Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Battery/alt Problems - Question
I had my alternator replaced earlier this week, after having it completely die and the car shut down on the highway. Since then I have been having a few other problems and I am wondering if its related... First off, the car seems to struggle when I turn on the AC - the idle drops down and the car feels like it will stall. The battery light has flickered a few times. This doesn't happen all the time though - just some of the time. More frequently than that though, when I am slowing to a stop the idle drops down really low and the battery light flickers a bit but usually stays turned off. The car feels like it will stall when this happens, but giving it a bit of gas gets it going again.

I took the car back and had the charging system checked over again and they found no problems so I am wondering what could be up... here are the numbers they gave me - do they sound ok?

Alternator output - 118A, 13.85V
Battery power, car off - 11.3V, car on 12.8V

I didn't have any of these problems before getting the alternator replaced, so it seems pretty odd that they would happen now if they werent related.

Maybe the car just needs more time to relearn the idle conditions?

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
If the eye on the battery is still red.

take it out of the car.

Charge it fully at like 8 or 12a...

then let it trickle charge at 1 or 2a for a day or 2... (hopefully you have an automatic battery charger)

That will bring the battery back to life. not to mention it will reset your ECU again.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Ive been told the focus computer can remember things even with the battery out for up to 3 hours.

I dont know if its true or not but try leaving you battery disconnected for a bit and clear the computer out.
Might help.

Once in a while my car does that. When I come to a stop it will idle to low and want to stall. Never actually stalled just goes though the motions of trying lol.
2000 ZX3
Mason,Jul 21 2006, 09:40 AM Wrote:Ive been told the focus computer can remember things even with the battery out for up to 3 hours.

I dont know if its true or not but try leaving you battery disconnected for a bit and clear the computer out.
Might help.

Once in a while my car does that. When I come to a stop it will idle to low and want to stall. Never actually stalled just goes though the motions of trying lol.
[right][snapback]198330[/snapback][/right]

Yeah my first focus did that, but I have never had a problem with this one until now.

The eye on the battery is green again, and I did reset the ECU last night - but I only had the battery disconnected for about 15min. I think I will disconnect it overnight tonight to see if that helps.

(Why couldn't they just put a "reset" button on the thing?)

I don't have a battery charger, and looking at the prices of them at crappy tire, it would be cheaper and faster to just buy a new battery... but then its been tested and they say its ok so I don't know..
2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
I think its somthing build into the 00 and 02 foci.
I asked Ford at some point and he couldnt give me a good answer. He remembered hearing about it but thats all.
2000 ZX3
Mason,Jul 21 2006, 10:01 AM Wrote:I think its somthing build into the 00 and 02 foci.
I asked Ford at some point and he couldnt give me a good answer. He remembered hearing about it but thats all.
[right][snapback]198336[/snapback][/right]

Mines an 03. :(

Just sent a trade-in quote request to VW. Wonder what they will offer me for my 2003 Zx3 with 120K on it?

expect 5-7k...
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Jul 21 2006, 10:09 AM Wrote:expect 5-7k...
[right][snapback]198338[/snapback][/right]

Ouch. I still owe 10K. I looked on autotrader and saw one or two with the same mileage as me selling for 12-13K. Am I dreaming to hope to get the 10K I owe? Don't really want to start in a hole...

You are definatley starting in a hole... Unless they really wanna close the deal..

The highest offer i got on my 03 SVT - 80k on it at the time was 11400

Lowest 5500.... they thought it was a regular focus.
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Jul 21 2006, 10:23 AM Wrote:You are definatley starting in a hole... Unless they really wanna close the deal..

The highest offer i got on my 03 SVT - 80k on it at the time was 11400

Lowest 5500.... they thought it was a regular focus.
[right][snapback]198342[/snapback][/right]

Maybe Ill have to look at a 2005 instead of a brand new. I think you usually get better deals when you take something that is on the lot already etc.
lol... yeah, the 11400 was on a used maxima.

i'm one of the lucky ones who didn't have to trade in their car

GO EBAY!
05 Altima SE-R