Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seized Trunk Lock?
Title says it all...

Shortly after I got my car a year ago, I went to use the key to unlock the trunk. No turn.

I hit it with Krown spray lube, Liquid Wrench penetrating fluid, nothing. Anybody had this before? Key won't turn it, but the electric works fine. I think I need a new tumbler.

Anybody got an pointers, I'm all ears (or eyes).

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Do you have more than 1 key for the car?

The reason I ask is I have a similiar issue with my truck, but only with my set as it is used the most.

It could be a warn out key or as you said, new lockset as the tumblers are fumbared.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
reldridge,Aug 21 2006, 09:26 PM Wrote:Shortly after I got my car a year ago, I went to use the key to unlock the trunk. No turn.
[right][snapback]203330[/snapback][/right]
Has the key ever worked? If you bought your car used maybe the ignition lock is no longer the same as the trunk lock.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Welcome to the club of the seized trunk lock society. Everyone's does it.
MAlby7,Aug 21 2006, 10:01 PM Wrote:Welcome to the club of the seized trunk lock society.  Everyone's does it.
[right][snapback]203341[/snapback][/right]

This is true, my best opinion is to take it off the trunk lid and drown it in WD40 or something like that away from the car, I did this to my car when I did the body work round the plate light holes as water was getting in there and rusting things there. After I did this it worked fine, but I will say it's way easier to use the buttons on the key or on the dash, only if you you don't want to rip appart your trunk lid to get in there.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
meford, it does it for both mine and my wife's keys, so I'm thinking lockset.

I'd like to get it fixed rather that live with it, since I'm sick of having booster cables under the front seat for when the battery is dead and the power locks won't work... (ask my wife about that one) :)

I guess I'll try soaking it with penetrating fluid again, then if that doesn't work, I'll go have a chat with the dealer that I bought it from (I'm good friends with the parts manager).

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Mine stopped working in 01. I dont really care as the electronics still work.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Mine doesn't work either! Come to think of it I only tried it once last year, noticed it didn't work..... then went back to using the electric!!! I've even thought of just shaving it off!!!
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims