Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing Belt
Newbe,
Could some one please tell me how to set the timing on a 2 liter Zectec Vct (exhaust) I have the engine at TDC and the tooling ( flat bar) in the back on both camshafts. But I would like to know where does the exhaust cam gear have to be.
Does it have to be turned against cam timing ? or does it have to turned all the way with cam timing rotration. This engine broke the belt but it did not Kiss the valves any help would be great.
Stan :)
Basicly there should be some marks some where on the engine. Arrows to line up or somthing to that extent.
Did timing on a 1994 MX3 last year and that was what I had to do.
But let me tell you dont do it if your not sure what your doing. If you dont do it properly the belt will go again or possible engine damage may result.

But other then that. Ive never looked at the timing in my Zetec.
2000 ZX3
Can the timing be adjusted on this motor?
I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, as I pay people to do a better job than I ever will.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
^^^exectly
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Timing cannot be adjusted but the cam gear is partailly spring loaded on a VCT system. this is a serious problem if belt breaks. iirc there are not set timing marks on a VCT system so it's a matter of testing different cam settings untill you find the right one.

if the belt does not break and you are just changing the belt, i suggest making your own marks with white-out against a solid boject or using a ruler staright across the gears with the white out aswell. anything to serve as a reference for your timing marks.
Snap-on also sells a DOHC cam gear lock-tool so the timing does not slip. for $50cnd it is money weel spent. even if only used once on your focus, it will work on pretty much any belt driven DOHC engine aswell.
this may be only when the things are actually on the car, but on the head i have sitting in my garage I can try to spin them as hard as I wanty and it doesnt do a damned thing.

but yeah, dont let those gears slip or your timing will be buggered
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing Belt/Chain Lucster1000 4 4,708 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  svt timing belt sonic_mikey 6 6,314 07-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  When to change the timing belt? MIAjeff 6 2,785 05-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Timing Belt?or Serpentine? konafocuswrc 38 17,992 05-12-2009, 07:52 AM