Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bandpass Rules...
Had a guy on a website for Full-size chevy's tell me that the best box for a truck is a bandpass...I would've asked him what he's smoking, but I'm too new on that forum, so I don't wanna P.O anyone alreay...lol!

There was also some other people saying that SAS Bazookas suck, etc etc...for applications like a standard cab truck, I'd say they are a GREAT idea. I'm thinking of putting a 6.5" or 8" one in my own truck if I can't find a box design of my liking for it...as they DO NOT sound like another pair of 6x9's...they play deeper and louder than 6x9's, even the smaller ones.

Just ranting....

:P
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Bandpass boxes are soooo early 90's.//

seriously, bandpass boxes are crap

get a nice custom truck box made...sealed or ported and throw in a single 10 or dual 10's...and you'll be laughin..

bazooka tubes are ok....probably in a truck is the best spot for those tubes
If you know how to design and build a bandpass enclosure, then bandpass enclosures are great. If you buy a prefab bp and throw any old sub in it, of course it's not going to perform.

4th order bp's are still one of my favourite enclosures; you get transient response similar to a sealed enclosure while getting output similar to a ported enclosure. It's kind of a "best of both worlds" design.
I had a sealed 12" Planet Audio sub in my Ranger, and it sounded great!
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
Cool, I think I'm going to end up doing a setup like this:

Kenny Harrison Radio for the HU (looks like OEM Delco twin shaft, but has 50watts x4, aux in for mp3 or sat radio, and outputs for amps, etc).

PowerAcoustik XP2K 60C components for the mid and high range

PowerAcoustik BL10 10" Sub in a sealed box

Power Acoustik LT720/4 Amplifier to drive everything

Lots of dynamat inside on the floor, the doors, and rear wall, and rubberized undercoating on the outside floor to deflect sound and heat away.
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
DevilDriver,Sep 24 2006, 05:17 PM Wrote:If you know how to design and build a bandpass enclosure, then bandpass enclosures are great.  If you buy a prefab bp and throw any old sub in it, of course it's  not going to perform.

4th order bp's are still one of my favourite enclosures; you get transient response similar to a sealed enclosure while getting output similar to a ported enclosure.  It's kind of a "best of both worlds" design.
[right][snapback]208311[/snapback][/right]

I'm with him on this one. If you know what your doing with bp's you can make them perform as good and I've seen it where they have performed better than a sealed box.

I got a bp setup and it beats my buddies protige's sealed setup.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
Drivesthebeast,Sep 29 2006, 10:06 PM Wrote:Cool, I think I'm going to end up doing a setup like this:

Kenny Harrison Radio for the HU (looks like OEM Delco twin shaft, but has 50watts x4, aux in for mp3 or sat radio, and outputs for amps, etc).

PowerAcoustik XP2K 60C components for the mid and high range

PowerAcoustik BL10 10" Sub in a sealed box

Power Acoustik LT720/4 Amplifier to drive everything

Lots of dynamat inside on the floor, the doors, and rear wall, and rubberized undercoating on the outside floor to deflect sound and heat away.
[right][snapback]209406[/snapback][/right]

I thought you were trying to dump the Focus?

Unless your post is old.
the biggest problem with any box is the person who made it. For moderate power levels, sealed is probably the way to go, but up the power to much and you'll overpower a sealed box. Under power a ported box, and it'll sound crappy.. a bandpass is supposed to give you the best of both worlds.

The only problem is that people very rarily pull out their measuring tape and do the math...and that's usually the leading cause of, "my x setup sounds better than my buddy's y setup".

I personally prefer moderately powered sealed enclosures myself..
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Mine is ported and it sounds a lot better than my open air set up.

MUCH louder bass.
darkpuppet,Oct 12 2006, 01:04 PM Wrote:the biggest problem with any box is the person who made it.  For moderate power levels, sealed is probably the way to go, but up the power to much and you'll overpower a sealed box.  Under power a ported box, and it'll sound crappy.. a bandpass is supposed to give you the best of both worlds.

The only problem is that people very rarily pull out their measuring tape and do the math...and that's usually the leading cause of, "my x setup sounds better than my buddy's y setup".

I personally prefer moderately powered sealed enclosures myself..
[right][snapback]211361[/snapback][/right]

My buddy paid for his to be done at an actual car audio shop....paid like 200 bucks to get it setup (+the actual sub spkr and deck) in the car..(box made,dynamate,the whole kit) And my car has been done by me. Had a 350Watt MTX bluethunder and put it into my brothers old 10" bp box and took an old 350 Watt Oasis amp from my neighbor and tweaked it to O/P 425 Watts onto the 350 in the bp box and man I am impressed with it. HTe whole build cost me like $65 (wiring kits.)
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
darkpuppet,Oct 12 2006, 10:04 AM Wrote:the biggest problem with any box is the person who made it.  For moderate power levels, sealed is probably the way to go, but up the power to much and you'll overpower a sealed box.  Under power a ported box, and it'll sound crappy..
[right][snapback]211361[/snapback][/right]
I don't mean to sound rude, but that couldn't be less true. In terms of efficiency, a sealed enclosure is the least efficient and requires the most power for a given level of output. As the order of the enclosure increases, so does efficiency, but bandwidth goes down as well.
just my two cents

bandpass sound great if you dont like your speaker, a bandpass put alot of pressure on your sub and with a bandpass you cant tell if there is any dastorion(how ever you spell it.) and that will kill subs.

i have two tens with a six inch port great for db drag but if you want sq sealed is the way to go.

anyways bandpass is a sub killer

but like i said just my two cents
It my not be fast but its LOUD
willcann,Oct 17 2006, 02:32 PM Wrote:just my two cents

bandpass sound great if you dont like your speaker,  a bandpass put alot of pressure on your sub and with a bandpass you cant tell if there is any dastorion(how ever you spell it.) and that will kill subs.

i have two tens with a six inch port great for db drag but if you want sq sealed is the way to go.

anyways bandpass is a sub killer

but like i said just my two cents
[right][snapback]212014[/snapback][/right]
Unfortunately, distortion does not kill your speaker, nor does a bandpass enclosure. If you are familiar enough with the bandpass enclosure you are using, there should be no reason to put yourself in a situation where distortion is actually being caused anyways.