Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ridiculous
Went to my local CT store, in town. Asked for a price on spark plugs for a Zetec 2.0L. $18.00 each was the reply.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
hmm... I wonder if that's the going price for platinum plugs these days....

considering they should last you a 100,000km, that's not a bad price.

compared to the $12 for the full set of one step colder copper plugs I had in my focus which are supposed to be replaced every 30K.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

It was nowhere near that for the SPI... I think I spent $40 all told and that was from the dealer for Motorcraft double-platinums!

CT appears to be in the business of hosing folks badly of late.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Seems high to me last time I checked.....

Man at that price, you could get them at the dealership..... LOL and we all know how they hose ya there.
go to ford and get the motorcraft ones.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Goto the dealer.

I've heard the Focus runs like s*** on aftermarket plugs.

Replace them with the Motorcraft ones.
ya thats about right, were those the laser platinum plugs?? i think those are the only one CT carries. im running them, and i havent had any issues. but i got to use my old discount when i bought them :D
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Sep 27 2006, 11:03 AM Wrote:ya thats about right, were those the laser platinum plugs?? i think those are the only one CT carries.  im running them, and i havent had any issues. but i got to use my old discount when i bought them  :D
[right][snapback]208764[/snapback][/right]
That was the laser platinum. might be worth the money?
K&N Filter.....
^^--- to be honest, if you're running a stock engine, the OEM replacements are your best bet.

Unless someone can post documented performance or mileage gains (dyno graph), I'm sticking to that answer..

i payed $13 or $15 for my platinum plugs

nothing special...maybe works a lil bit better on the milege
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
I agree with Darkpuppet, I've always heard and used stock plugs, even on a modded engine (no internals) and it seems it's the best bet. I'm not to impressed with alot of the aftermarket pieces, a bunch are made alot cheaper then OEM and although it may benefit the car, of which alot don't, your still loosing in the end. Aftermarket tends to wear out ALOT faster then OEM..... this is almost always a given.......
Motorcraft plugs have been found time and again to be the best choice for all Foci. My last set of double plats from the local dealer cost me $40 for the set.
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
Doesn't Canadian tire sell plugs in pairs? If so isn't that a good price on platinums?
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Go OEM for plugs, that's what I do, and I replace them about every 60,000 (just coz I don't beleive in the 100K interval...). I tried some aftermarket plugs (bosch platinum) and I took them out and replaced them with OEM ones again after only a week...my car ran weird on different plugs, even when they were seated and gapped properly.

I also preffer to run Motorcraft 5W20 full synthetic, and FRPP 9mm ignition wires. The car runs great with this stuff!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Okay. While reading the replies to my post, (Thanks to everyone ), I have noticed that if I don't make any modifications, ie, turbo, exhaust, throttle body, etc, I'm being told that it's best not to do any small modifications. like putting in better plugs, or better wires. Is this because the modifications or changes won't make a difference to fuel economy or performance? I can't afford to put in a turbocharger, or change the exhaust. I would like to, as things need to be replaced, replace the parts with better equipment, to improve performance or fuel economy.
K&N Filter.....
honestly with all my mods, my fuel economy went to shot.

even after changin my plugs, ugraded 9.3mm wires , puttin a new fuel filter, its still not good

i think in my case all my mods make me wanna go faster, take off from the light quicker......more stuff i put in my engine the s***tier milege i get.

wait till i get my header with flex in 2 months.....oh boy
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
if you're running a UDP set along with the rest, your fuel economy shouldn't suffer THAT much unless you're running a super-aggressive tune and wild cams, etc. My economy is largely the same in town and a tad better on the highway than earlier on thanks to the 50% UDP and good maintenance.

I still get about 400-450KMs around town before the light comes on. It could be better, but I love the sound of intake and exhaust too much :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Clear Cut:

RUN FORD PLUGS!

Aftermarket plugs DO NOT work well in our engines.

I'VE HAD A MACHANIC TELL ME THIS.
Focus man, Focus.,Sep 27 2006, 06:23 PM Wrote:Doesn't Canadian tire sell plugs in pairs?  If so isn't that a good price on platinums?
[right][snapback]208890[/snapback][/right]

nope. those ones come as singles.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
oldeguy,Sep 28 2006, 09:10 AM Wrote:Okay. While reading the replies to my post, (Thanks to everyone ), I have noticed that if I don't make any modifications, ie, turbo, exhaust, throttle body, etc, I'm being told that it's best not to do any small modifications. like putting in better plugs,  or better wires. Is this because the modifications or changes won't make a difference to fuel economy or performance? I can't afford to put in a turbocharger, or change the exhaust. I would like to, as things need to be replaced, replace the parts with better equipment, to improve performance or fuel economy.
[right][snapback]208963[/snapback][/right]

there are 'small' mods you can do that'll increase the performance of your car... in accordingly small increments.

Plugs and wires are one of those mods that really, nobody really needs to do, and swapping to aftermarket 'performance' parts can be more detrimental than helpful.

If you want to do some small things that'll make a bit of a difference, a cold air intake (a true CAI, not shorty or 'ram air') will help.. an exhaust will help a little. Porting the throttle body will give a bit more tip-in response. ... then moving on to the intake manifold, tune, and driveline components will offer some more gains.

So all we're saying is just do your research (which you're doing now), and you'll be able to do some mods that are both cheap and make a difference... sparkplugs and wires on an otherwise stock engine don't have any benefit.