Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ag Finds Lax Inspections On Food, Water
Alberta AG finds lax inspections on food, water
Updated Tue. Oct. 3 2006 8:12 AM ET

Canadian Press

EDMONTON -- When it comes to dining out in Alberta, food safety is not high on the menu and customers are falling ill as a result, the provincial watchdog said Monday.

"People do get sick. These are serious problems," Auditor General Fred Dunn said after issuing his annual report on government activity, which this year focused on food and drinking water.

He said the government and Alberta's nine regional health authorities need only the willpower and the resources to set things right.

"They don't have to reinvent the wheel," he told reporters.

"Those standards are there, but the enforcement people need both the tools and the teeth to ensure that they are enforced."

His office looked at records for 180 food establishments across the province for the year 2004. It found that in at least 34 of those businesses, critical food safety violations were found but no followup check was done to see if they had been corrected.

In fact, says the report, in many of the 34 cases, the next routine inspection found the same critical violations all over again.

"(Health) regions do not often use their enforcement powers under the Public Health Act to bring long-term offenders into compliance," says the report.

It also says health authorities reported 289 intestinal outbreaks in 2004.

In Calgary, 62 cases of E. coli were confirmed as likely coming from people eating beef donairs at two restaurants; six people ended up in hospital. More E. coli cases came when a hamburger restaurant worker with the bacteria passed it along to customers when handling their food.

It was an E. coli outbreak in the water supply in Walkerton, Ont., in 2000 that resulted in the deaths of seven people. About 2,500 more fell ill.

An inquiry blamed lax provincial oversight of water quality and sloppy operation of the water system itself. The former utilities manager was sentenced to one year in jail while his foreman brother received nine months house arrest and community service.

They were convicted of endangering the lives of the public by failing to properly monitor, test and disinfect the town's water supply.

Dunn said he doesn't know why there is a reluctance to enforce the rules in Alberta, although his report noted that in rural regions there was worry the publicity could cause customers to stay away.

The auditor general emphasized that food regulations must be enforced to have meaning and repeat offenders deserve more than a fine or a warning letter.

"The way to get the private sector to act is (by) impacting their business."

The report also found:

-Eight of the nine health regions did not meet their inspection targets. The frequency of inspections and what inspectors checked for varied widely.

-Regions said they need at least 35 more public health inspectors.

-Few food establishments were taken to court given the number of repeat critical violators.

-One public health inspector was allowed to inspect a club in which he was a member.

Alberta Health spokeswoman Lorelei Fiset said the department is working with health regions to promote food safety and develop common reporting requirements.

"There is some room for improvement and we're working on that," she said.

There are close to 200 public health inspectors in the field doing inspections and followups, and dining out is safe, she said.

"Albertans can be very confident in the quality of their food system and in restaurants."

On drinking water, the auditor suggested that inspectors need to be faster and more consistent in reporting findings. He also said that more certified waterworks operators are needed in rural regions to keep the system safe.

But the bottom line is that regulated drinking water is safe, Dunn said.

"I drink it out of the tap."

Opposition leaders said staff cuts by the Conservative government a decade ago to balance the budget have come home to roost.

Liberal Leader Kevin Taft said 35 consecutive years in power have blunted the ability of the Tories to respond.

"It's a government that's slack, a government that's tired, a government that's failing to do the most basic things.

"Albertans should be concerned about going to restaurants."

NDP Leader Brian Mason said the water concerns need immediate attention.

"The report raises the spectre of another Walkerton in Alberta," he said.

I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
I was only sick for 3 days after i ate food in Edmonton, it coulda been worse :P
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
i forwarded this to my sis inlaw, they moved to calgary last year. They have been sick most of the time. Maybe its bc of the food. Never know.

Thanks for the article
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad