Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rip Analog Cellphones
Flofocus,Aug 28 2006, 01:20 PM Wrote:Who uses 20 year old analog service?

Bell customers who are sick of having a rogers phone that does not work 1/2 hour outside of the city.

Thats who.  :P
[right][snapback]204344[/snapback][/right]

I personally enjoy the fact that my cell doesn't work in algonquin park :P

that being said, the switch to digital will benefit the old analog users eventually as well as digital services can then be expanded into those outlying regions...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

No body seemed to comment on the second part, so Im assuming your all ok with paying $5 extra /mo to use your analog handset just like cingular is doing in the states? they already started charging people this fee. oh and Pigeon, Digital transmissions, such as CDMA/GSM and TDMA are NOT line of site. they use the same airwaves as analog, heck they even use the same frequency range, 800-1900 mhz. Older Analog phones were capable of 3 watts, but require a suitcase to be carried arroudn with you, plus not to mention the high level of SAF energy being absorbed into your head.. no one is worried about this? Digital phones are generally have the lowest SAF ratings and generally can still transmit at up to 2 watts with 1/10000 the size unit, CDMA IS digital too just incase you forgot.. Remember, I did not post this thread to hear how much you hate rogers, thats fine if you hate them, but I'm talking about Analog... which Bell and Telus and Aliant and MTS are still heavily using...
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Aug 28 2006, 06:34 PM Wrote:No body seemed to comment on the second part, so Im assuming your all ok with paying $5 extra /mo to use your analog handset just like cingular is doing in the states? they already started charging people this fee.  oh and Pigeon, Digital transmissions, such as CDMA/GSM and TDMA are NOT line of site. they use the same airwaves as analog, heck they even use the same frequency range, 800-1900 mhz.    Older Analog phones were capable of 3 watts, but require a suitcase to be carried arroudn with you, plus not to mention the high level of SAF energy being absorbed into your head..  no one is worried about this?  Digital phones are generally have the lowest SAF ratings and generally can still transmit at up to 2 watts with 1/10000 the size unit, CDMA IS digital too just incase you forgot..  Remember, I did not post this thread to hear how much you hate rogers, thats fine if you hate them, but I'm talking about Analog... which Bell and Telus and Aliant and MTS are still heavily using...
[right][snapback]204437[/snapback][/right]
--disclaimer-- I never intended to diss Rogers, nor am I now. It's just my observation.

If you bought a car, paid for it, and 5 years later the government said that if you want to continue driving it you have to pay a $500 "old car" surcharge tax every year, to try to push you into a new car, how would you feel?

If tomorrow the governement halted all free-air radio broadcasts, that everyone had to pay and go to satellite, how would you feel?

How would you feel if your cable company levied a $20 a month service charge for all subscribers not owning a digital terminal that you must buy?

Just because a company forces a surcharge to continue a service on equipment that you've invested in, doesn't make it right.

Personally, if I was an analog customer and someone tried to push it on me by putting on a surcharge, I'd tell'em to "Jam it"
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Y'know I'm not even sure that I've had to use an analog signal to complete a cellphone call in the last two and a half years I've had my current Telus phone other than one area that's a Bermuda Triangle for cell phone signals (Pickering near the land expropriated for the airport that was never built)

If Telus tried to impose an "analog surcharge" I'd drop them then & there and go with someone else. It's like they keep trying to get me to add more services and break my contract, which for them loses $ every month I'm sure (Old contract, weekday nights 6pm on & weekends free) I know when I have t good :P

NefCanuck
paolo,Aug 28 2006, 05:34 PM Wrote:No body seemed to comment on the second part, so Im assuming your all ok with paying $5 extra /mo to use your analog handset just like cingular is doing in the states? they already started charging people this fee.  oh and Pigeon, Digital transmissions, such as CDMA/GSM and TDMA are NOT line of site. they use the same airwaves as analog, heck they even use the same frequency range, 800-1900 mhz.    Older Analog phones were capable of 3 watts, but require a suitcase to be carried arroudn with you, plus not to mention the high level of SAF energy being absorbed into your head..  no one is worried about this?  Digital phones are generally have the lowest SAF ratings and generally can still transmit at up to 2 watts with 1/10000 the size unit, CDMA IS digital too just incase you forgot..  Remember, I did not post this thread to hear how much you hate rogers, thats fine if you hate them, but I'm talking about Analog... which Bell and Telus and Aliant and MTS are still heavily using...
[right][snapback]204437[/snapback][/right]

I'm not knocking Rogers personally.....All the cell companies have hte things that they do that make them suck (at times) I'm just saying that it seems that Rogers is sorta boughting that htey are pushing their customers out of the service that works for them and into something they don't like or won't be able to use all the time/for a while.

And digital and analog signals aren't hte same. An digital signal and analog signal Propigate differently. Digital go in a "direct line" as far as a radio or tel-com tech would learn it as and an analog signal propigates in more of an arch or sign wave signal. I only know this because I work on Radios/ RADARS and tel-com (telephones/cell phones) on a daily basis. We use analog cells in CFS ALERT, NWT (approx 2hr flight from Russia) and get some signal. but a digital phone has never worked up their.

I like digital (for when I'm travelling) cause I pretty much know that it will work anywhere. But I use my digital cuse it got 10-4/text and internet. so they both work for me and I 'm not giving either up for no one without a fight. Thats all I was trying to get across. Sorry if my opinion offended you.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
Just an update.. April 07 is the deadline for Analog signals (including tdma) on rogers to be shut down. They have already started sending letters to individuals offering them a free phone. They have since already cut off TDMA completely in the 1.9 band.

Wonder if anyone on here got the free phone offer?
Looks like Rogers will be the first and only pure digital network in Canada in a month.. Shutting down analog and giving free gsm phones to customers who had analog. Not bad, not bad.
PIGEON1,Aug 28 2006, 12:47 PM Wrote:I got an anolog phone with bell and I refuse to end the contract [right][snapback]204331[/snapback][/right]

Theres lots of people like you....obviously a few on the baord here to.

I dont know if its just rogers thats getting rid of analog, if so, then Im all for it. More happy customers for us.

If Bell is doing the same, their making a huge mistake. The folks that live out in the country are Bell Analog customers, no other carrier can get to them. I know it is an old technology, but it freakin works, so why piss off customers that have probably been an analog user for the past how many years??!?!

When I go camping on the quebec side, my Bell phone always kicks into analog while my GF rogers phone (and other carriers, my cell gets used a lot!) just doesnt work at all, they better not get rid of it.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
If all of what you said means that they will work better as TELEPHONES...then I'll be happy.

I left a small rant about how I hate the cell phone industry on your other thread, but I'll expand on it here. Not only do I hate the fact that they are more concerned with doing everything under the sun with handsets than making them better receivers, I also hate how you are still limited to what handset you can buy, per carrier, as well as they spend millions and millions marketing the handsets, and plans and stuff, and that money should be spent on the hardware infrastucture, and making cellphones better at actually being used as phones (stronger signal, no dropped calls, etc etc).

A lot of cellphone stuff is geared at urban centres, and I don't blame them, as that's where the money is, but by doing this, those of us that live in bumf***ville get shafted, and get limited or poor service, regardless if it's analogue or digital.

Anyways, thanks for the info, sounds to me like there might be light at the end of the tunnel...and they are making an effort to fix what's wrong...

L8tz
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
fully agree drivethebeast.

were in 2007, why do we still heavily rely on 20 year old technology called amps (analogue) to give us cellphone service in rural towns/areas? we can easily replace it with digital technology.. but the problems rely on the companies who dont get the ball rolling and push as much life as they can get out of their analogue gear that costed them billions 20 years aog and theyre still trying to pay off the bill.

sometimes investing in new technologies and pushing forward by offering incentives for people who migrate early, generates more capaital for the companines in the long run, rather than trying to squeeze as much out of old technology. It costs rogers less to give every analogue customer a FREE digital gsm phone than it does to keep their analogue network running ontop of their digital gsm network even though less than 2-3 percent of it is being used. not only is it a waste of spectrum, its also a waste of customers money, cus we ultimately pay for it in our services fees.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cellphones What To Get .. Clueless zx5power 18 4,185 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast