Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atx Transmission Pump Problem
HI all

I had some leaking from my transmission and Ford replaced some bolts on the transmission pan and added some die to the transmission fluid to help trace any other leaks. They also suggested that I may need a new transmission pump but they wanted to try the die first, since the pump is "really expensive."

So my question is - has anyone had to replace their transmission pump, and if so how much did it run you? I have noticed a louder sort of "whirring" noise lately that gets a bit quieter as the engine warms up and so I am thinking this sound is probably that pump.

What am I looking at for cost and time to get this fixed if needed? Any ideas?

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
I see Pump assembly in the Ford CD I have here, but it doesnt mention if this pump is inside the tranny or not ( pics suck ). doesnt look like a big job, but that all depends if they have to seperate the tranny from the block or not...
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
you have to take the trans out. and partially dissassemble
SVT Motor Swap into 2000 zx3 with 5spd.
14.9 @ 93MPH
"I am going to run 5's .... I am planning on installing a rocket engine!"
boost til'bust,Jul 18 2006, 11:0 Wrote:you have to take the trans out. and partially dissassemble
[right][snapback]197945[/snapback][/right]

Yup just got back from the dealer - if the pump is shot, $2500. Whole tranny has to come out to get at the pump.

Thats when I take it down the street and trade it in for a TDI Golf. Rather put the 2500 into something new, than into my 2003 focus with 120K on it.

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
xappie,Jul 18 2006, 12:31 PM Wrote:Yup just got back from the dealer - if the pump is shot, $2500. Whole tranny has to come out to get at the pump.

Thats when I take it down the street and trade it in for a TDI Golf.  Rather put the 2500 into something new, than into my 2003 focus with 120K on it.
[right][snapback]197957[/snapback][/right]

$2,500? Geez, what would it cost to just throw in a new ATX tranny? $3,500?? :blink:

Yeah a major repair like that dump it rather than fix it, let someone else eat the cost.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jul 18 2006, 01:55 PM Wrote:
xappie,Jul 18 2006, 12:31 PM Wrote:Yup just got back from the dealer - if the pump is shot, $2500. Whole tranny has to come out to get at the pump.

Thats when I take it down the street and trade it in for a TDI Golf.  Rather put the 2500 into something new, than into my 2003 focus with 120K on it.
[right][snapback]197957[/snapback][/right]

$2,500? Geez, what would it cost to just throw in a new ATX tranny? $3,500?? :blink:

Yeah a major repair like that dump it rather than fix it, let someone else eat the cost.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]197960[/snapback][/right]

I totally agree, and agree on the model of VW as the prices of gas are getting near Katrina levels again.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
NefCanuck,Jul 18 2006, 12:55 PM Wrote:$2,500?  Geez, what would it cost to just throw in a new ATX tranny? $3,500?? :blink:
NefCanuck
[right][snapback]197960[/snapback][/right]

Thats what I asked the service advisor! He didn't answer.... <_<

Problem is I still owe more on the finance (about 10K) than it is worth, especially when you factor in the $2500 repair. So I would be starting in a pretty big hole to trade it in.

:(
you dont have any warranty left?

how many kms on your car?
PM me with your VIN...I can check if it has warranty for you.

Are they sure there is a pump problem? you mentioned a leak, is it leaking from the pump or what? sounds like no definate answers yet???

14.9 @ 93MPH
boost til'bust,Jul 18 2006, 04:4 Wrote:you dont have any warranty left?

how many kms on your car?
PM me with your VIN...I can check if it has warranty for you.

Are they sure there is a pump problem? you mentioned a leak, is it leaking from the pump or what? sounds like no definate answers yet???
[right][snapback]197982[/snapback][/right]

The car has 120 000KM on it - so no warranty left at all. The car actually died tonight on the highway. Completely lost all electrical systems, and after about 2KM the car shut down. Its back in the dealer now. When we popped the hood, the little charge indicator on the battery was red so its looking like something is up with the charging system.

I don't think this is related to the problems from earlier today with the transmission leaking though. I had noticed after work tonight before the car died that it was idling really high and there was a high pitched whining noise like an electric motor. Now I am thinking that it was idling higher to try and get the alternator pumping out more power, and the whining noise was the alternator. Guess Ill find out tomorrow.
If you love the car and are going to keep it... throw a whole new slushbox in there, direct from Ford. Never had to replace mine, but I guarantee you that's what I'd do in your shoes.

Or just get a new Focus :D
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Probably an alternator...they also are bad for corroded grounds.

so....2500 eh....

what is the breakdown on that? Parts vs labour? and what parts did they quote you?

I might be able to get a better price for you...if its just a leak, I wouldnt think it would need a pump, unless you have had any other trans concerns while driving. Probably just needs to be resealed.

I am the trans tech at Evans Ford...I see you are in mississauga, my dealer is located at dundas and hwy 427, so its probably not all that far away. Im pretty busy right now, ive got quite a few jobs on the go right now, but if you want to bring it by for me to check out your trans, I would be willing to check it out and give you a second opinion.
14.9 @ 93MPH
boost til'bust,Jul 18 2006, 11:2 Wrote:Probably an alternator...they also are bad for corroded grounds.

so....2500 eh....

what is the breakdown on that? Parts vs labour? and what parts did they quote you?

I might be able to get a better price for you...if its just a leak, I wouldnt think it would need a pump, unless you have had any other trans concerns while driving. Probably just needs to be resealed.

I am the trans tech at Evans Ford...I see you are in mississauga, my dealer is located at dundas and hwy 427, so its probably not all that far away. Im pretty busy right now, ive got quite a few jobs on the go right now, but if you want to bring it by for me to check out your trans, I would be willing to check it out and give you a second opinion.
[right][snapback]198032[/snapback][/right]

Yep, alternator is dead. Ford called me this morning and told me, but since the alt has a 5 year warranty at Crappy Tire from being replaced last year, I had the car towed over there and they are replacing it now. I only have to pay for labour.

There wasn't really an official quote for the trans pump and they are not saying that it needs to be replaced - they are just saying it MIGHT need to be. They fixed or tightened several bolts on the transmission pan and supposedly that is where the main leak was - but they also put some die in the fluid so that if it continues to leak they can trace where it is coming from.

I guess the alternator and transmission leak are two different issues, that just happened to occur on the same day. :(

Quick question - if the alternator was dying, would that cause the car to idle higher? I had noticed last night before it died that it was idling at about 1000 or 1200 RPM when I was sitting at a light or with the car stopped in gear or neutral and the engine running. I even turned of the AC to rule that out, but it kept idling really fast. I am thinking that the motor was running fast to try get the alt to give more power - would that make sense?

Otherwise, after all this I might STILL have an issue with the car idling fast. :(