Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Ipod In Car Question
I’m tired of burning CDs to play MP3s in the car and ZX5focused’ post inspires me to consider digital music in my car.

I’m fortunate that my deck gives me options … but I’m not sure which choice to make – looking for some advice on these two options – or perhaps a third or fourth I haven’t considered yet.

My primary concern is sound quality but cost and convenience are also definitely factors – so what would you recommend – and thanks in advance for all input. (sorry for the size of the pics - resized them twice - obviously I suck at this)

Option A: (Pioneer digital adaptor to HU IP-Bus)
Pros: digital quality, controls iPod from HU, powers iPod, iPod stashed out of sight – no installation issues
Cons: my deck doesn’t support full functionality of adaptor/iPod (eg: single line scrolling text and awkward/slow navigation), must be iPod (a little pricey), adaptor gets mixed customer reviews on Crutchfield, iPod controls disabled – must use HU to operate iPod while connected to adaptor.

[Image: DEH-2.jpg]

Option B: (use headphone jack and 2 adaptors to HU)
Pros: inexpensive and easy, probably much better than FM transmitter, gives me choice of MP3 players (eg: unit shown is $199CAD at Costco),
Cons: sound quality not as good as Option A (or is it?), uses MP3 player interface and not HU (or is this a Pro), forces installation of player to make it accessible.

[Image: DEH-1.jpg]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
do you already have an iPod?

you could get Option A, and after getting everything in that option you could upgrade to a different head unit.
'03 Focus SVT
I am currently using a Monster Cable FM Modulator and it is OK at best. There is static from time to time but for the year that I have been using it I am used to it. When I do get around to changing my Head Unit I will be going with option A. I do not want to have to keep using my iPod to change the song. I would rather keep it in the center console.

Good luck with your choice, I am sure you will be happy which ever way you go.

Kevin
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
I think in terms of sound both are going to be the same, and better than FM modulation. Im not a big fan of IPODs, I think there are other options with different features with more value (just my opinion). If you need the adaptor for the pioneer deck let me know, I have an extra one (to hook up a non Ipod option B).,

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
FocusGuy7476,Aug 14 2006, 01:58 AM Wrote:do you already have an iPod? [right][snapback]202289[/snapback][/right]

No ... the only thing I've got is the deck - I have to purchase everything else for either option.

The deck I have does have the IP-Bus and it sounds excellent ... it is a fairly recent purchase and I have no plans to change it.

I guess the most pertinent question for me is ... will the sound quality using the headphone jack into the HU give me CD quality sound (most of my MP3s are 320kps) ... or would it be more comparable to that of an FM transmitter set up.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

how much is the digital adapter for option A??

if it is $100-200 why not look into picking up an Ipod ready aftermarket Deck? sell your old one to get more money for the new one. if your gonna go all out to set this up, might as well do it right the first time.

Any sort of hard line connection will yield good sound quality.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Aug 14 2006, 09:05 AM Wrote:how much is the digital adapter for option A??

if it is $100-200 why not look into picking up an Ipod ready aftermarket Deck? sell your old one to get more money for the new one.  if your gonna go all out to set this up, might as well do it right the first time. 

Any sort of hard line connection will yield good sound quality.
[right][snapback]202306[/snapback][/right]
The Pioneer adaptor is only $50 US ... but according to the customer reviews on Crutchfield.com it's not a particularly good unit (it's slow to retrieve info from the iPod and doesn't support all iPod navigation functions) ... but I guess if I was changing decks I could go with a different brand. Certainly something to consider.

check the new clarion or alpine head units if your going the way of the iPod.

Clarion Option 1

Clarion Option 2

pretty much all the apline gear will suport iPods.
'03 Focus SVT