure the Electric City Smart is removed from sale even in China. For its part, CMEC says the first examples of the Electric City Smart have already reached England and Hungary, where it is planned to go on sale in early 2007.

What this means to you: China has long had a reputation for taking the best of what the Western world has to offer and turning out cheaper copies; here's the latest and best example of it.

Pics are here with the article
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
ya that would suck
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
It's no wonder we've had a hell of a time getting them to rein in North Korea - they've been out driving every day! :lol:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 18 2006, 03:24 PM Wrote:It's no wonder we've had a hell of a time getting them to rein in North Korea - they've been out driving every day! :lol:
[right][snapback]212321[/snapback][/right]

ya but the aint getting to far, i think i would drive a fullsize LEGO car before one of those!!

At least i know i built it and all of the pieces are solid!! :lol:
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
LMAO ZX5focused!
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Wow, the Chinese really have no respect for copyrights at all. I guess you save a whole step when you dont have to come up with the initial design.. this isnt the same Chinese company that made the world's poorest safety rated SUV is it?
Thats brutal, can't blame daimler for being pissed about that. And the even more unfortunate part is when chinese vehicles final hit north american shores people will buy them even if they are copies of other cars, b/c the price will be hard to beat.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

who cares, spread the wealth, share the wealth....the only angry people are the 0.05% of old white wealthy men who control about 80% of the world's wealth and rip the rest of us off with high prices. hehe good on ya china for giving us dirt cheap prices lol.
Be the change you want to see in this world.
cornflakes,Oct 19 2006, 12:12 AM Wrote:who cares, spread the wealth, share the wealth....the only angry people are the 0.05% of old white wealthy men who control about 80% of the world's wealth and rip the rest of us off with high prices.  hehe good on ya china for giving us dirt cheap prices lol.
[right][snapback]212435[/snapback][/right]

So you're one of the f***tards that cause the chinese and people like them to do this kind of s***. Imagine if you spent years and piles of your money on something, got it patented/copyrighted and then someone totally stole your idea and was making a cheap copy. How would you feel? Cheated would prolly be a good word. I know I would. But yet you condone this?

I'm all for spreading the wealth, and i personally don't car if the chinese make cars, I know i'll never drive one of their rice patty POS's. But if they want to make money, let them invest their time and money into, don't just rip off other peoples hard work. And do you really think its gonna be any different in china, its just a different 0.05% of the people that are gonna get rich. Will the average chinese worked benefit prolly not. So really you're just taking from one man to give to another even less deserving man.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Oct 19 2006, 12:23 AM Wrote:
cornflakes,Oct 19 2006, 12:12 AM Wrote:who cares, spread the wealth, share the wealth....the only angry people are the 0.05% of old white wealthy men who control about 80% of the world's wealth and rip the rest of us off with high prices.   hehe good on ya china for giving us dirt cheap prices lol.
[right][snapback]212435[/snapback][/right]

So you're one of the f***tards that cause the chinese and people like them to do this kind of s***. Imagine if you spent years and piles of your money on something, got it patented/copyrighted and then someone totally stole your idea and was making a cheap copy. How would you feel? Cheated would prolly be a good word. I know I would. But yet you condone this?

I'm all for spreading the wealth, and i personally don't car if the chinese make cars, I know i'll never drive one of their rice patty POS's. But if they want to make money, let them invest their time and money into, don't just rip off other peoples hard work. And do you really think its gonna be any different in china, its just a different 0.05% of the people that are gonna get rich. Will the average chinese worked benefit prolly not. So really you're just taking from one man to give to another even less deserving man.
[right][snapback]212439[/snapback][/right]

Well put man, well put. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Thanx NOS.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

Pacific Mall starting selling these last week!

:lol:
'02 CD Silver SVT
All the options
#3731 out of 4788

'85 Mustang GT
this happens in every section of technology nowadays when the Chinese are involved, in the satellite business Chinese companys copy the better receivers from Korea and then sell them for half the price of the original Korean units but when it comes time to support them they turn there back on there customers and run with there money.

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS