Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Remove Tint?
I think I'm gonna go with the un-tinted look this weekend. I currently have s***ty Tint-King tints and they have gone purple over time. Not to mention one is damaged. (Hard to not notice it being the perfectionist I am)

I think I'm going to remove it all this weekend.

Questions...How do you remove it, wha preperations etc.... and how tough is it.

I'll have the car re tinted as soon as I come up with a couple hundered bucks.

anyone?

Bunny?
Your already gonna get it re-tinted some where so just ask what it will cost to have them remove it.
Ive never removed tint myself but I would think its a pain in the ass.
2000 ZX3
I think you have to heat it up with a heat gun.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
You do have to heat it with a heat gun- It is a bi*ch!! Depending on where it was done/how they did it.
Last time we did it there was glue left everywhere, I think Iit would be a better idea to wait and have the new tint peopel remove it- it would be worth the money!!
~~2000 Midnight Blue 5-speed ZX3~~

~*~Evo 3 Body Kit~*~17'' BSA Gunmetal Black rims~*~Cold Air Intake~*~Angel Eye Projector Headlights~*~7'' Yellow Fog Lights~*~Tinted Altezza Tails~*~PINK Underglow~*~

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
The guys I dealt with Lazer Tint in Woodbridge charge $150 to remove the old tint. I believe amonia based products remove the tint very well. If you see crappy tint jobs it's usually because poor quality tint was cleaned with windex which has amonia in it causing it to turn purple and peel off.
150 to remove????

WOAH!
Use a hair dryer...its not as hot as a heat gun...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
razor blade..(NEW ONE..or you'll scratch the s*** outta your windows) and any glass cleaner with amonia in it.

peel a corner of tint, spray....let it eat the adhesive a bit...pull, tug, yank...keep spraying...it'll eventually all come off. When it's all off, spray more on the window..and go over it with the Razor blade getting all the goopy adhesive off.

Easy Peasy
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
try a plastic razor blade first... less harmful than metal... and then you could use a solvent to get the glue off... don't bother with things like goo-gone its a waste of your time... you would need something more industrial... Hey brake cleaner may work... it works good on silicone, I just haven't tried it on tint. Just be careful not to get solvent or the glue all over your interior.

PS. Some tint companies (I don't agree with it) actually etch the glass a bit to get the tint to stick better....
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
i know this is kinda a old post... but removing tint is something people don't think of when they buy tint is taking it off... 3m tint will pull off leaving minimal glue behind.

tint turns blue over time because its cheaper quality tint... what you use to put it on with doesn't really matter on the color changing.

the best and only thing to use when applying tint is "johnsons baby shampoo" a couple drops in a spray bottle... other stuff might fog the tint.

and the best thing to remove the glue is warm soapy water (Joy brand) and a razer blade... with soap it won't scratch . and you won't bust your knuckles.

hope that helps...
Silver 2000 zx3: Cai w/ K&n X-Stream filter, Steeda Wires (blue), Ngk plugs, Steeda Badges, Carbon taillights, Tint 20/30, blue glow And steeda Springs sirius sat radio, 2.5" Custom mandrel bent catback
I remove the tint on 3 windows ( 2 doors and the hatch ) . It took me about 12 blades and a lot of windex just to make it slippery , just start in the middle and just scrape until your done , I don't think a heater will do much since the glue will stay on the window anyway , just use some patiente , it took me about 2 hours and I did a perfect job..Always have a new blade in your hand tho..
Martin !
...V8 RX7...

...[Image: stan.gif]