Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installed My Ipod Into My Focus
A couple of weeks ago i bought an 30 gig ipod to take with me on my road trip. When i got back i figured i might as well get the stuff needed to hook it up to my car. I didnt want to do the FM transmitter method cause it defeats the point of having digital music.
so i looked into what cables i would need to hook it up to my alpine deck. the deck is an older model, but it was one of the best when it was out. either way it didnt have much ipod compadibility. I basically would have to plug the ipod in as an auxillary input. to do this i need 2 cables, because the deck does not have RCA inputs on its own. if your deck doesnt have an Ipod hook up but does have RCA input, all you will need is this cable set: ipod to RCA

after hooking it up and determining that it worked, it tried to figure out a way so that it isnt flying around the front seat or sitting in a cup holder. the following is how i set up a mount and hook up for my ipod. (i took the pics after i completed so i dont have in process pics)

This is how it looked before i started:
[Image: IMG_2135.jpg]

To start you need to remove the ashtray
after you have it out, you need to take the little flappy thing off. this is held in by 2 little tabs that are easily popped out:

[Image: IMG_2143.jpg]

to mount it i took the little holder thing that comes with the ipod and sized it up to the width of the ashtray. its not an exact fit so you will have to dremel it a bit to make it wider so that the mount will fit. after that is complete i hot glued it into place:

[Image: IMG_2138.jpg]

then i ran the cable from the back of the deck throught the back of the ashtray and put it underneathe the mount. (as seen above)

the ipod the mounts into the ashtray/base like this:

[Image: IMG_2141.jpg]

its nice that its withing reach and view so that when i want to change songs or anything i dont have to take my eyes off the road for long.

this is the finished product:

[Image: IMG_2142.jpg]

when the ipod is not hooked in, it looks exactly like the first pic!

its an extremely functional and clean addition to my stereo system and the sound quality is the same as CD's.

i just gotta see if it will stand up to my agressive driving habits
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
That looks like a very clean instal. Great job. Should be added to the how too's.

Did that come with the dock? The link shows it as a cable only. I need to find a better place to put mine as it takes up Lindsey's cup holder. There has been issues with spills.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
you counldn't do the iPod set up with an Alpine interface so your iPod is controled directly through your head unit.

its worth what ever it costs, think mine was a $100 for the Clarion set up and is the best thing i've done with the iPod and my car.
'03 Focus SVT
Focus man, Focus.,Jul 27 2006, 09:48 PM Wrote:Did that come with the dock?  The link shows it as a cable only.  I need to find a better place to put mine as it takes up Lindsey's cup holder.  There has been issues with spills.
[right][snapback]199451[/snapback][/right]

no, its the dock that came wiht the ipod

FocusGuy7476,Jul 27 2006, 09:57 PM Wrote:you counldn't do the iPod set up with an Alpine interface so your iPod is controled directly through your head unit.

[right][snapback]199455[/snapback][/right]

the guy that sold me the cable said this was the only one he had, i checked on the alpine site and there was some other cable that would let you control the ipod, but it didnt list my deck as compatible to this cable.
the deck is probly 2-3 model yrs old.

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Looks great! I got my iPod Nano a few weeks ago, tried the fm transmiter (iTrip) and wasn't impressed, the direct plug in/adapter is so much better, I wish I had the funds to do this.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
so can you push the ashtray back in when the iPod's not hooked up to hide the adapter?

just curious... it looks good man.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Jul 28 2006, 09:37 AM Wrote:so can you push the ashtray back in when the iPod's not hooked up to hide the adapter?

just curious... it looks good man.
[right][snapback]199497[/snapback][/right]

yup the ash tray goes right back in. there is just enough clearance for the lip to slide underneath. cant even tell its there, good for security if i decide to leave it in the car.

do not use hot glue!!! it melts when your car gets real hot in the summer. try epoxy or super glue!!

i got a kit when i was at sema last year, that mounts to then stereo surround...
[Image: int04.jpg]
[Image: int05.jpg]
[Image: int06.jpg]

than just hacked up a Belkin car kit and mounted it to the swivel base i got with the dash mount. and for the life of me, i cannot remember the company who gave me the mount... :unsure: :huh:
i wanted something that when i park my car, no-one knows that i have an ipod in it.

understandable, i was looking for the most secure mounting for the ipod. i have intentionally spun the car a couple of times and my ipod stays put like it's glued in! :P

plus i think my ipod might be a bit too big to fit in the ashtray like yours, your setup looks really good though.

i have my ipod hooked up using the Ipod/monstercable headphone-RCA cable kit, how do you find the clarity of those cables you are using? they do not look shielded, i would imagine you pickup a little bit of humm or buzz?
Nice deck, I got the same one :)
Dan
Ooooo Shiny red toggle switch Mitch........ whats that for ;)
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]