Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote Starters
Hey,

Does anyone know a good place to get a remote starter installed in ottawa? I called the dealership and i was informed it would cost $500 for and it seems a bit steep to me.

Futureshop, and best buy will do it too, but it still seems pricy? or is that to be expected with the Focus?

M
Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? That will affect the price of the install. Also some shops won't do the install if its a manual transmission.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

habmann,Oct 18 2006, 01:15 AM Wrote:Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? That will affect the price of the install. Also some shops won't do the install if its a manual transmission.
[right][snapback]212056[/snapback][/right]

I've got an automatic transmission
Well if you've got an auto it shouldn't be an issue getting one installed. I know for me to get one put into the foucs it was gonna be more cuz I have a manual. Best advice is to shop around and see who charges what for the labour to install a remote starter.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

oh man 500 bucks , that sounds like stealer-ship prices to me , install it yourself , shouldnt be that hard.....
Mike,Oct 17 2006, 09:44 PM Wrote:oh man 500 bucks , that sounds like stealer-ship prices to me , install it yourself , shouldnt be that hard.....
[right][snapback]212070[/snapback][/right]

Yes and no, the Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) that comes standard on the Focus requires a bit more finesse when installing things like remote starters. Esp. with a non-Ford starter system you have to get the two systems to play nicely which can be an interesting challenge from what I've heard.

NefCanuck
If your around the Hamilton area, my cousin is a Distributed Electronics dealer and gets Python/Viper systems on a regular basis, i've had my two way Python system for over three years (transferred from my truck to the Focus). There are alternatives of course, Shelby makes a really nice two way system. A slew of my friends have both systems, and i've heard nothing but good comments from all.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
Try contacting Goldwing or Pearl autocare. I know they both sell them. So does Derand Derand's website. Derand usually has specials before Christmas ($250 installed sometimes).

I have one installed on my focus. What they did for the PATS system on my car was put a key that was programmed to my car with the shank sawed off under the dash in a little black box. It is then wired into the remote start system. (I have an Autostart 1400 series (http://www.autostart.ca/) with a TB-350 interface module for the PATS system)

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
I was told that the encoded keys or "PATS" as was mentioned above was going to make things harder and more expensive.

Its just i don't really know where to call around too, i tried Canadian Tire and they sell them but they don't install them, which to me seems odd. The dealership was much to expensive, futurehop and bestbuy i don't really trust with my car lol.

I guess just local shops? hmmm i'll have to look around
focuspilot23,Oct 18 2006, 05:03 PM Wrote:I was told that the encoded keys or "PATS" as was mentioned above was going to make things harder and more expensive.

Its just i don't really know where to call around too, i tried Canadian Tire and they sell them but they don't install them, which to me seems odd. The dealership was much to expensive, futurehop and bestbuy i don't really trust with my car lol.

[right][snapback]212365[/snapback][/right]

Canadian Tire doesnt because there is too much liability wiht electrical system and wiht modern cars its very complicated to work around the anti theft systems (=time comsuming) which keeps the tech off of other repair jobs.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
focuspilot23,Oct 18 2006, 05:03 PM Wrote:I was told that the encoded keys or "PATS" as was mentioned above was going to make things harder and more expensive.

[right][snapback]212365[/snapback][/right]

The PATS doesn't make it much harder, if the company that makes the starter has a workaround like Autostart does (the one I listed).

The places I listed are all local. Basically, and stereo shop in Ottawa should do the installs.

What part of town are you in?

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
The PATS doesn't make it much harder, if the company that makes the starter has a workaround like Autostart does (the one I listed).

The places I listed are all local. Basically, and stereo shop in Ottawa should do the installs.

What part of town are you in?

Ryan
[right][snapback]212462[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm in the kemptville area, but i go to fallowfield park and ride everyday.

I'll look into the ones you listed.
I got the Shelby system on my car and I can't complain about it. It's a really good system considering I picked it up for $400 installed.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
i do it for 300 installed all day long at work. the PAT system IS easy to bypass but the bypass isnt exactly cheap unless your willing to loose a key. 500 is WAY too much. i personaly dont trust big box stores.
Turbo Kit For sale. Bills SUCK.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remote Starters On Focuses NoiSeeVT 8 2,165 01-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Associate