Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cell Phone Question
Ok so my girlfriend's phone is dying (shutoff on its own etc..) so she was gonna get a phone from rogers (shes with rogers) but they al require those damn contracts or else they sell for like 9375784$ if you dont get a contract.. so anyway she was hoping to pay around a 100$ for a phone.. she doesnt care for any fancy stuff like cameras and mp3 players..

Anyway.. I care about the fancy stuff :lol: and i found her an unlocked Motorola MPx200 (smartphone.. my idea hehe) for 110$.. I was wondering if she could just get the phone from the person.. put her sim card in and thats it.. is that how it works? is it that easy? If not does rogers require a fee for changing phones (i remember bell had charged me but that was like 5 years ago..)

Is this a good phone ? I read good reviews but i dont really know..

Second option:

I found an unlocked Motorola V551 (used for rogers already) for 100$.. is that an alright phone.. anyway i just want to be able to test it on the spot to see if it works.. so thats why i was wondering how easy it is to swtich owner..

Thanks guys!
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Aug 18 2006, 10:54 AM Wrote:Ok so my girlfriend's phone is dying (shutoff on its own etc..) so she was gonna get a phone from rogers (shes with rogers) but they al require those damn contracts or else they sell for like 9375784$ if you dont get a contract.. so anyway she was hoping to pay around a 100$ for a phone.. she doesnt care for any fancy stuff like cameras and mp3 players..

Anyway.. I care about the fancy stuff  :lol: and i found her an unlocked Motorola MPx200 (smartphone.. my idea hehe) for 110$.. I was wondering if she could just get the phone from the person.. put her sim card in and thats it.. is that how it works? is it that easy? If not does rogers require a fee for changing phones (i remember bell had charged me but that was like 5 years ago..)

Is this a good phone ? I read good reviews but i dont really know..

Second option:

I found an unlocked Motorola V551 (used for rogers already) for 100$.. is that an alright phone.. anyway i just want to be able to test it on the spot to see if it works.. so thats why i was wondering how easy it is to swtich owner..

Thanks guys!
[right][snapback]202888[/snapback][/right]

Talk to Paolo...he'll be able to answer all your questions!
microbunny,Aug 18 2006, 10:59 AM Wrote:Talk to Paolo...he'll be able to answer all your questions!
[right][snapback]202890[/snapback][/right]

Yeah thanks, I knew someone was a phone fanatic on here but wasnt sure who..

Thank you
ZX3T gone..
I found the ultimate chick phone for my wife.

Take a look at the GD55 or G51 from panasonic, ok so it don't have the most fancy features but its damn small. Not in production anymore but you can find them for ~ $50-60 used.

hardk0re,Aug 18 2006, 11:35 AM Wrote:I found the ultimate chick phone for my wife.

Take a look at the GD55 or G51 from panasonic, ok so it don't have the most fancy features but its damn small.  Not in production anymore but you can find them for ~ $50-60 used.
[right][snapback]202896[/snapback][/right]

was it for rogers though or would i ened an unlocked one..

Thanks I will look at that for sure.. im sure shed rather pay 50-60 anyway

would still like the MPx200 though ehhe
ZX3T gone..
The beauty with the SIM card is that you just take it out of one phone and stick it in another and the new phone works. The only thing you must be careful of is whether or not the new phone is "locked". A locked phone can only be used with the provider it's locked to. If it's a rogers phone then you don't have to worry about it. You can also get an Unlocked phone which lets you use it with any provider. I don't know much about the first phone you asked about but the V551 is a pretty good phone. Has camera, bluetooth, Nice screen inside, Speakerphone.
All GD55's and G51's are unlocked becuase I don't think there was a provider in North America that sold them, I think it was more of a big deal in Asia.
oh ok but yeah i was hoping to find it locally.. i like seeing it in my hands first.. i guess since i "can" just test it out on the spot.. i'd rather do that then order some guys used phone from Scotland and then find that its dead or the screen is broke in half..

i will look though if i can find it more locally..

Thanks for your help guys.. hopefully paolo will chime in and speak the words of the cell phone lord..

I jsut found a shop here in ottawa that has a bunch of unlocked phones etc.. so I might jsut go there with ehr and let her choose.. theres some in the "clearance" category that might interest her..
ZX3T gone..
The V551 is a great phone. It has pretty much everything except mp3 capabilities. I use to buy these all the time for our guys on site and overseas, till the V551 went out of production.

But still talking about the good side, the V551 is quad band. It will work in all GSM areas at 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 bands. It has a camera, bluetooth compatibility, speakerphone, etc etc etc.

If I didn't have the RZR, I'd still go back to a v551.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
^--- I'll trade you my v551 for your razor...I think the thing is a piece of crap, much like it's v300 bretheren.

The earpiece speaker is too quiet, the construction is flimsy, and if I pack it mountainbiking or snowboarding, I can guarantee that the phone will have turned itself off by the end of the ride... the phone is so fragile to knocks and bumps, it might as well be made of glass.

The phone does work, I'm just not happy with it.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Aug 18 2006, 03:30 PM Wrote:^--- I'll trade you my v551 for your razor...
[right][snapback]202945[/snapback][/right]

I said IF i didn't have my RAZR. :P

I like my black RAZR. :P
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Oscar The Grouch,Aug 18 2006, 03:54 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Aug 18 2006, 03:30 PM Wrote:^--- I'll trade you my v551 for your razor...
[right][snapback]202945[/snapback][/right]

I said IF i didn't have my RAZR. :P

I like my black RAZR. :P
[right][snapback]202951[/snapback][/right]

my V3i is awesome...

best phone i've ever had!
hardk0re,Aug 18 2006, 11:35 AM Wrote:I found the ultimate chick phone for my wife.

Take a look at the GD55 or G51 from panasonic, ok so it don't have the most fancy features but its damn small.  Not in production anymore but you can find them for ~ $50-60 used.
[right][snapback]202896[/snapback][/right]

Try and stay away from the Panasonic GD55. It may look and function like a nice phone, but the lack of a GSM 850 P.A will guarentee you spotty reception/coverage. As for the G51, no 850 as well, you may consider the G51u which is a gray/silver american version of that phone and HAS 850.

darkpuppet,Aug 18 2006, 03:30 PM Wrote:I think the thing is a piece of crap, much like it's v300 bretheren. 

The earpiece speaker is too quiet, the construction is flimsy, and if I pack it mountainbiking or snowboarding, I can guarantee that the phone will have turned itself off by the end of the ride... the phone is so fragile to knocks and bumps, it might as well be made of glass.[right][snapback]202945[/snapback][/right]

I have a solution for the low earpiece volume, a re-designed speaker connector. Best of all, it wont cost you a cent. I will be free. Shutting off is actually dirty battery connector/contacts, if you clean them with an erasor or fibreglass, it will be good to go.

As for Berin's question.. There is a good deal for the Motorola V360 from Rogers Pay as u go right now , its like $119 after rebates, this normally goes for well over 200 bucks. Also the nokia 3220 is like $79 on rogers.com, thats a PRO price too. Since its a pay as u go phone, you should be able to put your existing SIM card into it and your good to go, you DONT have to tell rogers that u changed phones, thats what makes Rogers/Fido the competitive edge over Bellus who charges $25 to change handsets.

The one thing you should be aware about using a phone not intended for the network is the internet/mms and a couple other network features may not work, but I can also assist you in programming in the settings if u like.
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Aug 18 2006, 09:58 PM Wrote:, you DONT have to tell rogers that u changed phones, thats what makes Rogers/Fido the competitive edge over Bellus who charges $25 to change handsets.

[right][snapback]202987[/snapback][/right]

I am on Telus. I can stick my sim card in another handset just like rogers. no charge. Get yer facts straight... :P
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
bluetoy,Aug 18 2006, 10:47 PM Wrote:
paolo,Aug 18 2006, 09:58 PM Wrote:, you DONT have to tell rogers that u changed phones, thats what makes Rogers/Fido the competitive edge over Bellus who charges $25 to change handsets.

I am on Telus. I can stick my sim card in another handset just like rogers. no charge. Get yer facts straight... :P
[right][snapback]202989[/snapback][/right]

Telus has SIM card phones? :huh: That's new, every Telus phone I've had has been an all in one unit, no SIM card to play with. Must be a recent development...

NefCanuck
paolo,Aug 18 2006, 09:58 PM Wrote:I have a solution for the low earpiece volume, a re-designed speaker connector. Best of all, it wont cost you a cent. I will be free.  Shutting off is actually dirty battery connector/contacts, if you clean them with an erasor or fibreglass, it will be good to go.

I've cleanede the battery many times.. doesn't do too much for too long..but the redesigned speaker connector.. let's chat!
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

*raises eyebrow* Sorry dude, but Telus doesn't have GSM phones. They're a CDMA network which, by definition, does not support SIM cards.
deadSkip,Aug 19 2006, 09:28 AM Wrote:

*raises eyebrow* Sorry dude, but Telus doesn't have GSM phones. They're a CDMA network which, by definition, does not support SIM cards.
[right][snapback]203005[/snapback][/right]

Don't be sorry. I have 4 telus phones with sim cards. They're all motorola's.

Prolly Is not a word
bluetoy,Aug 19 2006, 10:04 AM Wrote:Don't be sorry. I have 4 telus phones with sim cards. They're all motorola's.
[right][snapback]203008[/snapback][/right]

I dont think it was necessary to cause any more confusion, so let me clear it up for everybody. The thing Bluetoy is talking about is called Telus MIKE, formerly Mike's Clearnet, not really referred to often as cellullar because it has a different air interface called iDEN (not cellular or pcs). They DO use a SIM card but theyre NOT GSM compatible. But Normal Telus (former clearnet pcs) and Bell CDMA fonez dont use sim cards, hint to blue toy... thas why I said BELLUS. And to change your phone, it will cost you $25 ESN swap fee from your carrier.
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Aug 19 2006, 02:28 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Aug 19 2006, 10:04 AM Wrote:Don't be sorry. I have 4 telus phones with sim cards. They're all motorola's.
[right][snapback]203008[/snapback][/right]

I dont think it was necessary to cause any more confusion, so let me clear it up for everybody. The thing Bluetoy is talking about is called Telus MIKE, formerly Mike's Clearnet, not really referred to often as cellullar because it has a different air interface called iDEN (not cellular or pcs). They DO use a SIM card but theyre NOT GSM compatible. But Normal Telus (former clearnet pcs) and Bell CDMA fonez dont use sim cards, hint to blue toy... thas why I said BELLUS. And to change your phone, it will cost you $25 ESN swap fee from your carrier.
[right][snapback]203021[/snapback][/right]

It only costs $10 ESN swap if you do it online. Telus pcs was Clearnet Like 15 yrs ago... Just like Rogers was Cantel. No matter how you slice it Rogers sucks. The WORST most ignorant customer service going. That's why anyone who uses their phone for businesss is on Telus/Mike.

just noticed the Motorola A840 on Telus PCS has a sim card. :P

Prolly Is not a word

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question For The Cell Phone Guru's ? dlb 9 3,345 12-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Last Post: paolo
  Need a new cell phone -- confusion. torradan 12 5,857 10-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Phone System Question Chromey 19 6,064 04-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Last Post: OAC_Sparky
  When Does That New Cell Phone Law Take Effect? 2001 ZTS 30 11,292 04-24-2009, 04:26 AM
  Cell Phone Possible Cause Of Accident In Toronto.. darkpuppet 17 6,896 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
  Cell Phone Question dlb 3 1,964 01-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Last Post: dlb
  Cheaper Cell Phone Plans In The Future? D-Dub 9 3,280 11-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Cell Phone Help Asap! bluetoy 11 3,310 10-29-2006, 01:33 PM
  What Cell Phone Should I Buy Crazirich 33 10,499 09-27-2006, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Crazirich
  Bell Mobility Cell Phone Issues? microbunny 2 1,675 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM